XF Forum banner

Which Premium SUV Name is The Worst?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow - what were they thinking. I'm hoping this can be reversed.

So the Jaguar SUV will be called the Jaguar F-Pace?

That has to be the worst name ever, perhaps with the exception of the Ford Pinto.

Even the reveal video is weird, with multiple shots of a competitors headquarters building.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
JAGUAR F-PACE:
AN ALL-NEW PERFORMANCE CROSSOVER TO JOIN LINE-UP IN 2016

- Jaguar announces F-PACE – the production version of the breakthrough C-X17 concept car
- A highly-efficient five-seat performance crossover underpinned by Jaguar's innovative aluminium-intensive architecture and advanced suspension system
- All-weather and dynamic driving traction to be aided by the Instinctive All Wheel Drive® system and Jaguar's All Surface Progress Control technology*
- The Jaguar F-PACE will deliver an unrivalled blend of style, performance and practicality

(MAHWAH, NJ) – January 11, 2015 – Jaguar has today confirmed it will introduce an all-new model to the Jaguar line-up, to go on-sale in 2016, named the Jaguar F-PACE.

Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar, commented, "We received such an overwhelmingly positive response to the C-X17 concept car last year that we just had to make it a reality.

"The Jaguar F-PACE, inspired by the F-TYPE, represents a perfectly judged balance of style, performance and practicality. It offers a unique combination of Jaguar sports car inspired exterior design, fused beautifully with a thoroughly practical and spacious luxury interior. The F-PACE is our family sports car."

The Jaguar F-PACE couples leading interior space and exceptional on-road dynamics with five-seat functionality to produce a true performance crossover. It will encapsulate everything that Jaguar stands for: beautiful design, precise handling, a supple ride, luxurious interior finishes and cutting-edge technology.

Speaking in Detroit, Andy Goss, Jaguar Land Rover Global Sales Director said, "In 2015 we will celebrate the 80th year of Jaguar. We have started it by announcing our first performance crossover which we consider to be the ultimate practical sports car - a car that builds on the brand's founding ideals of Grace, Pace and Space to become one of the most innovative Jaguar vehicles we've ever developed. The F-PACE has now begun its engineering and development testing program ahead of the new model going on sale in 2016."

F-PACE continues the new model roll-out for Jaguar, ensuring 2015 will most definitely be the year of the cat."

Designed and engineered in the UK, the F-PACE has now begun its rigorous real-world testing at Jaguar Land Rover's extensive global test facilities. The F-PACE will be manufactured in Solihull, UK.

Further details of Jaguar's all-new F-PACE will be revealed later this year - #FPACE

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
I heard this morning an executive director of Jaguar Land Rover say that the F Pace as a model etc has been subjected to extensive market testing and I would expect because of that the the name was given a big thumbs up, we will see :)

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Whatever one thinks of the name and so on the F Pace will be good for jobs :)

Detroit, USA:

Jaguar Land Rover has announced plans to create 1,300 new jobs as it continues to accelerate its industry-leading expertise in aluminium and lightweight technologies. The news comes following confirmation that the UK’s largest manufacturing investor will add a further new Jaguar model to its product portfolio. The Jaguar performance crossover, set to go on sale in 2016, follows the Jaguar XE into the new facilities within the world-renowned Solihull plant.

This latest announcement from the Detroit auto show will see Jaguar Land Rover’s Solihull manufacturing plant continue to develop its world-class capability in aluminium vehicle construction for which the company is synonymous. It also marks the start of an incredible year for the British manufacturer who will deliver 12 significant product actions in the next 12 months alone.

Jaguar Land Rover CEO Dr. Ralf Speth said: “Today’s announcements once again demonstrate our commitment to the UK and the advancement of a high-tech, high skilled, manufacturing-led economy.
“Jaguar Land Rover is committed to delivering more great products. It is that innovation and relentless quest for new technologies that sets our products apart. We want to offer customers greater choice, with even more exciting vehicles, crafted with that special British flair. We want to improve the quality of life for our customers and for our own employees, creating opportunities for more people to be part of the Jaguar Land Rover experience.”

To support the introduction of its new aluminium and lightweight technologies Jaguar Land Rover has already invested £1.5bn. The new facilities represent the largest single investment in the Solihull plant in its 70 year history and created an impressive ‘factory within a factory’. Incorporating Europe’s largest aluminum body shop and final assembly hall - collectively the size of 22 football pitches, the new state-of-the-art facilities bring the Jaguar brand to Solihull for the first time, and continues to showcase the company’s pioneering leadership in aluminum vehicle construction which dates back to 2003 with the introduction of the seventh generation Jaguar XJ.

As a result of the continued developments at Solihull, Jaguar Land Rover is creating an additional 1,300 new jobs at the site. Applications for the new roles are now being accepted and following its commitment to enhancing employment opportunities for former service personnel in the wake of the Invictus Games, Jaguar Land Rover is welcoming applications from military personnel who are leaving or have left the services.

The expansion of the Solihull site is the outward expression of the continued drive to reinvigorate every aspect of the company. Today, the plant builds world-renowned vehicles such as the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Land Rover Discovery and is home to the iconic Defender. Most recently, the site has welcomed the first Jaguar in its history, with the introduction of the new Jaguar XE, which begins production in the Spring.

Jaguar Land Rover continues on its path of measured and sustainable growth with record full year retail sales in 2014 of 462,678, double that of 2008. A 2014/15 fiscal year investment of £3.75bn in product creation has seen the introduction of a host of new and exciting products and business expansion. The company’s headcount has increased to 32,000, 10,000 more than were employed just four years ago.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
If you want to call a car Pace I am surprised it is this one. It reminds me of the advertising for the very first XJ in the 60's. Grace, Pace and No Dive Geometry. Yes it really was. I wonder what the thinking is behind this.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I heard this morning an executive director of Jaguar Land Rover say that the F Pace as a model etc has been subjected to extensive market testing and I would expect because of that the the name was given a big thumbs up, we will see :)
If you want to get a car talked about they have done the right thing.
note: A word of warning to anyone of a nervous disposition. Don't read the reader comments in today's on line DT.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
If you want to call a car Pace I am surprised it is this one. It reminds me of the advertising for the very first XJ in the 60's. Grace, Pace and No Dive Geometry. Yes it really was. I wonder what the thinking is behind this.
I doubt that the words "Grace, Pace and No dive Geometry" will resonate with many, particularly with an XJ. I well remember clutching the very prestigious black brochure for the Jaguar MK X, the cover of which carried the slogan Grace, Pace and Space :)

And yes I have no doubt that Jaguar were happy to discuss the F Pace with the BBC this morning because they were announcing 1300 new jobs. When asked by the interviewer if the F Pace would damage the sales of Range Rover products the reply was No, because it is aimed at a distinct segment which is well understood as a result of extensive market research.

As for the name F Pace and its acceptability with the target market I would remind you that quite a few people on here and elsewhere scoffed at the name Sportbrake, we don't read much about that now :)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I doubt that the words "Grace, Pace and No dive Geometry" will resonate with many, particularly with an XJ. I well remember clutching the very prestigious black brochure for the Jaguar MK X, the cover of which carried the slogan Grace, Pace and Space :)

And yes I have no doubt that Jaguar were happy to discuss the F Pace with the BBC this morning because they were announcing 1300 new jobs. When asked by the interviewer if the F Pace would damage the sales of Range Rover products the reply was No, because it is aimed at a distinct segment which is well understood as a result of extensive market research.

As for the name F Pace and its acceptability with the target market I would remind you that quite a few people on here and elsewhere scoffed at the name Sportbrake, we don't read much about that now :)
Sorry Peter I left out Space in my haste, but I guarantee the no dive slogan, it was supposedly the first car to not take a nose dive every time you hit the brakes. I remember demonstrating this with pride to everyone who had a lift.
Sportbrake. Perfect name for a sporty shooting brake, I could never understand the objections.
Target market. That includes me as a change up from the Sportbrake and I reserve judgement but it would not be my first choice of name and I have the option of Land Rover if the Sportbrake is discontinued as does everyone. However looking on the bright side I expect great things and look forward to getting one.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Sorry Peter I left out Space in my haste, but I guarantee the no dive slogan, it was supposedly the first car to not take a nose dive every time you hit the brakes. I remember demonstrating this with pride to everyone who had a lift.
Sportbrake. Perfect name for a sporty shooting brake, I could never understand the objections.
Target market. That includes me as a change up from the Sportbrake and I reserve judgement but it would not be my first choice of name and I have the option of Land Rover if the Sportbrake is discontinued as does everyone. However looking on the bright side I expect great things and look forward to getting one.
Well if I had any reservations about the F Pace it would be, despite the market research, that it will capture a number of Evoque, now there's a name, buyers ; particularly as it is expected to launch at around £30,000 :)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Well if I had any reservations about the F Pace it would be, despite the market research, that it will capture a number of Evoque, now there's a name, buyers ; particularly as it is expected to launch at around £30,000 :)
Don't be fooled by the £30K. It will get a slice of the UK market but don't expect anything worth while until you get much nearer to £40K. If the Sportbrake goes it will do well without worrying Land Rover.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Don't be fooled by the £30K. It will get a slice of the UK market but don't expect anything worth while until you get much nearer to £40K. If the Sportbrake goes it will do well without worrying Land Rover.

You our are quite right Bernard. My thinking is that because the base price of the Evoque is around the same as the F Pace, whatever bits are added they are going to be similarly priced.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It must be one the worst names thought up ( besides Vauxhall's Adam). I'm sure a group of young school children would have done better! Phil

·
Registered
759 Posts
Soon to be known as the P(ee)-Face to school boys and SUV haters everywhere.
Absolutely brilliant Nillamb.You could excel in the office of the JLR marketing department with renaming this Jaguar misfit as the P--Face.
It has been dubbed the SHE-TYPE by some papers today as it will be a hit on the yummy mummy school run.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Whatever one thinks of the name and so on the F Pace will be good for jobs :)

“Today’s announcements once again demonstrate our commitment to the UK and the advancement of a high-tech, high skilled, manufacturing-led economy.
Job's for who ? With a plant in China another under construction in Brazil negotiation's underway for a plant in the USA and rumours of a plant in Saudi (Saudi being one of the biggest aluminium smelters in the world) And don't forget the knock down plants in Kenya, Malaysia, Turkey and Pune in India all building in kit form, But none of this as they keep saying will have any effect on UK production. Hmmmmmm

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Job's for who ? With a plant in China another under construction in Brazil negotiation's underway for a plant in the USA and rumours of a plant in Saudi (Saudi being one of the biggest aluminium smelters in the world) And don't forget the knock down plants in Kenya, Malaysia, Turkey and Pune in India all building in kit form, But none of this as they keep saying will have any effect on UK production. Hmmmmmm
Have faith. In the last three years the headcount including the 1700 recently announced for the XE production and the 1300 today has increased by nearly 10,000.
Who knows what the future will bring but plainly the JLR star is in the ascendancy :)

http://www.fish4.co.uk/job/3732439/advanced-apprenticeship-scheme-in-automotive-maintenance-manufacturing/?TrackID=148&cmpid=Aggregator_Indeed_alljobs#sc=jobfeed&me=feed&cm=Indeed_alljobs

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Now tell me that this name is wrong, another "crossover" :D

(Crewe/Detroit, 12[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2015)

Bentley’s all-new and ground-breaking luxury SUV is set to be revealed to the world later this year and a name has been chosen: Bentley Bentayga.

This sector-defining SUV will be able to introduce Bentley’s renowned modern British luxury to limitless destinations with an impressive combination of on and off road performance.

The natural world, along with the company’s founder, inspired its name. Crowning the Northern Hemisphere, to the north of Bentley’s birthplace in England, is the dramatic beauty of the Taiga, the world’s largest
transcontinental snowforest. To the south, the rugged peak of the Roque Bentayga in the subtropical Canary Islands draws attention from all directions and a challenging climb rewards with spectacular panoramic views of a rich and diverse landscape.

Wolfgang Dürheimer, Chairman and CEO of Bentley Motors, comments:
“Bentayga is a name that reflects what we know our SUV will do better than any other car in the world – combine the best automotive luxury with outstanding performance to take the Bentley experience to new environments.”
The new Bentley Bentayga will be revealed later in 2015, and on sale in 2016. For regular updates and further news on the Bentayga, please visit www.NewBentley.com

That's all folks, except to say that Bentayga is a mountain :)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts