XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the New XJ in the line up, Jaguar sales started the year on a up note in the US, with January sales UP 48% over January 2010 to 935.

This is a much healthier result, with the average US dealer selling close to one vehicle per week, compared to one every other week last year.

XK sales increased 22% to 168.

XJ sales went (up of course) from zero to ??? (in the 400 range).

XF sales went down from 493 to ??? (in the 300 range).

Why the mystery? Since Jaguar XF sales started going down, Jaguar has gone Soviet on us, ans retorting to clever press releases to hide the truth. Their official word is only that "Jaguar's XJ and XF sedan sales combined reached 767 units compared to 493 units in 2010, before the new XJ had been launched." It is silly really. Jaguar used to report each model separately when things were going up. Why play games with the truth? Just creates innuendo and destroys credibility. Besides, from May-on (the New XJ started selling in May in the US last year) it will get harder to do creative writing.

Our neighbors to the North - that is Canada for those Geo challenged, for some reason, saw Jaguar sales in January/2011 decline 9% to just 32.

Back to the US - here is the competitive set results:

Cadillac up 49% to12,580 *
Jaguar up 48% to 935
BMW up 21% to 15,905 *
Porsche up 20% to 2,150 *
Audi up 20% to 7,812 *
Mercedes up 14% to 17,273 *
Acura up 12% to 7,961
Infinity up 10% to 7,405

Lexus down 17% to 12,860 *
Lincoln down 21% to 5,558

·
Registered
404 Posts
No accounting for taste then - Caddy sales went up? Seriously? What is wrong with you people? The only positive I can see is that Lincoln sales went down.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Lincoln is not really in the competitive set. I put it there just so we can see if Mullaly can do anything with it after selling Aston, Jaguar and Volvo.

Cadillac is on a roll though. I guess you know that their sedan has the fastest time on the Nring, right?

They are making all the right moves - though they haven't inventing "curves" yet - so all thei designs/styles are done using only rulers and angles. ;) :) :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Being fastest round the 'ring does not generally make a great car. They're trying to make a point it's as good as European cars because it can actually go around corners (a world first for Cadillac) but that doth not a brand make. And if you think people are liking 5.7 litre Hemi's in the US now, think how popular they are in Europe where we're paying around $2 a litre for petrol. Not really the time. But I don't see the appeal in the US either - I think you're way too generous to your 'Merican brands and Government Motors should give it up.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to go too far off-topic....but...I'm no fan of Cadillacs and would not buy one.

Having said that, Cadillac has come a long way with their product line, so at least it is not a total embarrassment. Can't argue with their sales results and the *HUGE*/*MASSIVE* reduction of their average buying age from something like 115 to 55. :) :)

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is another interesting sales stat - in January, Jaguar sold 96 cars in Mexico.

While that is down 40% from last January, it is three times the volume sold in Canada.

I'm in Mexico City today on a biz trip - I didn't see any new Jags on the street, but, in front of my hotel there is a dealership with a couple of Bentleys and an XJ in the showroom.

Who'd think the poor friends to the South would be buying more Jags than the rich friends to the North.

G

·
0 Posts
baron95 said:
Here is another interesting sales stat - in January, Jaguar sold 96 cars in Mexico.

While that is down 40% from last January, it is three times the volume sold in Canada.

I'm in Mexico City today on a biz trip - I didn't see any new Jags on the street, but, in front of my hotel there is a dealership with a couple of Bentleys and an XJ in the showroom.

Who'd think the poor friends to the South would be buying more Jags than the rich friends to the North.
At this time of year most Canadians probably don't think about buying a powerful RWD saloon :lol: .

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gemset said:
At this time of year most Canadians probably don't think about buying a powerful RWD saloon :lol: .
I guess Jagular hasn't managed to convince his countrymen that RWD is Da Bomb for winter driving.

Anyway...

Canadians are pussies.....in my neck of the woods, we don't let winter stop the fun...:) :) :)

And the other excellent drivers elsewhere in America are not far behind, either...

Oh......the humanity.....the skill......the High IQ.......watch out for the S-type....so proud of my countryman....:)

[youtube:2vrs6skg]BM2gLjfE_3Y[/youtube:2vrs6skg]

And now back on topic of Gemset's RWD and winter reasoning.....

.....I present you.....the Jaguar XJ .....in 1/4" of snow.....in the flat....
[youtube:2vrs6skg]1BfUHJQkeEw[/youtube:2vrs6skg]

And the Jaguar XFR trying for the 9th time to drive in an inch of snow....

[youtube:2vrs6skg]89aa4HWstZo[/youtube:2vrs6skg]

Do you think AWD, might help this guy AND sales? Perhaps?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally broke the Jaguar Enigma Machine code, and got some sources for the Jaguar XF sales number (US Jan/2011).

Jaguar XF sales went down 33% from approximately 493 to 331. That in a market that was way up.

XJ sales, were 436 - up from near zero. Healthy number.

Here are the top competitors for the XF and how they did in January/2011 (courtesy of good-car-bad-car):

·
Registered
231 Posts
If the new kind of buyers are exemplified by the videos, I personally believe Jaguar would do better without them. And thank the good Lord that the XJ didn't get out: how was he ever going to stop or steer?
WINTER TYRES, and washing them with degreaser doesn't hurt a bit (though, seeing the mindbogglingly brilliant attempts at driving I probably need to add: make sure you wash it all off before driving away!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts