XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking for some feedback / advice / debate…….and yes, I know all of the following is very much personal opinion, but would value yours :)

Just placed order for New 09, 3.0D, Lunar Grey, PL with Parking Sensor Camera, Carelia 19s and Bi-Xenon.

Qs:

1. Have I made a mistake in not ordering the S model? Does the new 3.0D get round all the reported turbo lag issues with the 2.7. I’m sub-40, but not a boy racer and so don’t need the extra 35hp the S gives over the 3.0 – a lack of road test reports on the standard 3.0D has left me slightly uneasy however. That said, 500Nm of torque can't really fail to impress!

2. Bi –Xenons – worth it or not? Anyone got these and, if so, what is your feeling over performance gain, reliability etc c.f Halogens. Personally, I think the Xenons add value on a Luxury car, and make it look different, and so, apart from the price, look worth it to me. I dropped the Ipod PAI system to fund this incidentally (in reality, only my wife has an ITouch and as she will be a passenger I figure she can drive it thtough the AUX input rather than touch screen).

3. On the above, what does Bi stand for on Bi-Xenon. Was in dealer and he put FULL beam on, and the outer lights appeared like a halogen – he told me “against law to have Xenon full beam”. So is Bi for “side lights + main beam”?

4. Spoiler - oh dear, going round the houses on this one. Only £130 quid add on, but struggling to make decision – sometimes I think “looks great” other times I think it looks stuck on and breaks the flowing rear quarter line of the car. Could you fit this at a later date, or does it need to be a factory option?

5. Opted for 19” as wanted to have plusher ride than 20” rims. But is the 20” ride really that harsh c.f. 20”? Road reports suggest it is…..would love them for look, but having come from a sporty Audi and not enjoyed the ride, keen to get something less “dynamic” for my next car. Could fund the rims by dropping the Xenons if the concensus is the lights are not worth it and the 20" rims run OK.

I appreciate you early thoughts as I still have time to add/change options before car is confirmed with factory.

Cheers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok here it goes,
1- dunno , we don't have Desil in saudi but i heard that the 3D are quite good
2 no , Bi-xenon is a great choise,
3- i think i would love to know what exactly is Bi-ed in the xenon
4-i've seen a car with a spoiler when i picked my car up and didn't like it much , it really dosen't fit the Austin/Jag ass
5-i've tried the V8 SC 20" and the ride as it was reported in low speed is not as good as the 19" in low speeds and but the 20" had Perilli and the 19" were denlup

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi XF Glasgow.

Decisions, decisions! It is undoubtedly a tricky one, when one persons views may not be the same as yours, but for it's worth here are mine. Will answer in the same order you asked.

1. Difficult one for me to answer as I've not driven the standard 3.0d and not previously owned the 2.7. However I've always been of the opinion that if possible I would like to have the best / fastest engine I could afford and clearly the S ticks those boxes (XFR aside of course :D ). The S is a real honey of an engine, quiet, refined and very quick when you want it to be although in standard drive mode it really behaves like a luxury saloon and only grows horns when you want it to. Pop the drive in sport and dynamic (I've only tried this briefly as still only covered 600 miles) and you unleash the beast and the car changes into a sports car, albeit a big one! Is the S worth the extra money? Only you can really answer that, but for me a definite yes.

2. Have had Xenons an previous 2 cars as well as the XF now, and I wouldn't be without them. The light emitted is much brighter and they just look sooo cool too! Have just purchased bulbs to replace the 'inner' halogen headlights with ones that look like Xenons but not got round to fitting them yet. I think Xenons are another definite yes!

3. No idea what Bi stands for (ohh err ;) ;) )

4. Have the spoiler and really like it. I think it finishes the boot lid but I know many others are not so keen.

5. Have the 20'' Sentas, and yes the ride is firm but the suspension is well up to it. Had a 5 series m-sport before and my wife hated the very firm ride in that. The XF is certainly not as harsh as that, but you do feel the bigger bumps and potholes. I think this ones a trade off between a little less comfort but having wheels that look fantastic. Again yet another definite yes for me.

Not sure how much all that helps. Whatever you decide you will love the car, and might I add you have gone for an excellent colour choice :D :D . I've posted some pics of mine in the My Jaguar XF Forum, which shows the wheels, spoiler etc and hopefully this will help you decide. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well i guess it all depends on your budget....

I toyed for about 2 weeks - do I go for the 3.0 Prem Lux, 3.0 S Prem Lux or 3.0 S Portfolio?

The decision is quite simple - go for the best you can afford! I eventually opted for the 3.0 S Portfolio and I don't regret it one bit...

In response to your answers:

1. I'd recommend the 3.0 S to everyone - absolutely superb.....much more power than the 2.7 with no turbo lag whatsoever!

2. If you driving across the west coast of Alba on A & B roads then Xenon lights are a must. If you're sticking to the M8 & M74 then you'll get away with Halogen lights.

3. I think it means Bi Directional....when you turn in, the side of the road illuminates.

4. Spolier looks good - mine was standard - but if it's not fitted as standard I wouldn't personally bother.

5. Not had any issues with the 20" ride....and I'll be lucky if I ever get to drive my car on a dual carriageway, let alone motorway. The ride is just fine - even for the winding and bumpy roads I drive on.

Which ever way you choose, you'll love the car....can't stress this enough!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's my 2 cents...

1) Yes you've made a mistake. I'd speculate the resale values on the S model will be at least £2-3k higher in a few years (additional power&performance for no CO2/MPG cost = excellent resale value). In other words you'll get the extra £3k you spend back. Plus you'll have more fun in the meantime...

2) No strong opinion - I currently drive a Land Rover which uses two caged fireflies as headlights and it doesn't particularly trouble me... personally given the choice I'd drop them and choose the B&W+PAI+DAB instead (for an extra £190).

3) 'Bi' refers to the fact that the same bulb produces dipped and main beams. I'm not sure if your dealer is accurate with reference to the law...he might be?

4) Get the S and it's standard :) It looks great.

5) Again - standard on the S and look so much better. I can't imagine there's a massive gulf between 19'' and 20''?

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
XF Glasgow said:
Hi guys,

Looking for some feedback / advice / debate…….and yes, I know all of the following is very much personal opinion, but would value yours :)

Just placed order for New 09, 3.0D, Lunar Grey, PL with Parking Sensor Camera, Carelia 19s and Bi-Xenon.

Qs:

1. Have I made a mistake in not ordering the S model? Does the new 3.0D get round all the reported turbo lag issues with the 2.7. I’m sub-40, but not a boy racer and so don’t need the extra 35hp the S gives over the 3.0 – a lack of road test reports on the standard 3.0D has left me slightly uneasy however. That said, 500Nm of torque can't really fail to impress!

2. Bi –Xenons – worth it or not? Anyone got these and, if so, what is your feeling over performance gain, reliability etc c.f Halogens. Personally, I think the Xenons add value on a Luxury car, and make it look different, and so, apart from the price, look worth it to me. I dropped the Ipod PAI system to fund this incidentally (in reality, only my wife has an ITouch and as she will be a passenger I figure she can drive it thtough the AUX input rather than touch screen).

3. On the above, what does Bi stand for on Bi-Xenon. Was in dealer and he put FULL beam on, and the outer lights appeared like a halogen – he told me “against law to have Xenon full beam”. So is Bi for “side lights + main beam”?

4. Spoiler - oh dear, going round the houses on this one. Only £130 quid add on, but struggling to make decision – sometimes I think “looks great” other times I think it looks stuck on and breaks the flowing rear quarter line of the car. Could you fit this at a later date, or does it need to be a factory option?

5. Opted for 19” as wanted to have plusher ride than 20” rims. But is the 20” ride really that harsh c.f. 20”? Road reports suggest it is…..would love them for look, but having come from a sporty Audi and not enjoyed the ride, keen to get something less “dynamic” for my next car. Could fund the rims by dropping the Xenons if the concensus is the lights are not worth it and the 20" rims run OK.

I appreciate you early thoughts as I still have time to add/change options before car is confirmed with factory.

Cheers.
Welcome to forum XF Glasgow :)
All I can say is, as I have always said, I am blissfully happy with my XF 2.7PL :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
definitely go for the B&W system - it is stunning!

and the S Portfolio if you can and then you get all the extras you need included.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your feedback!

My earlier, for want of a better word, panic has subsided - post work whisky and a realisation that your 1st choice is usually the correct choice has led me to the conclusion that I'm going to leave the order as it stands........round and round we go indeed!

Thanks again for your comments, and understanding ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Im sure you have enough feedback on a lot of the issues, but as an owner of the 3.0 and not S I thought I would give opinion from someone who can give first hand experience :!: :!:
The car is F...... lippin awesome :!: :!: Ok its not an S, and Ive never driven an S, but its darn good... :!: ITs certainly got enough speed and performance to keep hubby happy; he worried the same, ie should he have got the S, especially as previously owned XK8, buts hes more than happy with it :!:

It cruisers lovely, but it also gains speed fast when you need to, without realising how quick it actually is going (worried me at one point when thought I was going a reasonable, legal, speed to find I had got to 110mph very quickly indeed) :!:

SO, in my opinion, as that is all I can give, NO you havent made a mistake (contradicting someone previous that reckons you have!!!)... its just all about what car is right for you.
Yes if you are a boy racer then maybe the S is better suited, but if you are after just a fantastic car, want to save a few thousand (as you are happy not racing everyone off the lights etc,) and want to enjoy a bl00dy great car, then the 3.0d is a NOT a mistake....
To be honest though you should try them both at a dealer!! Obviously try the 3.0d first see what your first impressions are without higher BHP comparison, if you are happy with that, then go for it... if you want more, try the S... see if the 3000 is worth it....
I LOVE MY 3.0D

·
Registered
107 Posts
If its any consolation have driven the XFR and the 3.0D at the test day at Gaydon earlier this month. Admittedly we took the XFR to 170mph on the test track (thrashing it) butthe 3.0D achieved 130mph+ without absolutely thrashing it.
It also performed well on the slalom course. Im sure the S is more speed but for me I would stick with your order

·
Registered
176 Posts
JagNewbie said:
Here's my 2 cents...

1) Yes you've made a mistake. I'd speculate the resale values on the S model will be at least £2-3k higher in a few years (additional power&performance for no CO2/MPG cost = excellent resale value). In other words you'll get the extra £3k you spend back. Plus you'll have more fun in the meantime... 2) No strong opinion - I currently drive a Land Rover which uses two caged fireflies as headlights and it doesn't particularly trouble me... personally given the choice I'd drop them and choose the B&W+PAI+DAB instead (for an extra £190).

Run this past me again :?: You are saying you think that the S will cost about £3k more than the 3.0d in a few years time :?: - If so, well thats the difference between the 2 now, so going by that calculation, it makes no odds moneywise :!: He would break even :!: Admitedly the S will prob be more sought after but then the difference in insurance might have those of the younger era having to go 3.0d only anyway so its all swings and roundabouts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Today, I've just exchanged my Vapour Grey 2.7D PL + 19" Carrelia's, Parking aid and Bi-Xenons for a new Ultimate Black 3.0D PL + 20" Senta's, Parking aid, B&W and rear spoiler. Ideally I wanted the S model but I ended up settling for the 500 Nm 3.0D.

I've only driven 30 or so miles this evening but I've already been able to appreciate the qualities of the new engine. It's better than my expectations and I doubt anyone would be disappointed with it.

I previously had the xenons but I wasn't convinced I needed them. Having now driven my new car with Halogens I can clearly see the difference and the previous crisp blue-ish white light has been replaced with a dull yellow light. However, I don't do a great deal of night driving on un-lit roads so it shouldn't be a problem for me. At this stage I'm glad I sacrificed the xenons for the B&W option.

Having already had the Carrelia wheels I was looking for a change so the 20" Senta's fitted the bill nicely. Yes, I've already noticed a slightly harsher ride on bumpier surfaces, but for me, this doesn't outweigh the satisfaction of looking at those wonderful wheels.

I went for the rear spoiler to add to the difference to my first XF and think it looks particuarly good on black cars. It can be fitted at anytime but from my experience the £130 is just for the spoiler it then needs painting and fitting, which is a total of circa £300.

·
Registered
176 Posts
XF Glasgow said:
Glad to see i've stimulated some debate.........following link addresses any concerns I have re Colour, styling and 19" Carelias: Basically my car without the charcoal interior.......will sleep easy tonight :)

http://bp0.blogger.com/_wGbO5WKHWpI/SFu ... uar+XF.jpg

Need to start saving for the Yacht now! :)

If you are getting the car mainly for looks/presence, and not performance, then 3.0D does the job.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
My apologies - I didn't realise anyone here had bought the basic 'D' already. I would have phrased my response more tactfully!!! I

It is a 'mistake' in a purely financial sense. Of course if you prefer the car with no spoiler/less performance/smaller wheels/lower spec then it is not a mistake at all. I know alot of people who would be put off by the ride quality of the 20'' wheels for example.

To clarify my point - you pay an extra £3k for the S model, and then you get it back on the resale value. Most upgrades / add ons / options will lose you 50-100% of the money you spend on them. This almost certainly won't.

I have complete respect for people who don't want the features of the S.

One thing I would emphasise though - Buying a standard D with the intention of then paying a grand or so getting an aftermarket tuner to upgrade the power and (presumably) invalidate the warranty is complete madness :eek: . Not only do you lose your warranty and increase/invalidate your insurance but you actually devalue the car!!! Buy the S in the first place!!!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
JagNewbie said:
My apologies - I didn't realise anyone here had bought the basic 'D' already. I would have phrased my response more tactfully!!! I

It is a 'mistake' in a purely financial sense. Of course if you prefer the car with no spoiler/less performance/smaller wheels/lower spec then it is not a mistake at all. I know alot of people who would be put off by the ride quality of the 20'' wheels for example.

To clarify my point - you pay an extra £3k for the S model, and then you get it back on the resale value. Most upgrades / add ons / options will lose you 50-100% of the money you spend on them. This almost certainly won't.

One thing I would emphasise though - Buying a standard D with the intention of then paying a grand or so getting an aftermarket tuner to upgrade the power and (presumably) invalidate the warranty is complete madness :eek: . Not only do you lose your warranty and increase/invalidate your insurance but you actually devalue the car!!! Buy the S in the first place!!!
I think your earlier thinking based on speculation "that resale values on the S model will be at least £2-3k higher in a few years" is simply that, speculation and it is worth repeating.
As for the warranty issue, should it become one, the car would still remain under warranty. It may be that a repair issue would arise as a result of a modification but it may not prove to be an open and shut case as you suggest.
It is thought by some technicians that the performance difference between the 3.00 and the 3.00 S may well prove to be no more than simple mapping. If this proved to be the case, then it is difficult to imagine that repairs attributable to a third party remap would be anything other than a coincidence.
As for the insurance matter; don't presume that A. Insurers are not prepared to underwrite the risk and B. think for one moment that many owners would deliberately invalidate cover for the sake of an uplift in premium.

·
Registered
176 Posts
JagNewbie said:

Gosh yes, how tactful you can be :!: - I think you could pretty well p1ss off a lot of people with comments like that.... oh but then there cant be many people that would have been so silly as to have bought such a car as the, what was it? basic 'D', so no worries there then :!:
Well, you are right on the 20" wheels, they would be a pretty cr4p drive for me, living in the New Forest, I guess I just have to make do with the lower class 19". Maybe shouldnt have got rid of the XK afterall :!: :!:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just wanted to clarify something,
JagNewbie said:

What is the difference between a 3D PL and a 3DS PL?
As far as I'm aware, it's 20" wheels, rear spoiler, more BHP and an "S" badge on the rear.
So extra BHP aside, how would that cost me 3K to buy as extras?
There is no difference between the S and the normal 3 extras wise apart from what I've stated above. So your point on resale value is to an extent invalid.

By the way this comment:
JagNewbie said:
Is extremely condescending, how noble of you to give your respect to people that don't go for the "S", I can see why you have gotten some peoples backs up

1 - 20 of 28 Posts