XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autocar has placed the Mercedes E350 CDI first ahead of the XF 3.0D and BMW 3.0D. Basically because it is the most refined, comfortable and spacious of the three. Interestingly Andrew Frankel reckons it's worth paying £3000 more for the 3.0D S.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm prepared to sacrifice a little comfort and refinement (which I doubt is the case), in order to drive a car without all the asthetic qualities of a soap box go cart. :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's another one of those cars that are technically great in every way (excluding looks for this one, though, although I don't mind the Coupe) but leaves you feeling cold. There's no excitement in an E-Class. It does what it's supposed to do, no more no less. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taxi drivers will love it and it is priced to sell, but the "styling" is boring, inside and out. I too quite like the coupe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
penultimateblack said:
Autocar has placed the Mercedes E350 CDI first ahead of the XF 3.0D and BMW 3.0D. Basically because it is the most refined, comfortable and spacious of the three. Interestingly Andrew Frankel reckons it's worth paying £3000 more for the 3.0D S.

Does this mean they reckon that the E350 CDI doesn't beat the 3.0D S?

Also were they comparing it to the Portfolio or the PL or even the Luxury?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dcsxf said:
penultimateblack said:

Does this mean they reckon that the E350 CDI doesn't beat the 3.0D S?

Also were they comparing it to the Portfolio or the PL or even the Luxury?
They were comparing the XF 3.0D Premium Luxury with Mercedes E350 CDI Avantgarde & the BMW 530D M Sport. The harder M Sport ride let the BMW down. Anyway it was a very close call. The 3.0D S was pitted against the 535D a couple of weeks ago, when it came out on top - just.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The more I read road tests and then drive the cars they refer to, the less I believe them. I haven't driven the E-Class, but the C-Class Sport I drove I seriously considered taking back 20 minutes in to our 2 hour test drive. If M-B have returned to their "roots" in the E-Class as the article suggests, that can only be a good thing as their attempt at chasing the 3-Series was just harsh and unpleasant.

As for knocking the XF's controls, my wife completely failed to tune the radio via the M-B's "COMAND" system, we got a display on the screen resembling a 1950s radiogram, but failed to actually tune a station. The XF's choice of touchscreen, buttons or steering wheel controls are simple and intuitive by comparison.

No-one ever bought a Jaguar for the interior space, so I can live with that and enjoy the styling (as Ian Callum intended). One thing I did notice though is that the E-Class comes with standard Bi-Xenons (at least the 350CDI) - personally I would have preferred those as standard on the XF instead of navigation. But I'm not sure why they didn't compare the M-B with the Luxury XF at £33900, which would have been fairer.

Anyway, I won't be cancelling my order!

Mark

·
Registered
306 Posts
If they kept printing the same thing they wouldn't sell magazines.

Or am I just cynical?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I went in to my local MB dealer on the weekend and thought the "E" was an ugly car and the coupe was not a lot better although I did like the light grey colour. After 10 years with MB I have found the styling on all the models starting with the new SL, to be going the way of BMW with Bangle, even the CLS which I was considering when I bought the XF, to be not as attractive as I thought it was.

gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a Mercedes owner commented to me recently, the new Mercedes styling theme at the front end is very "butch".
I think it is a throw back to the Lexus with the separate parallelogram lights and very retrograde!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I thought that MB had split with Chrysler, but the new Mercs have the same styling as Dodge :eek:
All square and as you say "butch".

Very odd and not in the least "premium".

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have just noticed that in the Autocar (29 July) top five Mid-sized execs the MB E320 CDI is now number one with the Jaguar XF 3.0D S second, followed by the BMW 530d, Lexus GS450h and Audi A6 3.0 TDI.

Firstly there is no (new) MB E320 CDI the XF 3.0D is the equivalent Model to the new E350 CDI, which I assume they meant. :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think in isolation the E looks ok. Unfortunately when considering it against the XF, it instantly looks cold, clinical and not at all welcoming and most importantly (for me) lacking any personality whatsoever.
If I had an E Class I'd probably feel less attached to it than my dishwasher, and that cost a lot less than £35K :shock:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just out of morbid curiosity I looked at the basic specs of the Mercedes compared to the premium luxury XF.

To say the mercedes is slightly less well equipped as standard would be an understatement.

£1150 fo Sat Nav, standard on the XF
Reversing camera only available if you have the £2100+ entertainment upgrade
£390 for folding rear seats
£1150 for fully electric seats with memory and steering wheel easy exit etc...

Ill stick with the Jaguar thanks. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts