XF Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is it a lot?

I insured the car early December last year. Thinking I won't be using it a great deal, I took a 4000 miles a year option.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have just increased the mileage per year to 8000 miles.
Including an admin fee, they have charged me an extra £140 until renewal.

Does that seem a lot of money?

·
Administrator
22,546 Posts
I insured the car early December last year. Thinking I won't be using it a great deal, I took a 4000 miles a year option.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have just increased the mileage per year to 8000 miles.
Including an admin fee, they have charged me an extra £140 until renewal.

Does that seem a lot of money?
What was the original premium ?
Rates have risen plus insurance tax and of course you are over a barrel :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
It was about £480. The reason I was a bit shocked, was that a friend of mine was only charged around 45p (+ £25 admin) for an extra 3000 miles, on a more expensive car.

·
Administrator
22,546 Posts
It was about £480. The reason I was a bit shocked, was that a friend of mine was only charged around 45p (+ £25 admin) for an extra 3000 miles, on a more expensive car.
45p, that is surely a mistake ?
In any event I doubt that you can discover what is a reasonable figure.
Circumstances are so different and so many factors are involved in determining a premium.
I only paid around £200 for the whole year on my XF.
Last premium on my present car was £184 so who can say what is reasonable for yourself, albeit for a mileage risk for a few months.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree, but looking on car insurance comparison sites, changing the mileage from 4 to 8000 changes the premium by about £35.
I shall be more careful at renewal time.

·
Administrator
22,546 Posts
I agree, but looking on car insurance comparison sites, changing the mileage from 4 to 8000 changes the premium by about £35.
I shall be more careful at renewal time.
Did you comment/protest when you were given the figure ?
Might be worth telling them what you have discovered and ask if they have made a mistake.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts