·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To all who attempted to view my post and got hit by persistent requests to log in, my apologies for forgetting to remove the password for my .mac public folder.

Thanks!

Roy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ta!

Hope to take a few more shots today. This time with a polariser to cut out the reflections.

Will put those up when possible.

Roy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More of Gabi

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rear end was what prompted me to get Gabi!

Ha ha!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

'Gabi' is a diminutive form of Gabriela, which is the feminine equivalent of the Hebrew name, Gabriel, meaning 'God is my strength' or 'man of God'. I suppose the name's interpretation is academic, but Biblically, Gabriel was the archangel God sent to great men of faith such as Daniel, amongst others. Gabriel was also sent to Mary to tell her she was God's chosen vessel for the conception and birth of Christ.

There's something very graceful about the XF that I do not view it as masculine.

Indeed, God IS my strength. Amen!

Craig, there's another 'Craig' on another XF forum, xfforum.com/community. Might that person be you?

Roy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More of Gabi

The teddy on the back seat is mine, not my son's. Muahaha! He's name is Pork Chop because of his fur colour.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, sir!

Roy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More Shots

Am I going overboard with my 'love affair' with Gabi?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A few taken earlier in the day.

See the livery on the tailfin of this aircraft?

The difference between this picture and the previous one is where I metered. This was spot-metered on the rim. Previous shot was average-metered across the whole frame. It was actually as dark as the previous picture.

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ That is one of the best night shots i've ever seen of the XF. I bet even Jaguar themselves would be interested in something like that. That is brochure material.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Roma said:
^ That is one of the best night shots i've ever seen of the XF. I bet even Jaguar themselves would be interested in something like that. That is brochure material.
Thanks very much for the comments, Roma. I beg to differ about the brochure stuff but it's appreciated.

I do like the 'darkness' of some of the night shots but the background is too cluttered, don't you think? I feel the night shots would work better if there was more sky than trees. That would contrast better with the car. The thing is that Singapore is so built up that it's hard to find nice open spaces. I had to resort to going to my grandmother's for the shots but realised there were too many trees! Anyway, maybe I can reposition Gabi.

My granny's got an XJ6 3.0 in the garage. Wouldn't be a bad idea to photograph Gabi with it. The XJ's Indigo, too! Ha ha!

Roy

·
Administrator
22,496 Posts
I am interested in the townscape of your picture number 4. It is hard to imagine how you had the nerve to take that picture. It appears that you are stopped in traffic at a junction and yet your car is without the driver. Here in the UK the road markings underneath your car would indicate that you are parked illegally. I know that there is pressure on space in Singapore but it seems that you can park pretty freely or is it that the perspective just causes me to think that?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pekem said:
I am interested in the townscape of your picture number 4. It is hard to imagine how you had the nerve to take that picture. It appears that you are stopped in traffic at a junction and yet your car is without the driver. Here in the UK the road markings underneath your car would indicate that you are parked illegally. I know that there is pressure on space in Singapore but it seems that you can park pretty freely or is it that the perspective just causes me to think that?
Pekem, the pictures were taken while I was waiting by the roadside for my family to get some takeaway for lunch at my outlaws. It's within a trendy lifestyle area called Holland Village, although the only thing remotely Dutch-like is a faux windmill adorning the side of a small shopping mall.

The single yellow zig-zag line allows cars to stop to ingest or purge passengers but no waiting. Double yellow zig-zags means no stopping at all. Locals, like myself, bend the rules a little for a brief moment of convenience. I also took the opportunity to quickly grab some shots of Gabi. The appearance of a meter maid would have sent me scrambling! Where I parked was also a dead-end, adding to the 'liberty'. The car behind me was empty, the driver having traipsed off somewhere. The car in front drove off shortly after the shots were taken.

Traffic there isn't bad on a Saturday morning/afternoon but parking is limited and usually a mindless drive-around.

If the foregoing sounds like a weak attempt at excusing myself, it is!

Coming back to your question, it's the perspective. I parked there because it wasn't a hindrance to anyone. If I had to leave the car, I'd have parked properly. On the other hand, very many drivers here stop or park indiscriminately.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gabi is at the shop. A Jaguar engineer is in town, interested Gabi's hiccups.

He said the XF's got a 'flight recorder' and the information will be sucked out and sent back to the UK for examination to understand why she hesitates in 2nd gear while under load. Am quietly hoping that Gabi gets a V8 heart transplant. Muahaha!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts