XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Id been reading the forum for a while but hoped I wouldnt have to post about problems. However picked up my brand new car on Monday this week.

Wednesday its back in the garage for 4 faults, bonnet recall, faulty fuel cap, faulty wash wipe and a tarnished key fob.

Friday its back in and staying in as the rear diff needs complete replacement and I have an X type replacement on my drive.

Has anyone heard of a rear diff issue recall? I want to make sure I m not being spun a line.

Not a happy bunny currently, think I got a Friday afternoon special.

Cheers

CP

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Lemon XF- not a good start

Hi there,
Pretty sure I would be demanding a replacement car as the one you have is definately not fit for purpose. We in britain accept way to easily what others would not.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

CP-Brooker said:
Hi All

Id been reading the forum for a while but hoped I wouldnt have to post about problems. However picked up my brand new car on Monday this week.

Wednesday its back in the garage for 4 faults, bonnet recall, faulty fuel cap, faulty wash wipe and a tarnished key fob.

Friday its back in and staying in as the rear diff needs complete replacement and I have an X type replacement on my drive.

Has anyone heard of a rear diff issue recall? I want to make sure I m not being spun a line.

Not a happy bunny currently, think I got a Friday afternoon special.

Cheers

CP
Hi CP-Brooker,
Welcome to the forum :)
I can understand your frustration, occuring so soon after delivery.
GaryXF did form a little club "Duff Diff Three" and I can assure you they, the members, will understand very well your present situation.
You may not have noticed but we do have the opportunity to seek the view of a dealer Service Manager and it might help you to better understand the situation you are in if you pose questions directly to him at: http://www.xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=364

Also, please consider adding a little information in the profile section about your XF,
which I am sure will soon be back with you to enjoy and be proud of. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts

That's rotten luck. How many miles have you done in the car - and what were the symptoms for the diff failure so early on?

Haven't heard about the bonnet recall - yet.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

XFCAT said:
That's rotten luck. How many miles have you done in the car - and what were the symptoms for the diff failure so early on?

Haven't heard about the bonnet recall - yet.
It has something to do with the pedestrian protection system. i.e the airbags in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Vapourgrey said:
It has something to do with the pedestrian protection system. i.e the airbags in the engine compartment.
Is this a new recall?

Airbags in the engine compartment? Are you having a laugh? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi

The diff issue manifests as a whining noise from rear end whenever you even touch the accelerator. Its literally like playing the pan pipes and annoying, above 70 it becomes much more pronounced and sounds like spinning metal.

I m also now concerned about the speedo accuracy, at cruise of 41 I passed a camera activated sign saying I was doing 37 and on the M1 roadworks when set at 51mph I was the slowest thing on the road. Whenever I did the same in my 3 series I was never overtaken.

The rear windscreen is jagged and warped around the demisting/heating wires giving a slightly distorted view.

The car has done 300 miles.!!!!! The noise started after less than 50.

Regards

CP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The bonnet recall is based around the mechanism which flicks pedestrians back of the bonnet in the event of a collision. The dealership said the sensitivity was wrong and there were incidences of it activating after going over a pothole.

What gets me is why I get given a new car from the dealer (which had been in their lot for over 2 months just sitting there) with a known recall yet they are happy for me to drive it off the lot and wait for the first service to fix it.

CP

·
Registered
306 Posts

CP-Brooker said:
Hi

The diff issue manifests as a whining noise from rear end whenever you even touch the accelerator. Its literally like playing the pan pipes and annoying, above 70 it becomes much more pronounced and sounds like spinning metal.

I m also now concerned about the speedo accuracy, at cruise of 41 I passed a camera activated sign saying I was doing 37 and on the M1 roadworks when set at 51mph I was the slowest thing on the road. Whenever I did the same in my 3 series I was never overtaken.

The rear windscreen is jagged and warped around the demisting/heating wires giving a slightly distorted view.

The car has done 300 miles.!!!!! The noise started after less than 50.

Regards

CP
My diff was noisy from the first day although I would not call it a whine more a low rumble at lower speeds (30) and increased in volume and pitch as the car went faster. The problem is not so much the diff replacement but getting one in the first place its a 3 to 4 hr job (providing they do not bugger up the seal like my dealer did).

gary

·
Registered
196 Posts

sorry to hear your problems .i know how you feel i was gutted to find paint probs on my first then dents under door handle on second one! i hope your dealer is going to push hard to get car sorted quick

·
Registered
55 Posts

I've noticed a whining noise from mine as well, as well as a rumble at low speeds, but it's been there pretty much from the start and does not seem to be getting worse. Is that the point you took the car in or did something more spectacular happen that kind of forced the issue. I'm thinking I should take mine in now for a check.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Jules said:
I've noticed a whining noise from mine as well, as well as a rumble at low speeds, but it's been there pretty much from the start and does not seem to be getting worse. Is that the point you took the car in or did something more spectacular happen that kind of forced the issue. I'm thinking I should take mine in now for a check.
It will not hurt to take it in to the dealer and let one of the service guys have a listen, that what I did.

gary

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

garyxf said:
Jules said:
It will not hurt to take it in to the dealer and let one of the service guys have a listen, that what I did.

gary
Also, check with the dealer that if a replacement is required there is one available :!:

·
Registered
39 Posts

CP-Brooker said:
Hi

The speedo over-reads by 10% on 18" rims. Not sure about other wheels.
I set my cruise at 58mph in a 50mph zone protected by average speed cameras with no tickets so far!

Martin

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

thegasman said:
CP-Brooker said:
Hi

The speedo over-reads by 10% on 18" rims. Not sure about other wheels.
I set my cruise at 58mph in a 50mph zone protected by average speed cameras with no tickets so far!

Martin
I find that my speedo reading when, compared with the speedmeter display on the Road Angel device in my car, is consistently at variance. If the Road Angel is displaying a speed of 70 the car speedo will show around 74. If I set the limiter to 34 the Road Angel displays 30. This is very consistent and I have discovered that Road Angel's claim to be very accurate at a constant speed is borne out by the flashing speed advice signs seen when entering a built up area. When a speed advice sign indicates my speed of say, 33, it is almost always in line with the Road Angel display but the car will be indicating around 30.
I understand that the error on the car is within the "Construction and Use Regulations", or something similar. :)

More words on the subject here:

http://www.roadangel.co.uk/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Wow.... so let me get this straight. On a £37,500 car I get a speedo that can be out by 10% because they cant do the maths to compensate for different wheel sizes.

Jesus, even a £10 cycle computer allows you to compensate for the wheel diameter.

If this is the case I am now even more P*****d off.

What size rims does it work accurately on? Most seem to go for 19" so if these are accurate I m going to demand the dealer fit them........

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts

CP-Brooker said:
Wow.... so let me get this straight. On a £37,500 car I get a speedo that can be out by 10% because they cant do the maths to compensate for different wheel sizes.

Jesus, even a £10 cycle computer allows you to compensate for the wheel diameter.

If this is the case I am now even more P*****d off.

What size rims does it work accurately on? Most seem to go for 19" so if these are accurate I m going to demand the dealer fit them........
I have not said that manufacturers can't do the maths, they plainly can and do. Manufacturers are also perfectly capable of designing speedometers that are accurate; it is the variables that need to be allowed for. This is because the speedometer readout is governed by the rolling circumference of the tyre in contact with the road surface. Different tyre pressures, sizes and tread wear can all make a difference to the speedometer reading. For this reason every manufacturer has to calibrate the speedometer to ensure that at no point can the vehicle be travelling faster than is indicated.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

According to my Garmin nuvi 660 satnav the Speedo overreads exactly 5 mph when cruising at 86 indicated. I carried out this check on an almost empty French autoroute travelling at a constant speed for five miles

·
Registered
56 Posts

CP-Brooker said:
I have had this rear window distortion problem since day one in my car [last March]. Through reading this forum I found it is a manufacturing problem, and I'm having a new rear window fitted on Tuesday this week.

Regards,

Tony

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So... an update

When in a hole Jaguar knows how to keep on digging.

Car arrives on 13th.
Back for 4 faults on 15th
Back and taken off road on 17th. Told parts will be in on 24th.
Phone call on 29th "sir a quick update, your parts havent arrived, the computer has them on back order, we have no idea when they will come... hope this helps".

Broken car, bad service, but hey at least I m racking up the mileage on the replacement they gave me.

Should have bought a Japanese car. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts