XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Everytime I start the car I get the following message "low battery system will shut down in 1 minute". The car then starts and and the message goes away but things like the air con need to switched on manually.

I first start getting this message a year ago so I changed the battery and it was fine for a while but has come back.

I'm looking for any advise before I change the smaller battery of the two.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Yep, sounds like the battery. I would have expected it to be the large battery throwing up this fault as the smaller one is for the Stop/Start functionality, so keep that in mind. If the batteries prove to not be the issue, then the charging circuit i.e. alternator would be my best second guess.
Bear in mind I have no practical experience with this sort of problem on an XF, I'm just going by memory of past posters on this forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Get your main battery CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) tested, if this is low you will get that error display and it will be time for a new battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

Everytime I start the car I get the following message "low battery system will shut down in 1 minute". The car then starts and and the message goes away but things like the air con need to switched on manually.

I first start getting this message a year ago so I changed the battery and it was fine for a while but has come back.

I'm looking for any advise before I change the smaller battery of the two.
I've had the same problem for the last 3 years. Two new batteries and full test of charging system.
If driven regularly for reasonable distances, there is no issue, but if only used for short journeys and left on the drive for 3 days, the battery just dies. Modern, top end cars just eat the juice. (Had the same with my previous BMW X5). My dealer was aware of this problem and suggested that a trickle charge be attached every night to rectify the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had the same problem for the last 3 years. Two new batteries and full test of charging system.
If driven regularly for reasonable distances, there is no issue, but if only used for short journeys and left on the drive for 3 days, the battery just dies. Modern, top end cars just eat the juice. (Had the same with my previous BMW X5). My dealer was aware of this problem and suggested that a trickle charge be attached every night to rectify the problem.
What type of battery was fitted at factory and what type have you fitted now?
I have a 2012 3.0l D XF and when I replaced the battery with the AGM with the correct CCA and Amp Hours that was originally fitted at the factory, I no longer had power issues or the collection of random error messages/fault codes that go with the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What type of battery was fitted at factory and what type have you fitted now?
I have a 2012 3.0l D XF and when I replaced the battery with the AGM with the correct CCA and Amp Hours that was originally fitted at the factory, I no longer had power issues or the collection of random error messages/fault codes that go with the issue.
I have the standard AGM Stop/Start 80 ah battery with 800 cca, which is the same as the original battery when I bought the car 4 years ago.(2015 2.2 Sportbrake auto). Living on a small island, the car does not get enough use, so the charge is never really full. I keep it on trickle charge regularly, and have fitted a battery isolation switch for when the car is not in use for a period. When I take the car to the mainland and cover large distances, the battery charges sufficiently and the stop/start actually works sometimes. I highlighted my situation in case Michael was in a similar position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts