XF Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my first Jaguar and having a little rough ride slipping into what I hope is the right vehicle choice. I came from a 2012 BMW X1 MSport 2.0 diesel (chipped to 236BHP) 6 speed manual, loved the solid grip and handling of that small SUV. That said I simply fell in love with the look of the XF it just looks like it's speeding along when parked! The simple smooth lines and silhouette are just magical! oops sorry, getting carried away there. I have owned her about three weeks and she is a silver XFS 2009 TD 3.0 with 40K on the clock and registered Jag service record. I drove her home from Coventry to Hampshire and apart from the front wheels shaking between 50-70 she drove fine. However come day 4, the dreaded red warning symbol of "Restricted performance" appeared. I took her straight to JagCare of Portsmouth, as I read they have a really good reputation. They diagnosed the vehicle twice and confirmed that the right hand second turbo valve actuator is faulty and will need replacing! £547 part and 2 hours labour @ £140 which I am now waiting for the garage where I purchased the vehicle to shoulder that cost (as I have no desire in returning the car to Coventry which is a day out from Hampshire!) ...still waiting their response, as it is supposedly under warrantee.

Now to address that wheel shake! or what I thought should be a simple wheel balancing and tracking task, it is now worrying me a little. I shelled out £150 for all four corners to be tracked and balanced at a local Mitre garage. Sadly, I am experiencing exact same issue, it is unresolved, no change! no matter what the wheel alignment diagram report shows, it still shakes between 50-70mph. Could it be disc brake judder? track rod end bushes? wobbly egg shaped wheels or tyres (20" rims) my next task will be to swap the front wheels to the back and evaluate the outcome...so you can at least forgive my apprehension on not completely feeling the love for her, but I won't give up on her yet, she simply looks gorgeous. This weekend I replaced the tailgate gas struts and spring grommet, to enable the boot lid to fully open on demand, as opposed to just peep unlocked! I also upgraded all front hi-low beam and side light bulbs to LED. next weekend, the interior, puddle lamps and registration plate bulbs, that is, once I have resolved the Turbo Actuator issue and wheel shake! There is a beautiful driving experience to be had, I just know it,.... soon!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing. The 'wobble' issue could well be tyre related. I had a vibration/wobble on the rear of my previous X type, I thought it was the wheel bearings, but it turned out to be the tyres had worn and gone out of shape. New tyres sorted it. Of course it could also be any of the other things you mentioned! Good luck in getting it sorted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing. The 'wobble' issue could well be tyre related. I had a vibration/wobble on the rear of my previous X type, I thought it was the wheel bearings, but it turned out to be the tyres had worn and gone out of shape. New tyres sorted it. Of course it could also be any of the other things you mentioned! Good luck in getting it sorted.
Thanks for the welcome Ricardo, you maybe right, I still have confidence, she will perform as she was designed to, once I give her a little attention. The garage where I purchased it, confirmed that they will pay the invoice of any repairs/replacement of the turbo actuator. So I now need to source an original one and book it in!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By way of an update, (if anyone is remotely interested) my new cat is now at Harwoods of Chichester as Jagcare of Portsmouth said that the Turbo Actuator which I require is not in stock and may take two months+ before they get can one? ...really? So I contacted Harwoods, who were equally just as confused regarding JagCare's response. Harwoods have them in stock! so why did Jagcare not contact Harwoods for the part, who are a Jag/Aston Martin /Land Rover registered garage? Why am I not surprised? it seems that I always end up dealing with this type of situation myself! Garages rarely wish to apply themselves, demonstrate a little curtesy, or care, or the desire to naturally extend a little service to a customer! Of course, Harwoods invoice will be heavier, especially when associated with Aston Martin's. I personally did not want to leave their showroom and workshop on Saturday, when I dropped the vehicle off! beautiful showroom packed full of gorgeous looking (and sounding) vehicles!. I even wiped my feet upon entering their showroom! Apologies, I drifted again, however, they insisted on diagnosing the vehicle via their own team (I suppose that makes sense) but of course, that is also chargeable! So, hopefully, it may not be a faulty turbo actuator, (not my luck!) maybe just a full DPF which needs cleaning! lets just hope it is not even more serious and she is returned Tuesday for me to begin enjoying!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts