XF Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 XF saloon, X260, 2.0D AWD. In the current lockdown I'm unlikely to be going anywhere, and I'm a bit concerned about keeping the battery alive. The car is in the garage - I have 50mm spare length and the bonnet is under a bench. Very little spare width. I have good access to the boot.

The manual says that the battery must be removed to charge it; and it's a dealer job; and then the windows will require re-calibration.

If it were a 'traditional' car I would just hook up my Optimate trickle charger (left over from my bike) and leave that on permanently until I use the car again. But with the battery management system and so much electronics in the car I'm a little nervous; though I see all the cars in the showroom have chargers left in place.

An alternative would be to move the car onto my driveway and leave it there; so everything would be accessible and I could jump start it (which has instructions in the manual); and I wouldn't be worried about things like the electric parking brake being immovable etc. I could also start it periodically but I'm not that happy just leaving it idling from an engine wear point of view.

Does anyone have experience of how the X260 behaves with a trickle charger, or have any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure about optimate but assuming it’s a smart charger it should be ok, although officially it’s at your own risk.

Don’t hook up direct to the battery terminals because that could mess up the factory battery management circuitry. Instead there should be a +ve access point under a red cover in the engine bay with a -ve (earth) post nearby (most likely near a front suspension strut).

That’s what I have on my x260 v6 and I use a NOCO Genius 5 maintenance charger via these access points with no issues.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I decided my Optimate wasn't man enough for a 80AH battery so I bought a CTEK 5A intelligent charger, hooked it up exactly as you said, and it charged the battery nicely. Thanks again, all sorted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts