XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have had my XF 2.7 D PL for about 3 weeks now and whilst I love the car I have a feeling all is not right. Yesterday I was driving along at about 60mph in drive when I meant to knock it into neutral, (after 3 weeks, I am still playing around...) anyway I was not careful enough as I expected the dial to stop at neutral and not allow me to continue to reverse.

It didn't...

There was a hard jolt and then the car went into a protect mode and would not come out of 2nd gear, neither would it come out of drive when I pulled up and put the parking brake on. Even after turning off and back on again it changed itself into park but would not come out of it again. It just said 'Warning - Gearbox malfunction'. :eek:

After using the key fob to reset it was OK but my question is should it be able to drop into reverse at this speed and should I go back to the dealership do you think?

Thanks

J

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
Jay said:
Hi all,

I have had my XF 2.7 D PL for about 3 weeks now and whilst I love the car I have a feeling all is not right. Yesterday I was driving along at about 60mph in drive when I meant to knock it into neutral, (after 3 weeks, I am still playing around...) anyway I was not careful enough as I expected the dial to stop at neutral and not allow me to continue to reverse.

It didn't...

There was a hard jolt and then the car went into a protect mode and would not come out of 2nd gear, neither would it come out of drive when I pulled up and put the parking brake on. Even after turning off and back on again it changed itself into park but would not come out of it again. It just said 'Warning - Gearbox malfunction'. :eek:

After using the key fob to reset it was OK but my question is should it be able to drop into reverse at this speed and should I go back to the dealership do you think?
Thanks
J

Hello Jay,
Welcome to the forum :)
It is the case that things can go wrong and then correct themselves after a restart. Of course when the fault develops it is worrying and it is right that you seek assistance.
You may not have noticed that we do have the facility to put questions directly to a dealer Service Manager and for that reason I have posted your question there for him to see.
It would be good to learn more about your car, perhaps you could post a picture or two, and also it would be good if you would complete some detail in your profile. :)
Questions to Service should be posted here:
http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=364

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pekem,

Thanks for the quick reply and for pointing me in the right direction for the post :)

I have updated my profile now, great site......really good source of information.

J

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
Thanks for updating your profile; another West Country man I see :)
Now we just need to see some pictures :!:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am fairly certain that the car does not really drop into reverse even when you select reverse gear by accident whilst you are driving forwards. The car will detect that you have made a mistake and go into fail-safe mode, as you noticed.

Trust me, the gearbox would not have selected the reverse gear cog as you would definitely know about that as it would wreck your car!

The gear selector indicator should flash if you select reverse when it is not appropriate to do so.

Others can correct me if I am wrong but that is my understanding. If such a failsafe measure was not built into the vehicle with the type of gear change selector that the XF has then Jaguar would have been replacing many engines and gearboxes by now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Roma,

I don't disagree with you at all, I just remember that when I did it the jolt was similar to that you would expect if some one was to bump into the back of you at a roundabout.

I did then go into safe mode, but the thing I was worried about is that why would the selector even allow you to turn to 'R' when you are driving?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Selecting N on ANY automatic gearbox when travelling at any speed let alone 60mph is not very sensible and you were fortunate that the gearbox design prevented damage after R was also selected at this speed.I hope that nobody from Jaguar reads this forum as imagine trying to make a warranty claim after admitting to this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, i know,

I engaged 'muppet mode' before this happened, needless to say it will not be happening again.
:oops:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey SN08 TOM,

Yep, i sure did although it is going back there on the 31st as the drivers side vent sounds like a creaky barn door at the moment and there may be an issue with the heated front seats they are going to look at for me.

Did you get your from there too then?

Jay

·
Registered
19 Posts
My understanding is that from neutral to any gear, forward or reverse can not be selected as the selector gear knob can not be moved till the brake pedal as some pressure on it
If this is not the case there could be a fault

·
Registered
196 Posts
yes jay mines from hartwells keep your eyes open for me in bristol/bath .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts