XF Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a look at the Formula E homepage http://www.fiaformulae.com/

I think we have all heard about the Jaguar I-Pace eTROPHY, where racing versions of the Jaguar I-Pace will have their own race before the formula E race. Jaguar has shown the car, which I saw myself at the IAA auto show in Frankfurt three weeks ago.

P1030188 (1).jpg

The formula E season ended not so long ago, with Jaguar dead last. The new season will start in Hong Kong on December 3rd 2017. I read a little about the I-Pace racing series on the homepage, and to my surprise it says, that it will begin in the fifth formula E season. But it is only the fourth season, which is about to begin. That means, that the I-Pace will not be racing in more than a year. Isn't that very late? In a year competing cars will be on the market and perhaps better cars than we know of today. I thought Jaguar wanted to be the first premium brand with an EV SUV. If they keep postponing everything, the competitors will overtake them.

·
Administrator
22,427 Posts
Keep in mind that Jaguar is not the master of the house as far as the I-Pace is concerned, production has been outsourced to Magna along with the E-Pace.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Just when Jaguar entered their previous racing series the American LeMans Series (finishing dead last, and failing to even finish most races), so it is with the Formula E program. Jaguar again being dead last. An intolerable position for any brand, but one that is considered quite normal and acceptable for JLR and Tata.

How can such a storied brand set the bar so low for itself? How can it over promise and under deliver so much? How can it be dead last in every competition series it has entered since Ford sold it to Tata?

Is there no shame?

Screen Shot 2017-10-16 at 9.24.46 PM.jpg

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
That means, that the I-Pace will not be racing in more than a year. Isn't that very late? In a year competing cars will be on the market and perhaps better cars than we know of today.
Don't confuse the schedule for the race car with the schedule for the production passenger car. The two and roughly connected, but either can be launched years ahead of the other.

·
Administrator
22,427 Posts
Maybe this news will allow a change of narrative.

Nelson Piquet Jr has revealed “too many doubts” over the NextEV/NIO team were the catalyst for his desire to switch to Jaguar in Formula E.
The inaugural FE drivers’ champion has joined Jaguar after three seasons with the thrice-rebranded Team China Racing/NextEV/NIO entry.

Piquet had a contract to drive for the NIO team in the 2017/18 FE season but his move was made possible after he’d slumped to 11th in the points and NextEV finished sixth in the teams’ championship.

NextEV invested significantly in its FE team and made progress after a dismal 2015/16 season, but Piquet revealed frustrations after the passing of CEO Martin Leach made things “not as simple as before”.

“Nothing was going to make me stay,” he said. “I wasn’t angry, just for so many races I was so frustrated.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't confuse the schedule for the race car with the schedule for the production passenger car. The two and roughly connected, but either can be launched years ahead of the other.
I don't. But Jaguar announced the I-Pace eTROPHY to be raced at the same date as the Formula E races. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the racing series to start in the new season from the end of this year. Jaguar has also announced, that the I-Pace will be launched next year. I don't remember exactly when next year, but it would coincide well. In netcarshow.com the I-Pace has 2016 after it's name, so it's not that they haven't had any time. We also all know from JLR announcements, that they have been working on AFV's, EV's, hybrids and all since what? 2009? By now they must be vary far in the development of an EV. But now it turns out the eTROPHY racing series is more than a year away. If Jaguar wants to keep ahead of the pack, as they say they are, they must start to deliver.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear in my comments. The fact that the I-Pace eTrophy races will only start a year from now, says absolutely nothing about the schedule for the I-Pace street car.

The I-Pace street car can be a year before, same time or a year later than the eTrophy race car. Jaguar only needs to build a couple of dozen of the eTrophy cars. They can be hand built by Magna at any time.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I wasn't clear in my comments. The fact that the I-Pace eTrophy races will only start a year from now, says absolutely nothing about the schedule for the I-Pace street car.

The I-Pace street car can be a year before, same time or a year later than the eTrophy race car. Jaguar only needs to build a couple of dozen of the eTrophy cars. They can be hand built by Magna at any time.
Oh, I see. I was perhaps not clear either. I wasn't thinking so much about the street car being delayed by this. I was more thinking about the racing series being launched to promote the I-Pace. I imagine, it's better to launch the racing series before the road car or at least simultaneously, if you want the racing series to help sales of the road car. But of course, the Jaguar tells us, the I-Pace is selling like hotcakes, and they have a lot of preorders.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
ˆˆˆˆˆ True that!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I just had a look at the Formula E homepage http://www.fiaformulae.com/

I think we have all heard about the Jaguar I-Pace eTROPHY, where racing versions of the Jaguar I-Pace will have their own race before the formula E race. Jaguar has shown the car, which I saw myself at the IAA auto show in Frankfurt three weeks ago.

The formula E season ended not so long ago, with Jaguar dead last. The new season will start in Hong Kong on December 3rd 2017. I read a little about the I-Pace racing series on the homepage, and to my surprise it says, that it will begin in the fifth formula E season. But it is only the fourth season, which is about to begin. That means, that the I-Pace will not be racing in more than a year. Isn't that very late? In a year competing cars will be on the market and perhaps better cars than we know of today. I thought Jaguar wanted to be the first premium brand with an EV SUV. If they keep postponing everything, the competitors will overtake them.
Here we go, the production car has been effectively delayed by a year, explaining why the Trophy car won't appear till the Formula E season 2018/19:

'The timing of the production reveal next March in Geneva, with deliveries to first customers expected in late summer, also ties in with the start of the I-Pace racing championship, which Jaguar has announced will run from the autumn of 2018 alongside the all-electric Formula E single-seater championship.'

My view is what's happened here is that Magna have stepped in and stopped JLR from doing their usual thing of launching almost totally undeveloped cars, which the media then covers for.

Magna probably couldn't stomach that rubbish, putting lost sales/production for one year behind their engineering integrity, rightly so, as in the long run being associated with a sub-Tesla quality lash up as the I-Pace was shaping up to be, for just max 10k units/yr, within the mighty Magna organisation, would have been the height of foolishness.

But JLR is really going to regret working with Magna, as now the Audi E-tron Quattro SUV will get to market first, and that's all that matters to JLR - headline buzz.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts