XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3174 Posts

·
Administrator
22,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been told that Jaguar is performing well but do these numbers for XF sales in USA support that assertion?

IMG_0436.jpg

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
(The table is a bit misaligned. I assume the last two columns are 2016 and 2017)

You asked if Jaguar is being successful, but then you presented data on only one of Jaguar's 5 main products.

I think the short answer is that, volume wise, Jaguar is achieving success, while the XF model is seeing a marked decline in sales.

Products go through cycles, and right now the F-Pace is the "hot" product and the XF, XJ, F-type are stale and the XE is OK.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
Jaguar Cars sales are up 77% year over year, 2015 to 2016. So yes, Jaguar is successful.

·
Administrator
22,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
(The table is a bit misaligned. I assume the last two columns are 2016 and 2017)

You asked if Jaguar is being successful, but then you presented data on only one of Jaguar's 5 main products.

I think the short answer is that, volume wise, Jaguar is achieving success, while the XF model is seeing a marked decline in sales.

Products go through cycles, and right now the F-Pace is the "hot" product and the XF, XF, F-type are stale and the XE is OK.

Yes it is misaligned, which I have now corrected, and also the figures are for the USA.

Below is the chart for Europe:

IMG_0435.jpg

View attachment 43658

Other models, F-pace etc will appear shortly :)

G

·
0 Posts
... and lets not forget that there are other things at play here also, not just the perceived success or failure of the brand. 2015 featured a product that was about to be replaced with a newer improved vehicle, and 2016 has had some economic uncertainty to say the least - Brexit, President Tweet's election; all of these things will impact the strict numbers you are looking at IMO.

Yes it is misaligned, which I have now corrected, and also the figures are for the USA.

Below is the chart for Europe:

View attachment 43690

View attachment 43658

Other models, F-pace etc will appear shortly :)

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
New jags are all over London. The increasing market penetration by JLR, and Jaguar in particular, is very noticeable to this enthusiast with good reason to notice such changes. A North American car nut is in heaven in Europe with the fresh variety of interestingly styled cars on display. Over the last ten years of annual visits to London I have noted Jaguar's increasing market success which began with the introduction of the XF and has been accelerating rapidly since then. Now the new Jaguars are common enough you see them every day and all over London, inside and outside the congestion zone.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
USA XJ numbers
Does the XJ still exist?

It used to sell 10 times that volume in the US. It is a fat ass ugly **** that no one buys.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Does the XJ still exist?

It used to sell 10 times that volume in the US. It is a fat ass ugly **** that no one buys.
It also used to be the only car, that Jaguar sold. And four door saloons used to be very popular without the competition from SUV's and other car types. That explains the general fall in the sale of the XF during the last many years. I agree, that the current model is showing it's age. Despite that, I don't think this table shows a dramatic decrease in sales. It goes a little up and down, but that's normal. The sale of the XJ in the US was actually even better than the two years before in October, November and December.
All in all, all the tables posted by Pekem seems to show quite steady sales. Some months are a little better, some are worse, but you can't say, that sales are declining overall.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
The entire current generation of the XJ has never sold well in the US. It was completely rejected by buyers. It is used sometimes in fleets for car service, but even that is rare.

The XJ has never been the only car that Jaguar sold. The XJ used to sell very well with the XK, X-type in the line up in the previous generation. The new fat-ass, barge style, blacked out c-pillar turned buyers off.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The entire current generation of the XJ has never sold well in the US. It was completely rejected by buyers. It is used sometimes in fleets for car service, but even that is rare.

The XJ has never been the only car that Jaguar sold. The XJ used to sell very well with the XK, X-type in the line up in the previous generation. The new fat-ass, barge style, blacked out c-pillar turned buyers off.
Well, alright. If you really want to, what do you call it, nitpick(?). So apart from the XJ, Jaguar sold one (1) car. A sports car, which was unpopular and getting long in the tooth. But from 1970 to 1998, that is 28 years, the XJ was the only saloon car, that Jaguar sold. Jaguar has never had a lot of models to sell. Apart from, perhaps, at one point in the sixties.

·
Administrator
22,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We can decide for ourselves whether the F-Type is a success in the USA by seeing the sales numbers:

IMG_0442.jpg

And the picture for Europe is seen here:

IMG_0443.jpg

·
Registered
474 Posts
The term "success" is relative. Jaguar will never outsell the Germans so if we simply use volume of sales then it probably isn't successful. However Jaguar makes interesting cars as alternatives to the Germans that are great to drive and allow the more discerning motorist some individuality. Therefore as their sales are increasing year on year with these great models then yes it is success in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
The term "success" is relative. Jaguar will never outsell the Germans so if we simply use volume of sales then it probably isn't successful. However Jaguar makes interesting cars as alternatives to the Germans that are great to drive and allow the more discerning motorist some individuality. Therefore as their sales are increasing year on year with these great models then yes it is success in my opinion.
Profit is supposed to be the sole measure of success for a business.

As for "never", that's a very long time.

There us is no doubt that the F Pace is responsible for Jaguar's new found success in terms of both volume and profit. SUV and crossover cars are high margin products as even a cursory examination of the F Pace and XF quickly reveals. The F Pace is essentially a decontented and cheaper to build XF selling for about the same price.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
By most measures - number of products, volume, dealership health, etc - Jaguar is more successful now they they have been since the turn of the century.

But the success is a bland, un-special success. Like that of Lexus or Infinity - average products, that sell to the betas.

They are not, in my opinion, successful in selling to the alfas - like Porsche, for instance does.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
None of the items you listed has anything whatever to do with measuring success for a business enterprise.

Satisfied customers who willingly pay the requested price resulting in profit to the maker. That's it.

By that measure, JLR is wildly successful.

1 - 20 of 3174 Posts