XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
bob said:
pekem said:
That's just a cunning plan to sell me something I can't afford ; you go Gary; and then tell us all about it.:cry:
Mind you I have an idea that Bob might well be there though, since he has "form" for this sort of event :lol:
http://xfforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=769
:) just spotted this and got on the blower straight away

it's full - gutted :cry:
Loook on the bright side; you may have just saved yourself a huge sum of money :lol:

·
Registered
216 Posts
pekem said:
Loook on the bright side; you may have just saved yourself a huge sum of money :lol:
fair comment - a new XFR would be expensive.

the trackday was free though :shock:

the lass at Jag has taken my details and said she'd contact me if anything more came up. she also managed to help me with some minor paperwork issues with my car.

good work Gemma @ Jag :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't wish to gloat, just to share my experience, but I attended the Track Experience yesterday at Gaydon and it was stunning. I started with a drive in the new normally aspirated V8 XK on the local roads, which was superb :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Next it was the 'Dynamic Session' in the XF 3.0D S, which was a handling and braking experience on the track (I didn't really want to drive the S as I'm waiting delivery of a standard 3.0D but after the XK I thought it was a bit too late for bing spoilt!!)
Finally, it was the Track Session with a drive in the XFR and the XKR :D :D :D
I can't confirm the cars were restricted to 175mph as I only managed 170 mph in both :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Interestingly, the people I spoke to said they preferred the XFR over the XKR :eek: :eek:
Personally, I found the experience to be tremendous and if anyone gets the opportunity to go I can thoroughly recommend it - a big thank you to Jaguar :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Tazjag said:
I don't wish to gloat, just to share my experience, but I attended the Track Experience yesterday at Gaydon and it was stunning. I started with a drive in the new normally aspirated V8 XK on the local roads, which was superb :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Next it was the 'Dynamic Session' in the XF 3.0D S, which was a handling and braking experience on the track (I didn't really want to drive the S as I'm waiting delivery of a standard 3.0D but after the XK I thought it was a bit too late for bing spoilt!!)
Finally, it was the Track Session with a drive in the XFR and the XKR :D :D :D
I can't confirm the cars were restricted to 175mph as I only managed 170 mph in both :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Interestingly, the people I spoke to said they preferred the XFR over the XKR :eek: :eek:
Personally, I found the experience to be tremendous and if anyone gets the opportunity to go I can thoroughly recommend it - a big thank you to Jaguar :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wow, you lucky devil! Spill the beans a bit more on the 'S', I'm hungry for any info on her. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd like to provide a detailed report on the S but the whole experience went by in a flash and the drive in the S was probably the shortest. It certainly felt quicker than the 2.7D, as you would expect, but it was difficult to appreciate the qualities of the S as it was used for the Dynamic session, which consisted of a short slalom course, a braking test followed by a lap around the test rack.
The XK that I drove had the Figured Ebony, which looked really good (I'm envious as it isn't an option in the XF Prem Lux) The new mirrors look classier with the black gloss trim and revised indicators. The headrests now have a chrome push button which is used to allow adjustment of the tilt function - it's still a manual operation but the button locks it in place. The accompanying driver mentioned that a new steering rack has been introduced that provides a more progresive action and the paddle change has been modified to provide more responsive changes. The car now has a dynamic mode operated by a switch, marked with a chequred flag, which is at the side of the Speed Limiter switch. I would have liked to see the Senta wheels on a car but for some reason the S cars were fitted with the Selena wheels.
Sorry I can't provide more feedback on the S performance but the experience was dominated by the XFR, what a car!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Tazjag,
Thanks for the info, all sounds very positive. Pleased to hear the Figured Ebony looks good as I've not actually seen it yet and was a little concerned it might look like 'tiger stripes'. Hadn't realised the change to the steering and paddle shifts, and neither the detail change to the mirrors but that sounds nice too.
Shame you didn't have more time behind the wheel of the S but can well understand how the XFR would dominate the session. Can you give us your more detailed thoughts on that car too?
Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Andy,

The XFR was the first car I noticed at the event, in Black it looked every bit as good as in the brochure pictures. I remember seeing the earlier spy photos and thinking that someone had simply added a few bits from the 'custom parts bin' but the final model has dispelled those thoughts. The front end with the new bumper/spoiler unit is very tasty and the louvred vents in the bonnet compliment the look. There were several XFR's at the event including examples in the two exclusive colours, Salsa and Kyanite Blue, both of which suited the car. Although I appreciate, not everyone will want a bright red 'look at me' car.
The drive in the car consisted of a 0-100mph run, a 50mph slalom, a 70mph slalom and finally, the max speed run down the straight. Cruising round to the start, the car felt normal but once the throttle was floored it was unbelievable. You could feel the back end working hard to lay down the power, then as it settled down, it accelerated rapidly. All with the accompaniment of the terrific supercharged V8 soundtrack. As I came round the last bend, which I believe was at about 80mph, the accompanying driver (a very laid back ex-racing driver) said 'go for it'. I duly obliged. The speedo needle seemed to rise very quickly touching 170mph before putting the anchors on. The car felt very stable, much more so than I imagined.
I can't tell you much about the interior as my thoughts and vision were more focussed on the track but I do remember noticing the Dark Oak, which was quite stylish.
If you're interested, you can see the Gaydon Proving Ground via Google Earth by entering the post code CV35 0RR. The max speed run is done on the straight on the
southern side of the track.
Hope this is of interest.

Regards Tony

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks Tony. Good to hear your thoughts on a barnstormer of a car. I would love to get the chance to drive one so will keep a loo out for any future track days. Will also have a quick look at Google Earth to check out Gaydon.
Cheers, Andy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts