XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had refrained from posting Jaguar monthly sales decline data, as it was causing consternation to many forum readers, but now I have gone from puzzled to shocked and genuinely concerned about the brand's viability.

The worldwide Jaguar sales declines in 2011 are well chronicled, even though all the competitors are having record braking sales, but the trend is accelerating and the Jaguar XJ is being soundly rejected in the market. The figures are truly shocking.

In August, Jaguar posted (again) the worst sales decline of any brand down an astonishing 43% in the US. For comparison, Jaguar used to outsell Porsche, but now Porsche outsells Jaguar by almost 3 to 1.

I can't believe alarm bells are not going off at JLR and heads are not rolling. Unless JLR is content in just making money on LR sales, which are doing well.

If these sales numbers don't turn around, even more Jaguar dealers will fail and/or start selling other brands, and that will start a further down spiral in sales. The average Jaguar dealer in the US is selling one new car on average every 10 days or so. Think about that. You have your new car sales staff, and 27 out of 30 days in a month no one sells anything. Must be demoralizing, not to mention very ineffective.

I don't see any viable plan to turn sales around. Is Jaguar just resigned to cede its top markets like the US to the competition? Who is accountable for that?

I'm shocked.
Aug11Sales.jpg

(sales data courtesy of autoblog.com)

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi Baron, very interesting,

over here Jaguar Germany reports an overall + of 27,5 % in Jaguar registrations (new car´s registered) with Land Rover having a + of 34,6 % for the first quater of 2011. The total increase of the market being + 13,9 %, meaning Jag sells more than the market-average. So much for statistiks and percentages to be found on the Jag-Website. In my opinion this trend is to drop for the 2nd and 3rd quater with the first "hype" for the XJ being over and others waiting for the XF MY2012 to be delivered in the last quater. Then however probably picking up again.

Added to this:
A -The overall registration of new Jag´s in 2010 was 3.116 cars, as opposed to 2909 cars in 2009. Saying that an increase of 27,5 % means app. only 200 cars more then the quarter before. FYI : the E-class, 5serial and A6 register 10.000 to 15.000 each quater.
B - It is said that increases in registration is sometimes only due to the manufacturer having their dealers buy and register cars. The "Handelsblatt" (well known German business journal) says that of the 466 newly registered XK in 2010 43 % where registered by dealers.

G

·
0 Posts
It's looking as if the only viable way forward for Jaguar in NA is to combine Jaguar with LR dealerships & create a single brand. Jaguar's problem is that it's two main models are direct competitors for each other & both use the same inefficient V8 engines.

G

·
0 Posts
Other than the obvious fuel consumption aspect could you expand as to how / why you consider Jaguar V8 engines are 'innefficient'?
Derek, I don't think that you can put fuel consumption aside in these environmentally conscious times. High fuel consumption usually goes hand in hand with high emissions & even the North Americans have woken up to this fact. The power output of the 5.0 V8 could easily be matched by a 3.0 turbocharged V6 with similar torque figures.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Derek, I don't think that you can put fuel consumption aside in these environmentally conscious times. High fuel consumption usually goes hand in hand with high emissions & even the North Americans have woken up to this fact. The power output of the 5.0 V8 could easily be matched by a 3.0 turbocharged V6 with similar torque figures.
Gemset...

I fully accept your observations...just thought you might have been referring to some other aspect...the anticipated new 3.0 V6 petrol unit should be a worthy addition to the XF range, particularly so if it is turbocharged.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi guys,

even with a wider (or better) range of engines on offer, would it not - relating to the low numbers in general - be the range of model´s (currently XF, XJ and XK) limiting sales ? For Audi the A4 (now A3), for BMW the 3serial and for Mercedes the C and B class are the "bread an butter cars" (making the highest number of sales) for any dealer. Does Jaguar not need a wider range?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Gemset...

I fully accept your observations...just thought you might have been referring to some other aspect...the anticipated new 3.0 V6 petrol unit should be a worthy addition to the XF range, particularly so if it is turbocharged.
Derek have You bought a V8 XF yet ?? Or are You now waiting for the new V6 to arrive ??

Charlie.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is the drop in sales not predominately down to the release of the facelift XF? Jaguar themselves have issued a statement saying that sales were declining as they were running down stocks of pre-facelift models prior to release of the 2012MY facelift. I suspect we will all be better off judging full year sales against prior year when the 2011 figures are released. This is probably just monthly movements in the numbers.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Aug 2011 vs August 2010 monthly sales are as close to an apples to apples as you can get - all 3 models were selling in steady state. MY 2012 is an inconsequential face lift in the US - there are no new engines or transmissions like in the UK. Global sales in Q2 were down 20% IIRC, and July and August saw even steeper drops.

XF sales have settled at a lower but steady pace compared to 2010. XK sales are even to slightly higher with 2010. The XJ is the one that is causing the most trouble. It is simply not selling, and any dealer will tell you that.

I think Tata and JLR simply underestimated how competitive the premium car business has become this decade. There was a wholesale shift to gas Turbo changed engines, DCTs and 7/8 speed autos, and incredibly sophisticated electronics and safety features on premium cars.Jaguar is stuck in the Ford era 2008 design. Customers have too many choices. Fewer and fewer are willing to compromise in the name of style and the Jaguar allure alone - we are the exception.

I'm fine with low volumes, except that the brand can't prosper like this. I'm still excited by the XE sports car and the 3-series fighter. - but when will they arrive and what engineering corners will be cut? Jaguar needs a technology partner. Tata can't pull it off without a major world leading partner.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Obviously because of the facelift launch but I do agree about Jaguar being stuck in the Ford era. Tata is already moving at a much faster pace than Ford ever did with the brand. AWD had already been approved and they are setting up a new engine plant. They are working on a much improved infotainment center and updating transmission choices (slowly). I hope that they will adopt a DCT at least for the RS models and a manual for Europe (all models) and US (sports cars and 3 series rival).

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I don't know about Jaguar policy in countries other than Germany, but over here one serious reason for low growth must derive from the fact that Jaguar have no fleet concept or strategy, which means a special discount for volume users (I've mentioned this previously on other threads). This is, frankly from the marketing point of view, inconceivable to me. Everyone is certainly aware that fleet volumes contribute vastly to overall market sales numbers. I assume that in the UK and other European countries there exists a Jaguar fleet concept?
Furthermore, it does not surprise me that the xj is having start up problems because, from my point of view, the rear end of the car is a disaster. One must put the question whether the car is actually a Jaguar or some other make when following from behind in traffic.
I've found that the new led tail lights tend to cheapen the overall appearance and designwise have to be really thought through to avoid this perception. I feel, personally, that the xj lights fail miserably to this end.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
one serious reason for low growth must derive from the fact that Jaguar have no fleet concept or strategy, which means a special discount for volume users
A fleet concept or strategy is being addressed with the 2.2 car which is expected to generate 60% of sales over the coming years. Corporate buyers are in the sights of the marketing department :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Thank you, Pekem. Let's hope this will also apply to Germany! I've mentioned this also previously that my son has the privilege of a company car. He obviously wanted an xf like his dad but Jaguar were not able to compete with Audi, BMW or others on the fleet leasing market so the consequence is that he's driving his second new BMW 5, now with heads up display, by the way!
This situation is something I have real difficulty in fathoming.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
...Jaguar were not able to compete with Audi, BMW or others on the fleet leasing market so the consequence is that he's driving his second new BMW 5, now with heads up display, by the way!
This situation is something I have real difficulty in fathoming.
Hi PeterG,
I bought mine as a company car and i can tell you that there also is a "financial" fleet concept.
E.g.: there was and is for the MY 2011 (even before the facelift came out) a "good" subsidy to the dealer for "commercial buyers". It has currently lessened for the MY2012 but still is available. Add to this the interest of a dealer selling in numbers (and the discount attached to that) and Jaguar (and I only speak for Germany) comes very close to special deals from BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
(If you want more details, just pm me).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts