XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.7 diesel, 3000 miles : after keeping an eye on the trip meter, on motorway runs i have been getting approx. 34 plus mpg doing steady speeds of approx 70mph.
i recently completed a journey of 275 miles of which approx. 240 miles was motorway. this time keeping speed at approx 80mph.
this time the trip recorded mpg of 39 plus.
could this mean that the engine is more efficient at this higher speed ?
or the trip meter recorded incorrectly.
am somewhat confused ??.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
I do not encounter motorways often and as a result drive at a slower average speed and after nearly 5000 miles the MPG average is indicating 34.6
I have the feeling that motorway driving at speeds of around 60 mph produce the fastest updating of the Fuel MPG meter. It might be true at lower speeds but of course it is difficult to maintain lower speeds on a motorway and therefore not possible to see.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
On a recent 2000 mile trip to SE Bavaria the car averaged 37.9 mpg, including a week of short runs near Munich. Autoroute and autobahn cruising speeds tended to be between 85 - 120 mph

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
On a recent 2000 mile trip to SE Bavaria the car averaged 37.9 mpg, including a week of short runs near Munich. Autoroute and autobahn cruising speeds tended to be between 85 - 120 mph
It begs the question, what would be achieved on those roads at signifcantly lower speeds.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
pekem said:
It begs the question, what would be achieved on those roads at signifcantly lower speeds.
The XF had only done 1200 miles when we set off in convoy with my son's TT Mk2 3.2. (He managed 31.2 mpg) When we reached Vilsbiburg 800 miles later the trip mpg was showing 38.3 at an average speed of 69 mph despite extensive roadworks on the Stuttgart-Munich Autobahn. Once the engine has loosened up and sticking to 70/80 I'm sure 40+ mpg is achievable. One big advantage of Continental driving is free flowing traffic and no mini bloody roundabouts !

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Vapourgrey said:
pekem said:
The XF had only done 1200 miles when we set off in convoy with my son's TT Mk2 3.2. (He managed 31.2 mpg) When we reached Vilsbiburg 800 miles later the trip mpg was showing 38.3 at an average speed of 69 mph despite extensive roadworks on the Stuttgart-Munich Autobahn. Once the engine has loosened up and sticking to 70/80 I'm sure 40+ mpg is achievable. One big advantage of Continental driving is free flowing traffic and no mini bloody roundabouts !
Now the question is; were you loaded to the gunnels with both passengers and luggage?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
There was moi, she who must be obeyed and her suitcase (complete with kitchen sink of course) and my suitcase which was a bit lighter. I saved a lot of time at the Toll Booths by not having to queue and pay as I have a Sanef LiberT telepeage that gives access to the restricted auto peage lane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts