XF Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had lunch with one of my friends that works in the design centre (the most senior in terms of grade of all my friends there) and he was talking about XJ and XE etc and then he said something that surprised me.....

The XF as we know it will only survive until 2013 giving it a product life cycle of just 5 years. This is being done to distance the company completely from Ford ownership and will further evolve from the shape we have now. Apparently a facelift of the current car will be available for the 2011MY with the car being totally replaced in 2013. It is at this replacement time when the XF will spawn convertible and coupe models apparently and the big news.....

Will be made of alluminium!

They want all of their cars post 2013 to be made of alluminium.

Interesting times.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Has anyone here ever had an all aluminium car? They write-off very easily and a friend of mine couldn't get anyone to insure his A8 at better cover that TPF&T...

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
I think the XJ body is manufactured almost entirely from aluminium so it will not be a big step for Jaguar and I am not aware of insurance underwriting issues associated with it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
So the XF is destined already to become a sought after classic? Cool!

My friend is a 42yr old freight train driver who is driving his used £24k A8 around on TPFT cos no major insurer would offer him fully comp. The reasons given were that as they're all aluminium they're too expensive to repair. Apparently you can't put them on a jig if they get bent.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It all depends on how they are constructed. The way the A8 is built and the XJ for instance is very different. The accident issue is to do with how the panels are stuck together as you cant use conventional weld. The real early A8s where very experimental.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Is this right? I thought the XF coupe wasn't due for 2 years. That doesn't give Jaguar much of a chance to shift many.
I can understand a facelift to keep the XF fresh, but to replace a car completely costs a vast amount of money and last time I checked that isn't something Jaguar can boast.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi,

Surely it's better to keep brand name 'XF' and possibly build second generation car in Aluminium. I thought one of the reasons the current XF wasn't constructed in Aluminium was cost, so when X-, and if XF, go then Jaguar is seriously moving up market. Surely it takes time to create a 'brand' and it seems daft not to stick with it...unless it's deemed unnsuccessful!

Whilst X-type was based on Mondeo chassis XF was based on a 'proper' Jaguar chassis (S-) so I don't see dumping XF as a sensible 'distancing from Ford' motive...dumping X-type maybe.

Also, given that new Diesel XFs (in steel bodies) are rated @ 179 g CO2/Km I don't really see shift to Aluminium making a real difference to Jaguar's future average emission targets.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't look at the XF as a Ford derived design. More likely to get "Indian" comments!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I can understand if Jaguar needs to replace the current XF because there are too many Ford and Volvo bits in it. Licensing can be a real pain.
But I still think they should keep the XF moniker.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Got to say I find all this quite worrying. I have a £47,000 XF on order which might well be worth nothing if JLR keep messing about with the model line up. I lost of a lot of money on my XK, after the recent facelift and 5.0 engines came out, and if they do it to me again I won't be a happy camper.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think this thread unfortunately proves the adage that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! :(
"Bring reinforcements were going to advance"

JohnT

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure it would be a good idea for Jaguar! To face-lift a car only after 2 years would be madness. Then they need to redesign a whole new car and change the building process. That is way to expensive in these times of econ. crisis. But time will tell.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Qhunter said:
Has anyone here ever had an all aluminium car? They write-off very easily and a friend of mine couldn't get anyone to insure his A8 at better cover that TPF&T...
Never had a problem insuring my A8L.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My car before last was an XJ V8 Sovereign. I didn't have any issues with insurance or the car.
On my visit to the Jaguar factory a month ago, the gentleman guiding me around made mention of the fact that Jaguar had considered producing the XF in aluminium but this was not possible because the car is designed around a US Ford model floor pan. However, Jaguar were able to construct the vehicle with an aluminium bonnet/hood.

·
Registered
93 Posts
jagjp said:
My car before last was an XJ V8 Sovereign. I didn't have any issues with insurance or the car.
On my visit to the Jaguar factory a month ago, the gentleman guiding me around made mention of the fact that Jaguar had considered producing the XF in aluminium but this was not possible because the car is designed around a US Ford model floor pan. However, Jaguar were able to construct the vehicle with an aluminium bonnet/hood.

I believe that the S type floorpan on which the XF is based origionally came from the Ford Lincoln. There will no doubt be a royalty fee for each one produced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I shied away from a nearly new current XJ because of the aluminium construction. I heard about corrosion issues due to the dissimilar metals used in the rivets (reliant only on the coating on the rivets for separation) It is also easy enough to acquire dings and dents in a steel car because of all the ignorant morons out there with no respect for other people's cars when they open doors in car parks / manouvre shopping trolleys etc., it must be worse with aluminium bodywork.
I also have to say that my XF is acceptably fast and economical, the ride/handling balance are superb, so would any gains due to weight reduction offset possible additional issues? i think not

·
Registered
131 Posts
taffie999 said:
I shied away from a nearly new current XJ because of the aluminium construction. I heard about corrosion issues due to the dissimilar metals used in the rivets (reliant only on the coating on the rivets for separation) It is also easy enough to acquire dings and dents in a steel car because of all the ignorant morons out there with no respect for other people's cars when they open doors in car parks / manouvre shopping trolleys etc., it must be worse with aluminium bodywork.
I also have to say that my XF is acceptably fast and economical, the ride/handling balance are superb, so would any gains due to weight reduction offset possible additional issues? i think not
Agree 100%

1 - 18 of 18 Posts