XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello forum members,
I realised a dream just before Christmas and bought a 2011 XF S with 70,000 miles and full service history. It drives superbly and in the last 5 weeks I’ve put on over 4000 kilometres with trips over the holidays from Ingolstadt, Germany, to Staffordshire and back and also into the Alps with no problems whatsoever.

And no speeding tickets through the post yet. Then last week the dreaded battery red warning lamp lit up and within a day, driving into the car park at work, a clunk from the front right wheel and the warning panel lit up like a Christmas tree.

Stuck in drive, gearbox warning, EBD (?) warning, but I managed to park it. So I replaced the battery after trawling the forums and drove home wondering why the battery warning lamp was still on. Alternator maybe? Or the battery needs to be re-learnt into the systems? Anyway, this morning, started with no problem, but after 6 kilometres the whole car just shut down. In horrendous traffic. Jesus. My first ever Jaguar owning experience was about to get a bit twisted!

So, I managed to get it brought home on a low-loader and am now wondering what to do...I think I’ll have to charge the ‘new’ battery up to bursting and try to limp to the nearest Jaguar Dealer about 30 clicks away and look forward to paying a labour charge of €174 an hour! Or have any forum members here a better idea? I’m a bit clueless when it comes to modern car electronics.
Cheers,
Jon.

4F5BE3AD-5D28-45C1-A88F-98BD3EC27554.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Sounds like your alternator may be inop.

You can visually check the alternator/belts/etc, but also, if you have a multimeter test out the voltages.

If you don't own one, you should buy a LiION battery charger and keep in the trunk - they are great for these emergencies - just clip them on the dead battery and drive away.

All in all, not such a bad problem - replacing a faulty alternator or regulator or belt is no big deal.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. Yes, a multimeter is what I need now. But you’ve intrigued me with the Lithium Ion battery charger comment. How can that work without a 240 volt power supply? Or did you mean a battery booster like most recovery services carry with them? This chap yesterday had a booster and just plugged it into the battery in the boot and it started up straight away. I hope it didn’t damage anything as the manual says do not attach jumper leads directly to the negative pole on the battery to avoid damage to the BMS (?).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Interestingly I just had a little glitch on mine.
On Thursday car started and had gearbox failure alarm, turned off and back on, all was well but engine management light was on. Drove home and back to work next day and light stayed on.
Called jaguar assist and they sent a JLR man out , he checked it out and said it was a software issue and should be ok after he reset it.
But said that the battery was a little low 12.1v and these cars heavily load the battery, especially in the cold weather when the car goes into defrost on start up, he also said if I took it to a dealer they would change the battery even though it probably just needs a charge, I have charged it and is now back to 13v, hopefully the problem will stay away. I also had this before on my 09 car, lots of alarms and problems, then charged the battery and they went away.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Yes, a multimeter is what I need now. But you’ve intrigued me with the Lithium Ion battery charger comment. How can that work without a 240 volt power supply? Or did you mean a battery booster like most recovery services carry with them? This chap yesterday had a booster and just plugged it into the battery in the boot and it started up straight away. I hope it didn’t damage anything as the manual says do not attach jumper leads directly to the negative pole on the battery to avoid damage to the BMS (?).
This is what I have on my Jeep:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-UltraSafe-Lithium-Starter/dp/B016UG6PWE/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=battery+booster+noco&qid=1548019938&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

And a smaller one on my sports car.

You can run the car for about 1 hr even after a dead battery and dead alternator. Just clip and go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
But said that the battery was a little low 12.1v and these cars heavily load the battery, especially in the cold weather when the car goes into defrost on start up, he also said if I took it to a dealer they would change the battery even though it probably just needs a charge, I have charged it and is now back to 13v, hopefully the problem will stay away. I also had this before on my 09 car, lots of alarms and problems, then charged the battery and they went away.
Interesting reading. Thanks Mick. So, good that I invested in a CTEK charger and hard wired it in and have been charging overnight. Bloody -8 degrees doesn’t help. I’ve borrowed a multimeter and measured 13.5 volts on the battery poles after about 20 hours of CTEK fancy aftercare (reached phase 4). I’ll now try it with the engine running...
Edit: and the voltage dropped to 12.1 when running the engine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Thanks Baron, a good tip. I thought they would have cost much more, I’ve obviously been out of touch for the last decade.
You can thank Tesla for the decrease in LiION battery costs. You can buy a good size NOCO charger that fits in your glove box for $99 that will start your XF without a battery in sub zero weather. And will also charge your phone, etc to boot if you ever lose power at home or go camping.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Edit: and the voltage dropped to 12.1 when running the engine.
Unless I'm missing something in the text here; that indicates a dud alternator. With the engine running, the alternator should establish on or just over 14 volts across the battery. A lead acid battery from memory needs a minimum of 13.8 volts to reverse the chemistry (ie charge).
NM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unless I'm missing something in the text here; that indicates a dud alternator. With the engine running, the alternator should establish on or just over 14 volts across the battery. A lead acid battery from memory needs a minimum of 13.8 volts to reverse the chemistry (ie charge).
NM
Yes, the alternator is being replaced at this very moment. I'm not looking forward to the bill!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hello & welcome, sounds like you are getting your problem sorted. Battery should be 12.6 at rest, 14.3 when engine running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello & welcome, sounds like you are getting your problem sorted. Battery should be 12.6 at rest, 14.3 when engine running.
Hi and thank you. I’m still waiting as they haven’t received the ordered part yet but I also asked for a heads up on the price....over €800 just for the alternator gulp. Plus fitting. That’s given the missus loads of ammunition!

·
Registered
203 Posts
That is a ridiculous price. It would be worth trying to find out if there is any need for a Jaguar-specific alternator (I would be inclined to doubt it) or if an off-the-shelf alternative can be sourced. Maybe one for the technical area of the forum ?
NM

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good morning JonR.
I read with interest that you have invested in a CTEK battery charger. I vaguely remember, from some while ago that a CTEK charger was recommended by Jaguar. It would be nice to know which model from the range you decided to purchase.

Regards, Dos.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good morning JonR.
I notice from one of your earlier posts that you have purchased a CTEK battery charger. I also noticed from CTEK's website that their range of equipment is quite extensive, I wonder therefore which model you decided to buy as a suitable unit for battery fitted in the XF.

If my post appears twice it could be because I think I fudged my first try to ask which model you got.

Kind regards, Dos.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep, you're not wrong there Noblemac......I'm afraid they had me over a barrel as I needed the car pretty quickly to get to work. With the cost of the hire car the whole bill came to over €1,500! If it had been spring or summer i'd have searched out an independant mechanic or done the job myself. OUCH!

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I think you will find that it is hard to own a Jaguar outside of having factory or extended warranty. Little things that happen, like a failed alternator tend to escalate in cost quickly.

Over here, Jaguars are sold standard with a 5 year, 60,000 mile (100,000 KM) factory warranty. Without that, they would not be able to sell many.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Good morning JonR.
I notice from one of your earlier posts that you have purchased a CTEK battery charger. I also noticed from CTEK's website that their range of equipment is quite extensive, I wonder therefore which model you decided to buy as a suitable unit for battery fitted in the XF.

If my post appears twice it could be because I think I fudged my first try to ask which model you got.

Kind regards, Dos.
Excuse my late reply Dos. I don’t know how I overlooked your question!
If it’s not too late, I bought the CTEK MXS 5.0 plus lead to fix permanently to the battery so if need to charge in situ I just open the boot and plug-in.
https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/mxs-5-0

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/connect-eyelet-m6

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you will find that it is hard to own a Jaguar outside of having factory or extended warranty. Little things that happen, like a failed alternator tend to escalate in cost quickly.

Over here, Jaguars are sold standard with a 5 year, 60,000 mile (100,000 KM) factory warranty. Without that, they would not be able to sell many.
Yes, quite. But my plan to own and drive a top mid-range car for minimal outlay is working out if we exclude the unfortunate alternator affair! The Jaguar dealers here in der Vaterland are more expensive , labour wise, than back in Blighty with unreal prices hence wanting to do most jobs myself.

Cheers,
Jon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello forum members,
I realised a dream just before Christmas and bought a 2011 XF S with 70,000 miles and full service history. It drives superbly and in the last 5 weeks I’ve put on over 4000 kilometres with trips over the holidays from Ingolstadt, Germany, to Staffordshire and back and also into the Alps with no problems whatsoever.

And no speeding tickets through the post yet. Then last week the dreaded battery red warning lamp lit up and within a day, driving into the car park at work, a clunk from the front right wheel and the warning panel lit up like a Christmas tree.

Stuck in drive, gearbox warning, EBD (?) warning, but I managed to park it. So I replaced the battery after trawling the forums and drove home wondering why the battery warning lamp was still on. Alternator maybe? Or the battery needs to be re-learnt into the systems? Anyway, this morning, started with no problem, but after 6 kilometres the whole car just shut down. In horrendous traffic. Jesus. My first ever Jaguar owning experience was about to get a bit twisted!

So, I managed to get it brought home on a low-loader and am now wondering what to do...I think I’ll have to charge the ‘new’ battery up to bursting and try to limp to the nearest Jaguar Dealer about 30 clicks away and look forward to paying a labour charge of €174 an hour! Or have any forum members here a better idea? I’m a bit clueless when it comes to modern car electronics.
Cheers,
Jon.

View attachment 49189
You don't have to take it to a Jaguar dealer. Any competent mechanic can diagnose the problem and change an alternator. Just make sure he is reputable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts