XF Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After five XJs of various ages, and a few years break whilst trying to be sensible, I've just bought a 2017 XF 2.0 Prestige in Indus Silver with the light oyster interior and gloss burr walnut inserts instead of the piano black which I've never been a big fan of personally. It has the base 200PS engine which is more than adequate for my needs and also keeps the tax low. Absolutely beautiful car and it was a good price with only 18k, and has a few handy extras like the parking pack (front/rear aid plus camera) and auto dimming/folding mirrors. Strangely it also has a chrome radiator grille which the brochure suggests was only available on the Portfolio at that time, but I think it looks better anyway.

This one took a bit of finding in a sea of diesel R-Sports, but the 300 mile drive home although very soothing has brought to light a few glitches that I'm a little surprised weren't picked up by Jaguar's Approved 165 point inspection. I'm still at the stage of going through the manual trying to get to grips with everything, so not sure how much of this is "user error" on my part rather than anything wrong with the car but comments welcome...

- Air Con doesn't work at all and only blows warm. This is definitely not right! :mad:

- As far as I can see all 2017 XFs have traffic sign recognition as standard, but when I attempt to turn on Speed Limit Awareness via the Driver Assistance menu the check box immediately un-checks itself again (it isn't greyed out). It's not exactly vital but I find it handy for guidance sometimes if in any doubt.

- There's a button for Lane Departure Warning so I assume it's fitted, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

- DAB Radio won't work but FM is fine. It says No Reception even where there is. Maybe just needs retuning?

There's also a hint that the last owner was a bit of a smoker, and although it doesn't massively bother me I'm going to have to do my best to eliminate the odour.

I haven't seen any warranty/MOT cover/Jaguar assistance paperwork yet but assume they just post it to you nowadays? Last time I bought an approved used XJ from a different dealership they were very thorough with all the paperwork, but that would have been about six years ago.

For all the gripes though it's a great car to drive, and I'm really excited to be back behind the wheel of a Jag again :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Congrats on your purchase and welcome back to the marque.
Whilst many of the items seem minor, they could be hinting at something costly to put right, so you should deffinitely get the car booked in under warranty.
BTW, car looks great :giggle:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I'll be doing exactly that.

I can add auto stop/start to the list now. I normally switch it off anyway, but that's not the point! Very odd that such a random set of things don't work. Something software related if I were to take a guess.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome back to the marque.
Whilst many of the items seem minor, they could be hinting at something costly to put right, so you should deffinitely get the car booked in under warranty.
BTW, car looks great :giggle:

·
Registered
Jaguar XE R Sport
21 Posts
I think I’d get back in touch ASAP with the dealer with the list of faults.

That colour looks really nice - I had my eye on a silver Sportbrake portfolio but it sold before I was ready to buy. Had to buy a white one instead as I didn’t want black.

·
Registered
269 Posts
An ozone generator should fix the smoked-in smell (and others) fairly quickly. I have used a low-output one in mine (low output means it can be left in for a day or two so the ozone reaches all nooks and crannies).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey,

I have a 2016 XF.

My air con wasn't working when I collected it October 2019. I wonder if the 'stock' gas is lacking. Also previous of owner may not have used it (my Dad turns off auto) and that can dry it out. Garage regassed it and it's been fine.

Your speed sign and lane departure are behind the rear view mirror. Just check nothing is blocking it. The windscreen could have been replaced but not calibrated the system afterwards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the car to my local franchise last week.

An air con service didn't pick up any leaks, it had simply run out of gas as you say. Re-gassed and now it's lovely and cool again... as is the UK weather now!

Auto stop-start seems to have been fixed by charging the secondary battery.

After a whole day's worth of diagnostics they eventually traced the LDW and traffic sign recognition to a faulty computer that controls the camera (I'm not very technical and forget the name of it), so that's being replaced tomorrow under warranty. Not sure I'd have bothered had it been out of warranty!

The smoky odour seems to be fading of its own accord.

Hey,

I have a 2016 XF.

My air con wasn't working when I collected it October 2019. I wonder if the 'stock' gas is lacking. Also previous of owner may not have used it (my Dad turns off auto) and that can dry it out. Garage regassed it and it's been fine.

Your speed sign and lane departure are behind the rear view mirror. Just check nothing is blocking it. The windscreen could have been replaced but not calibrated the system afterwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Took the car to my local franchise last week.

An air con service didn't pick up any leaks, it had simply run out of gas as you say. Re-gassed and now it's lovely and cool again... as is the UK weather now!

Auto stop-start seems to have been fixed by charging the secondary battery.

After a whole day's worth of diagnostics they eventually traced the LDW and traffic sign recognition to a faulty computer that controls the camera (I'm not very technical and forget the name of it), so that's being replaced tomorrow under warranty. Not sure I'd have bothered had it been out of warranty!

The smoky odour seems to be fading of its own accord.
Excellent, where's the secondary battery?

I thought we just had one in the boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts