XF Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Permission to gush!

What a great car the XF is. I've done over 1,000 miles now and really enjoyed driving this car. I've driven the car on all sorts of roads at all sorts of (legal) speeds. The car just gets better and better with every mile.

Dealer Experience
Overall I wasn't impressed with my dealer. During the sales process I had to do most of the chasing. The PDI was okay but the tyre pressures were set incorrectly. To be fair to Jaguar, my dealer experience with Porsche had been even worse. But Jaguar lags a long, long way behind BMW for customer service (in my experience). I found the lack of knowledge on the XF most disturbing. Dealer Experience: 5/10

Paintwork
Firstly, the paintwork is in pretty good condition - a couple of specks of stonechips here and there. One very light parking ding but not really noticeable unless you look for it. The glass is in perfect condition. I'm hoping for the summer when the XF will get a clay and wax treatment so the paintwork should be protected a bit more, but it's still very good for 1,000 miles with around half of that on the motorway. Paintwork: 9/10

Wheels
The wheels (19" Carelias) are in okay condition. I seriously wonder if they have a lacquer coat as they don't look or feel as if they do. I'll be coating them with a wheel sealant when I get time but the wheels on my previous Porsche were of a much higher quality. There are a few specks of brake dust that are quite stubborn to get rid of at the moment. Wheels: 7/10

Glass
No permanent markings on the glass, despite a few tiny stones hitting the windscreen on the motorway and several hours of wiper use over the last few weeks. All the glass is in excellent condition. Glass: 9/10

Seats
The leather is in perfect condition. No marks on it, despite it being Ivory. Very soft and supple and the seat squabs and sides show no signs of creasing even though i've regularly had passengers in the car and a child seat. Seats: 10/10

Interior Trim
Totally unmarked, although I have taken good care of it. Again, I have the Ivory trim and there are no markings on it whatsoever. The dashboard and centre console are in perfect cndition as is the LCD screen - no scratches or chips so far. The stitching on the leather is still in good condition with no frayed threads. However, the carpet mats are of very poor quality so pull the score for the interior down. I'm also getting some wind noise from the drivers side window trim. It is annoying at motorway speeds as that's the only thing I can hear! I'll probably get the dealer to look at it when I have some spare time. Interior Trim: 9/10

Steering
The accuracy of the steering is fairly good but my benchmark is a Porsche so it would be impossible for the XF to compete. I do find myself correcting the steering on motorways quite a bit as the car drifts slightly. Thus, the steering is a little woolly. Parking the car is great as it's very easy to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. My wife really likes it too as she doesn't have to use too much force. Steering: 7/10

Ride Quality
Quite simply: terrific. I have a close family member who has a Merc S-Class and the ride on the XF is as good as the S-Class! The XF glides with a liquid smoothness that is truly astonishing. Ride Quality: 10/10

Handling
I haven't really pushed the XF too much but I can sense that it is planted fairly well and the entry into a corner and exit from a corner is assured and inspiring. However, it is a big, heavy car and there is a fair amount of body roll which takes points away from the handling ability of the XF. Handling: 7/10

Engine
The engine is surprisingly smooth for a diesel. From inside the cabin you'd be hard pushed to tell it was a diesel. But from the outside you can hear the diesel clatter quite easily. It is sluggish at slow speeds and very low revs and i'm quite disappointed with the fuel economy from it so far (averaging 29.5mpg over 1,000 miles). But, it's a quiet and refined cruiser so, on balance, I am happy with the engine. Engine: 8/10

Faults
Only a 'DSC not availabe' warning so far, that hasn't reoccured. No other faults to speak of. Faults: 8/10

Desirability
It's almost embarrassing how people slow down to look at the car. I get thumbs up from kids every now and then. Yetserday I had a Porsche 911 Turbo driver slow down to have a look! Even my own manager (who drives a 5-Series) had a good poke around it and is considering buying one now. My wife loves it and she drives it a lot too. My parents love the car and friends think it's great. One of my neighbours has a new Merc CLS and he's seriously impressed with it too! But for me, the most telling factor of how desirable the XF is, is when BMW 5-Series drivers slow down to have a look and you can almost see the look on their faces that says, "I wish I had bought an XF instead of the 5-Series"! Even the most negative aspect of the XF's looks, the nose, have started to grow on me. Desirability: 10/10

Overall
What a great choice the purchase of the XF has been. I'm mightily impressed with this car. I hope that the reliability of the XF will be good as this is the only thing that will ruin the XF. Overall: 9/10

Please could others do 1,000 mile reports too as it would be good to see more views, warts and all. You can use the above as a template if you wish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A very interesting report which mirrors much of my own experience with the XF. My PL 2.7 has covered 1,800 miles and adopting your format, my comments are as follows:

Dealer Experience

Overall very positive. Kept me updated on delivery and I received the car 2 weeks earlier than expected! Tried hard to sell me additional products which I declined. At the handover, I discovered I knew more about the detail than the salesman because I had read the handbook online beforehand. Overall compared favourably to other dealers I have encountered (Merc/BMW?AUDI). Dealer Experience: 7/10

Paintwork

Very good. Has been cleaned twice. A few very small stone chips to be expected. Paintwork: 9/10

Wheels

I have the standard Cygnus 18" wheels and they look fine and are easy to maintain.
Wheels: 9/10

Glass

No complaints. Glass: 9/10

Seats

Dove interior looks superb. Very comfortable. No marks or signs of wear which should be expected after only 1800 miles! Seats: 9/10

Interior Trim

The interior is one of the XF's best features and totally outscores BMW/Merc/Audi and compares well with the more expensive marks. The features on the touch screen are easy to operate although the menu system could be better. Also the navigation system is not as comprehensive as Merc and Audi. The door bins are made of cheap material. Nontheless, the overall quality and effect deserve high marks. Interior trim: 9/10

Steering

Light and precise. The XF is easy to park nothwithstanding the size. Steering: 9/10

Ride Quality

I have never owned a Porche but have been a passenger in various models and found the ride very harsh. The XF is generally excellent and compares extremely well to BMW/Merc. It is certainly much better than Audis I have owned which seem to come with square wheels as standard! I mark the XF down in this category because of the amount of road noise which filters into the cabin. The majority of road surfaces in the UK are very poor compared to France and Germany and any change of road surface is immediately noticeble. For a car costing £40k, the insulation against road noise could be a lot better. Ride Quality: 7/10

Handling

Excellent for the size. Handling 8/10

Engine

Not as smooth as BMW and Audi, better than Merc. Has to be pushed at low revs although I am certain will improve as wears in. Fuel economy so far 32mpg on a diet of mixed motoring which not too bad. Engine: 7/10

Faults

None so far. Faults: 10/10

Desirabilty

No question the looks and the design of the interior are far superior to the competition. Gets many admiring glances in part because so few have been seen ( I have spotted only 2 in the 3 weeks I have have had the ZF). Desirability 10/10

Overall

Apart from the ride quality and the clumsy menu for navigation etc, I am very satisfied. Overall:9/10

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
What a great car the XF is. I've done over just over 3,000 miles now and have enjoyed every mile.

Dealer Experience
I have to say that I have no complaints about the dealer service, it was exemplary. I was kept fully informed from September of last year. I was invited to the factory in October and a launch party in November. I was told that my car would be delivered in February, which it was, and it was available for me to drive away on the 1st March but at that time I was away and so left it for another week or so.
Dealer Experience: 10/10

Paintwork
Firstly, the paintwork is in excellent condition and looks superb after my efforts at Detailing with Clay and Wax. You can see the result of my first effort at http://thegadgetbag.co.uk/XF2.htm . The glass is in perfect condition. . Paintwork: 10/10

Wheels
The wheels, Cygnus 18, are fine except that an overbearing bus driver in Finchley caused me to scrape the rear rim. Anyone have a view as to the likely cost of refurbishment? It is not major damage but I know it is there and and I am sure you know how that feels. Wheels today 7/10 after refurbishment 9/10

Glass
No permanent markings on the glass, despite a few tiny stones hitting the windscreen on the motorway and several hours of wiper use over the last few weeks. All the glass is in excellent condition. Glass: 9/10

Seats
The leather is in perfect condition. No marks on it, despite it being Champagne. Very soft and supple, particularly after wiping over with AutoGlym Leather Cleaner. Incidentally, there was an irritating dirty mark on the carpet in the foot well which responded very well to the leather cleaner!

Interior Trim
I do not have any complaints about the finish or comfort. If I had designed the car I would not have ruined the line of the rear seat centre armrest by inserting the cup holders. 8/10

Steering
I have to say that I find the steering to be excellent but then I am not a boy racer so I would say that. 10/10

Ride Quality
Beautifully smooth and I think wonderfully quiet for a diesel.10/10

Handling
Again, I do not have any issues with handling. I am very positive about the paddle shift which functions wonderfully well and I have now got used to the rear view camera and find it a great help.10/10

Engine
I am very happy with both the performance and quietness of the engine, first diesel I have had. Fuel consumption is 34.5mpg.10/10

Faults
I also had a 'DSC not available' warning which hasn't reoccurred. No other faults. Faults: 8/10

Desirability
To date I have seen five XF's on the road and they all looked marvellous. Four in a dark colour and one in the Azure light blue. I also find that it is much admired by other drivers. I noticed today a young man actually viewing me through a camera as I passed him. I looked in the rear view mirror and could see that he had continued to view me through the camera to get a rear view. I would have guessed his age at not more than 12 years old so Jaguar may well have captured the younger market, albeit that they may have overshot by about 20 years.
Desirability: 10/10

Overall
I have never been interested in sports cars as such, I have always just admired the Jaguar brand. I bought the XF after having an S Type which I bought for its grace and style more than performance. Similarly I bought the XF for the same reasons and have not regretted the purchase for one second. Therefore I will give it 10/10

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you all three for those splendid reports on all relevant aspects of the XF. The conclusions are that the XF is a fantastic car to be in, to drive and to enjoy with, not for racing. I expect I be able to write down my own 1000 mile report, but I still havent got my XF! This won´t happen till June, third week or so, but I.ll drve 1000 miles as soon as I can :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great reports, and none of the issues with rear brake disc scoring that seem to crop up elsewhere; hopefully they're isolated. Collect my 2.7D PL on Thursday, and will report back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
a round trip of two hundred miles without ac on returned nearly 40 mpg on my diesel engine, according to the trip info :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, here's mine after 1400 approx: - I've a 2.7D Lux with the iPod interface

Dealer Experience
Not too bad. Very friendly staff at Stratstone Edinburgh. Didn't get my pen though - so I'm going to mark down for that :shock: . As I was purchasing via a 3rd party PCP, I didn't need to negotiate on price, as that was already handled by Alphabet (owned by BMW!!); so I can't comment on the deal making - So I'll give 8/10.

Paintwork / Body
Paintwork looks great apart from a recent door ding (thank you whoever you are!). My only concern is that I think the body panels are definitely less solid than my previous Audi A6, whose panels felt rock solid and I didn't suffer any door dings in 4 years, even though I wacked the panels myself a few times with golf bags/shopping etc. So, I'll reserve my judgement till I get more miles/time under the belt - so in the meantime I'll give it.... Paintwork/Body : 9/10

Wheels
I've got the bog standard Lux wheels, and I think they look great. My only concern is that they are a right B4$T4RD to clean. Lots of grooves - but that's my fault for not cashing out for the other ones ...so its a. Wheels: 9/10

Glass
It's got glass and it's not damaged/scrathed yet. Glass: 10/10

Seats
Bog standard leather seats - good looking with nice leather. I would have preferred some larger bolsters to give a more supporting grip - and I would have also preferred a lumber adjustment. Again, I suppose I got what I paid for Seats: 8/10

Interior Trim
Fantastic design and well executed. Only issues: Glove box release switch is a little stubborn sometimes. And I've got a wee rattle near the passenger seatbelt in the pillar. I'll need to dedicate some time to tracking it down. Interior Trim: 8/10

Steering
I also think it is a little light on the motorways and drifts if you don't keep on top of it. Steering: 9/10

Ride Quality
Very very nice - but not perfect - to tell the truth I enjoyed the ride of my Audi A6 - but you cant have everything. Ride Quality: 8/10

Handling
Fantastic; apart from the steering on a Motorway issue, which fades into insignificance when you take it for an engaging fast ride on a twisty road (and I've got an MX-5 as well so I know about good, engaging drives). It gives great road holding and confidence.. Handling: 10/10

Engine / Transmission
Fantastic Power if a little noisy/rattly; but only if you have the window open, otherwise it's nice and quiet. I love the gearshift paddles - works a treat. The auto box (in full auto mode) can appear to be a little unresponsive sometime - but that's where the paddles step in. Engine: 8/10

Faults
Both rear discs replaced due to severe scoring after 400 miles. Handbrake fault light/error message once. Faults: 8/10

Desirability
Excellent. Certainly gets lots of stares and it makes you feel special. Desirability: 10/10

Drivers Tools
I love the Driver interface (Sat Nav, Audio, Climate control etc), I think it's very easy to navigate with a very nice GUI. The iPod interface is brilliant. Only complaint is that I'd like to see a 3d Sat Nav interface (like Garmin / TomTom etc). Drivers Tools: 9/10

Overall
I love it (apart from very minor issues). I just hope that rear disc issue doesn't reoccur; and I hope that after a few thousand miles the MPG starts rising. Overall: 9/10

Cheers
Kenny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts