XF Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to my dealer today to complete the paperwork for my new Sportbrake which I will collect on Monday 2nd March. They arranged the 7 day free insurance via Jaguar in order to tax the car and so I could drive it away. Jaguar insurance then contacted me and invited me to receive a quotation from them for 12 months cover which I agreed to do and I am still reeling from the shock. £710 fully comp with a £ 150 excess. I paid LV my own insurer £310 for this year with the same excess so I politely declined the Jaguar quote even though they offered to pay any cancellation LV charged. My dealer ,via Jaguar did give me a free policy for 12 months which will pay £250 towards any excess on my own insurance charge on a claim,free car hire until it is repaired,free recovery to a Jaguar approved repairer etc.Is anything free I think not?!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thats quite normal.
Be careful with that free policy stuff...double check with LV before using it...many insurers insist that only their authorized agents deal with the vehicle in the event of an incident.

·
Registered
178 Posts
All of these dealerships (claim at least) that there is precious little margin on selling the physical vehicle. Much of their profit is made on additional services such as tyre insurance, gap insurance, polishing and, obviously, car insurance. So many people are seduced by the moment and sign up for goodness knows what - it's amazing how one purchase trigger and fire off several more. When I buy a car I check out the cost of extras before I sign on the dotted line. I also come with print outs as proof. Invariably, I leave with just the car and none of the other window dressing on offer with it.

tonytrans - you'll need a huge piggy bank to pay for that insurance! - I would really need to love my cars to justify a policy costing that much!

·
Registered
40 Posts
PurrCat. Do you think I'm a ladyboy?? It's tonyrans not tonytrans pmsl. I never took my insurance with them I went with my ins I've had last 2 years £543 which includes key cover protected no claims curtosey car and all the normal stuff. Was cheaper than my BMW

·
Registered
178 Posts
PurrCat. Do you think I'm a ladyboy?? It's tonyrans not tonytrans pmsl. I never took my insurance with them I went with my ins I've had last 2 years £543 which includes key cover protected no claims curtosey car and all the normal stuff. Was cheaper than my BMW
Oh dear, I nearly fell off my stilettos when I read that , sorry!

That sounds pretty decent insurance wise. I think that mine will end up around that figure too, perhaps a little cheaper in that the 530d was about £360 if I recall and they wanted another £70 to cover the balance of the year. I wont know for sure until the next premium comes in - and it will be the customary shop around time as usual when it does.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got my first Jaguar, an XF in April, small amount extra to pay as my policy runs out 22nd June.

had a look at the comparison sites and the best I could get was £273, the worse was £36645!!! My existing insurers wanted £341, they eventually reduced this in two stages to £239.38 so I am happy. My car is a 3.0 XF Portfolio in North Lincolnshire.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have insured my XF 3.0 diesel Portfolio with IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) surety, you have to be an IAM full member. Fully comp. £238, 9 years no claim.
I should add that my IAM qual is with bikes not cars but that has been taken into account. About £100 cheaper than Jaguar insurance. The IAM annual fee is over £100 but insuring my bike and XF with IAM Surety will cover that.

·
Administrator
22,546 Posts
I take the view that these special deals are all very interesting but I doubt they are that special. Any quote, from any affinity group such as the IAM and many others, will be bettered, albeit for the first year, by most enterprising brokers.
As for Jaguar Insurance being expensive, maybe for some and not for others. All insurers will review their risk weighting in every sector, old men like me, young men, like you perhaps, young drivers and so on and so on. Once the risk book is full then the premium rate rises and if that is the moment that one applies disappointment will follow.
As it happens my premium, last time was £189 with Saga and that was as a result of a submission on a comparator site.
I also had the benefit of maximum NCB.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have come back to Jaguar after many years away and I have found that insurance is very expensive compared to BMW with the same companies.

I have come from an M6 5ltr V10 which was on a limited mileage policy and cost me £160 FC, full NCB protected, I also have an Astra GTC which cost me £170 ,doing normal mileage,

I have transferred the insurance from the M6 to the Jag, the policy has 4 months to run and I had to pay £62 extra with the mileage allowance raised accordingly, so pro rata that equates to another £186 per year, so mid £300's . Not impressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey everyone, im about to pick up my first xf, its a 3.0 luxury, just checking out my insurance, i have 6 years no claims but its coming up nearly double what i paid for my beemer, at over £700, can anyone recommend any companies please, thanx in advance

·
Administrator
22,546 Posts
hey everyone, im about to pick up my first xf, its a 3.0 luxury, just checking out my insurance, i have 6 years no claims but its coming up nearly double what i paid for my beemer, at over £700, can anyone recommend any companies please, thanx in advance
Have you used a comparator site to obtain a quote ?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I always do my insurance on a comparator site. SWMBO likes collecting the meerkats (other comparator sites are available). It always amuses me the difference between the lowest and highest prices for exactly the same details entered. When I insured the XF this year (I got it in February) the quotes ranged from £185 to in excess of £4,000. Needless to say I used the £185 quote which was from a well known supermarket named for the founders wife. Incidentally I am an old (ish) bloke with full no claims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi guys, yes i have tried a few and they are all quite high, im 40 in january with 6 years no claims but still cant get it for much less that 700, no idea why though lol

·
Administrator
22,546 Posts
hi guys, yes i have tried a few and they are all quite high, im 40 in january with 6 years no claims but still cant get it for much less that 700, no idea why though lol
Well as you know there are many factors involved in determining the premium not connected with the car or your driving experience such as postcode, crime rate, garaging, employment, doctors and stage performers among others were regarded as high risk, etc. I would speak to a broker, you could just simply ask Chris Knot or Adrian Flux via their forums here, see index. I am sure that either would be happy to quote and explain any special factors associated with the premium.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
looks like it will be due to this 6y of no claims mostly - i'm bit younger (36), but with same no claims and got just under 700. although looks like it doesn't matter that it is jag in my case as with my prev volvo, it was nearly the same - slightly higher (less nc, older car, diff location)

37 Posts
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts