XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a Low Battery warning pop message up on the screen before starting the engine? It has happened a couple of times while entering Nav data. As the ignition was only on for two or three minutes I have been treating the messages as spurious.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's probably a warning that your battery is being drained rather than a 'low battery' warning. Having the satnav and A/C on without the engine running will always generate this warning. It's basically just telling you to switch everything off or start the engine so that the alternator can recharge the battery.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Roma, to save the battery I always switch off the climate control when the electrics are live and the engine isn't running.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have had this indication quite often.
After a motorway journey of approx. 140 miles, i parked with radio on for 15 minutes & the warning sign appeared.
the following day, it appeared again & went into dealer. after checking battery, was advised that it was low & to put it on charge for 24 hours.
this was done, but coincidentally a couple of days later the car would not start (nothing to do with battery), jaguar service attended & fixed the car.. the engineer also checked battery & shower fully charged. several days later, the sign started to show again on start up.
the current situation is that it still sometimes appears for no reason.
i have taken no further action.
i did have a comment from a jaguar engineer that he thought the car had such a large drain on the battery that a 2nd battery would not be out of place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There is a battery condition monitoring module attached to the positive terminal of the battery which senses battery voltage and shows this warning as a precaution before the battery becomes discharged to a point when it wouldnt start the engine.The radio and satnav will work without the "ign" on by pressing the volume control in which turns on the display allowing you to use the functions with minimal drain.
As an aside, after the car is locked the current draw from the battery is approx 6 amps for 10 mins when it should slowly shut down to no more than 20ma for the security sensors.If you have a look at my topic "Snow and cold weather advice" you will see I had this back in January .I hope this helps.

G

·
0 Posts
sodgob said:
I have had this indication quite often.
After a motorway journey of approx. 140 miles, i parked with radio on for 15 minutes & the warning sign appeared.
the following day, it appeared again & went into dealer. after checking battery, was advised that it was low & to put it on charge for 24 hours.
this was done, but coincidentally a couple of days later the car would not start (nothing to do with battery), jaguar service attended & fixed the car.. the engineer also checked battery & shower fully charged. several days later, the sign started to show again on start up.
the current situation is that it still sometimes appears for no reason.
i have taken no further action.
i did have a comment from a jaguar engineer that he thought the car had such a large drain on the battery that a 2nd battery would not be out of place.
After a 140 mile journey the battery should be fully charged. There is no way that 15 minutes of powering ancillaries should trigger a 'Low Battery Warning'. It is probably caused by one of the following:

1) The battery condition module mentioned by Selseymech is faulty & triggering at too higher voltage.

2) The battery has a faulty cell which is causing a significant voltage drop under low loads.

3) The alternator is not producing enough output to charge the battery & power the electrics.

My money would be on number 2. This would explain why the battery was low when the dealer tested it despite the 140 mile journey.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Selseymech said:
There is a battery condition monitoring module attached to the positive terminal of the battery which senses battery voltage and shows this warning as a precaution before the battery becomes discharged to a point when it wouldnt start the engine.The radio and satnav will work without the "ign" on by pressing the volume control in which turns on the display allowing you to use the functions with minimal drain.
As an aside, after the car is locked the current draw from the battery is approx 6 amps for 10 mins when it should slowly shut down to no more than 20ma for the security sensors.If you have a look at my topic "Snow and cold weather advice" you will see I had this back in January .I hope this helps.
Many thanks for that info Selseymech. During two years of XF ownership I have been under the impression that the ignition has to be on to program the satnav of listen to the radio. I should have picked it up in the opening paragraph of Audio unit operation, however in my defence I can't find any reference to it in the Navigation Chapter :oops: :oops:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts