XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having decided that I needed to tidy up the brake calipers, I took the opportunity to detail the Alloys whilst they were off the car. The fronts were worse than the rears and the nearside front was shocking - I don't know what had been used previously, but this one alloy alone took over 4hrs to get clean, the rest 2-3 hrs each.

Used brake cleaner to hose the calipers off before using wet 'n dry paper to remove the rest of the loose material, then gave them two coats of smooth silver hammerite.

For the Alloys I used the following method and products (all Autoglym, I'm fairly brand loyal!)

• Powerwash with the Karcher K2
  • Snow foam with AG Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner (BCS)
  • Powerwash
  • AG Clean Wheels to loosen the dirt
  • Two bucket method (again using AG's BSC)
  • Rinse
  • AG's Tar Remover where necassary
  • Fine and medium pads to remove ingrained dirt and brake dust
  • Rinse
  • Polished inside and out with Super Resin Polish (Great product for filling fine scratches) and buffed
  • Extra Gloss protection and buffed
  • Finished off with Alloy Wheel Sealant
They're no smooth as silk - still a few small blemishes and very small chips, but much better than they were!

Before:

After:

Lot of work, but shouldn't need this much work again for a long time - if ever.

Now just got the rest of the car to do! (can't wait.)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow. They look stunning ALSA.
I've just spent five hours myself polishing and sealing my car.
Just got wheels to do myself and plan to use Super Resin Polish as well. Best way I think :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mate,

Did the car yesterday with pretty much the same routine:

AG Power Wash (pretty good product - foams well from the standard Karcher Snow Lance), the rinse, 2 BM with SBC, Rinse, 2 coats for SRP and then a coat of EGP. Fast Glass on the windows and screens and AG's chrome polish on the 'zaust

And the ubiquitous reflection shots!

·
Registered
157 Posts
A super job - a nice set of Jaguar dust caps would finish the wheels nicely !

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW, they look as good as new. If all your alloys are in as good a nick, I'm jealous. Kerbs on the ramps into work car park are very narrow and my rims are a disgrace. Will be getting a nice clean soon though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts