XF Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I have posted, long story, but here goes. I ordered an XF back in March and was due to take delivery in November. I am in the forces and am able to get tax free, but when I sold my previous car, R32, I took it back to the UK 2 days earlier than I should have (unbenown to me at the time)

The ruling with tax free vehicles is that you cannot sell a car until you have owned it for 1year and 1 day. This I had, but the ruling I didnt know is that the last time you take it back to the UK, with the intention of not returning to Germany, then you cannot return until ou again have owned it for 1yr and 1day!

Stupid rule and one thats not exactly highlighted to you. I did not register the car until I had had it for a year and a day and did not sell it until i had had it for a yr and a day, so didnt think I was doing anything wrong.

Well, come sorting the forms for the Jag, It was refused on the basis of 'Early landing of previous vehicle'

On enquiring, the above was explained to me. Even though the car had sat on my parents drive for the weekend prior to registering, it was 2 days earlier than the 1yr and 1day point (something i didnt know).

As a result, I am now to pay VAT at 19% (German VAT) on the price I sold the vehicle for (22k) so I am now liable for paying the German Customs people over £4k!!! A bloody hard fine for 2 days!!!!

Anyway, cutting to the chase, this meant I was also now not entitled to another tax free car, my £500 deposit went down the pan and my dream of owning an XF followed it.

As it is, I am now back in the UK running around in a second hand A6, with a £4k fine to pay in this lovely credit crunch era.

Im not after sympathy, but it does make an interesting read.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Afraid not - mine was PL in Black, but now with this £4k to stump up, its a no go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts