XF Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled across a video of The Grand Tour with the three famous guys from the old Top Gear. You know: Clarkson, Hammond and May. It is announced as the 2020 series, but in the comments some say, it's older and the title is just click-bait. Perhaps you have all seen i a long time ago. I must admit, I haven't seen any of the The Grand Tour shows. Aren't they only shown on Amazon or something?

Anyway, the three guys are driving in the USA with three elderly Jaguars. A 420 G, an XK8 and an XJ-R (from around 2002). They are rather worn out actually. Like the cars in the old Top Gear programmes, where they each must buy a sports car for 1,500 bob and have bought these originally very expensive cars, that are now mostly suited for the scrap yard. They end up in a skiing resort called Telluride, where they must drive their cars on a snowy slope to the top and then down a steep skiing slope. Some of it seems undoable in a normal car. There must be some trickery involved in getting those cars up there. The downhill part in the end seems outright dangerous. They are sliding down in incontrollable cars on a narrow slope with a deep drop to the side. I thought that the producers had finally gotten fed up with the three guys and wanted to get rid of them.

The Jaguars are constantly breaking down, which is somewhat understandable considering their bad state to begin with and the ordeals they have to endure. Two of the Jaguars break so much, that they have to be replaced. That is done with completely different models, so everbody can see it. An XJ6 series 3 for the 420 G and an XJ-S for the XK8. But the three guys keep praising the Jaguars for their high quality and reliability and hiding the obvious problems talking about different things and trying to get the camera turned away from the cars. That is of course quite funny and part of the show. It just seems that they are so obviously trying to hide the facts, that the cars are breaking down and two of them replaced, that you get the impression, that they are actually mocking Jaguar and making fun of Jaguar. Could it be some kind of revenge or something? Do they have any reason to be angry with Jaguar? Or are they just abandoning the sinking ship?

PS: The most funny part is, when Richard Hammond is standing by the roadside with the series 3 XJ6 and a geyser of boiling coolant coming up from the engine. An American guy in an American pick-up truck stops and rolls down his window and asks: "Do you know, why the British like warm beer? Because Lucas makes refrigerators too."

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
you get the impression, that they are actually mocking Jaguar and making fun of Jaguar. Could it be some kind of revenge or something? Do they have any reason to be angry with Jaguar? Or are they just abandoning the sinking ship?
No. Clarkson especially to this day pushes Jaguar/JLR in his Times newspaper car 'reviews', generally ending with 'Get the Jaaaaaaag'.

Hammond's grandfather I think worked for Daimler(/BSA), which was bought by Jaguar Cars in 1960:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_Company

In many ways, Richard was destined to have a close association with the motor industry. His paternal grandfather, George Harry Hammond, taught Polish airmen to drive during the Second World War; his maternal grandfather, Leslie Albert Dunsby, worked in the automobile industry for most of his career; and his maternal grandmother, Kathleen Shaw, was employed in the Colmore Depot, part of the Morris Motor Company.

Yet all sides of his family can be traced back to a diverse set of backgrounds in or around the Midlands, primarily focused on the Birmingham and Solihull area (where Richard was born).
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1435130/Family-detective-Richard-Hammond.html

May used to write for Autocar, which as we know is 100% JLR.

They make their living by clowning about, 'jolly japes', which are usually staged to within an inch of their lives.

They don't need to care if Jaguar/JLR is dead anyway, as they are all very rich, and all knocking on, the fag end of their careers.

They must know Jaguar/JLR is about to snuff it, but the key thing for them and individually is maximising their wealth, which is why Clarkson made millions alone from Top Gear pushing Jaguar/JLR almost every week - yeah, sure, he didn't get backhanders for it, nor with his open pushing for McLaren in the years 2011-2015.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts