XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I decided to measure my XF’s performance 0-60, 40-70 & 70-100 times, I did this using a road angle GPS set with an alert to chime in when I hit the relative speed to try to eliminate any variability.

All times were don with eth gearbox in S modes and for the 0-60 1st gear being selected, well what a shock!!, I measured a few times to even out minor discrepancies and here are the times:

0-60mph: best time 10.07s!!!! (6 runs each way from 10.07 - 10.78)
40-70mph: bst time 9.4s
70-100mph best time 13.07s

Jeez, by GPS may be a split second vs actual but 2.3 second off the claimed 0-60!!, I am gob smacked.
To clarify the car only had me in (12 stone), and was full of fuel (Shell diesel), no wheelspin, no traction flashing. I just came to a halt, selected 1st in S mode, off the footbrake and nailed it.

I know this wasn’t a scientific test but even so not breaking 10s (I even turned the aircon off to help). As I posted before I knew it felt slow but this really shocked me.

Has anyone or can anyone measure their car using a GPS to correlate the figures.

I emailed jaguar last week about a few issues and I’m awaiting for a reply, I’m glad I did this as I now have some ammunition.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I knew this wasnt fool proof but even taking it into account it's still only managing 9s 0-60 times

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
rclifford said:
Thanks for that, I knew this wasnt fool proof but even taking it into account it's still only managing 9s 0-60 times
What Car quotes 8.9 sec 0-60 in it's Car of the Year edition.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took Vapourgreys advice and measured it manually to an indicated 65mph (my gps shows as 60) with much more consistency measuring 9.28, 9.14, 9.28 & 9.16 each way showing a slight gradient in the road I tested it on. Still a disapointing 20% off Jaguars claim.

What about getting a poll going, we all have mobiles now with stopwatchs, test your accelleration to an indicated 65mph and post the results.

On the bright side this has took my mind of the sreeching air vent everytime it opens and closes ;)

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
rclifford said:
I took Vapourgreys advice and measured it manually to an indicated 65mph (my gps shows as 60) with much more consistency measuring 9.28, 9.14, 9.28 & 9.16 each way showing a slight gradient in the road I tested it on. Still a disapointing 20% off Jaguars claim.

What about getting a poll going, we all have mobiles now with stopwatchs, test your accelleration to an indicated 65mph and post the results.

On the bright side this has took my mind of the sreeching air vent everytime it opens and closes ;)

You need "The Stig"
:lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually if you have an iphone ot ipod touch you can use this to measure acceleration, bhp and g force etc:

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!

Some of the performance metrics Dynolicious can measure:

0-60 Acceleration
1/4 Mile Elapsed Time
Lateral G's
Horsepower
Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing. Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing you averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses. [/color]

http://dynolicious.com/index.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
very interesting wanderer, i now need to go rest my eyes , any chance of black on white next time ..pretty please.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Wanderer said:
Actually if you have an iphone ot ipod touch you can use this to measure acceleration, bhp and g force etc:

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!

Some of the performance metrics Dynolicious can measure:

0-60 Acceleration
1/4 Mile Elapsed Time
Lateral G's
Horsepower
Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing. Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing you averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses. [/color]

http://dynolicious.com/index.html
According to some, the Dynolicious is fine for the money but not really accurate enough.
Read what testers made of it.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/01/dynolicious-vs-v-box-and-dynojet/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I've given Dynolicious a go and the best I could do (on a very wet track) was 8.4 sec 0-60. That makes me .7 sec off the published spec; which I believe is not too bad taking into account that the car is probably not run in yet, and also the wet track.

Even if Dynolicious is not bang on, I think it's a nice gadget to have to see how things change over time.

I've also got an MX-5 and a Ford Explorer, so I'll give it a go in that to see how they perform; and then I'll give it a go in my boat.

So, all-in I think it's going to be £7.99 well spent!

Cheers
Kenny

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
kennyh said:
Well I've given Dynolicious a go and the best I could do (on a very wet track) was 8.4 sec 0-60. That makes me .7 sec off the published spec; which I believe is not too bad taking into account that the car is probably not run in yet, and also the wet track.

Even if Dynolicious is not bang on, I think it's a nice gadget to have to see how things change over time.

I've also got an MX-5 and a Ford Explorer, so I'll give it a go in that to see how they perform; and then I'll give it a go in my boat.

So, all-in I think it's going to be £7.99 well spent!

Cheers
Kenny
Now that would be a worthwhile application, the last time I had a boat - pre GPS - speed was not easy to ascertain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts