XF Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Telephoned Jaguar Customer Service today at around 1-30pm to try and get an honest answer on the problem of rear disc scoring and sat-nav problems affecting my Car as described on my recent forum entry.The young lady who took my call claimed she had not heard of either problem affecting the XF--A good start to getting honest answers I thought!
Said she would have to talk to the Technical team and would call me back with information before I left my office at 4- 30pm.No call back so I await developments.

My dealer does not seem to have kept a record of them telling me that modified discs and pads were coming soon and no job card was raised to order these modified parts so I am waiting for a call from them too after they sort themselves out with the parts department.Things can only get better.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
hydrajaws said:
Telephoned Jaguar Customer Service today at around 1-30pm to try and get an honest answer on the problem of rear disc scoring and sat-nav problems affecting my Car as described on my recent forum entry.The young lady who took my call claimed she had not heard of either problem affecting the XF--A good start to getting honest answers I thought!
Said she would have to talk to the Technical team and would call me back with information before I left my office at 4- 30pm.No call back so I await developments.

My dealer does not seem to have kept a record of them telling me that modified discs and pads were coming soon and no job card was raised to order these modified parts so I am waiting for a call from them too after they sort themselves out with the parts department.Things can only get better.
Could it be that the information you were given simply did not reflect Jaguar policy?
Certainly, there are conflicting stories going around about this issue; some dealers are replacing discs others are not. I do know that Jaguar managers are aware of the issue of scored discs and they take the view that it is not a a safety issue and replacement is not required. Could it be that the person in the dealers that you went to learned that what you were told was wrong and chooses now to plead ignorant?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After 3 Days without a response to my original enquiry for honest answers I rang Jaguar customer services again.They had no trace of my original call and on my second call could not even find my XF from the registration number!!Here is their response.
Rear brake disc scoring is now an officially logged problem and "Jaguar Managers"have decided that it is not a safety issue and have instructed dealers not to replace discs under warrenty if customers complain.I pointed out to the very helpful but not technical Lady that scored brake discs can mean an MOT failure on safety grounds and considered this decision therefore unacceptable.
The Lady would not admit to having heard of any problems with the Sat-nav system in the XF and could not find any information but suggested that I visit my Dealer and fully report the problem to them so that they would in turn report the problem to Jaguar and by doing this it would then become "official".
So my quest to get honest answers and then a solution to what I consider to be real problems with the XF from customer services has not exactly been a success so far.
I intend to visit the Dealer now and see what their response will be.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
hydrajaws said:
After 3 Days without a response to my original enquiry for honest answers I rang Jaguar customer services again.They had no trace of my original call and on my second call could not even find my XF from the registration number!!Here is their response.
Rear brake disc scoring is now an officially logged problem and "Jaguar Managers"have decided that it is not a safety issue and have instructed dealers not to replace discs under warrenty if customers complain.I pointed out to the very helpful but not technical Lady that scored brake discs can mean an MOT failure on safety grounds and considered this decision therefore unacceptable.The Lady would not admit to having heard of any problems with the Sat-nav system in the XF and could not find any information but suggested that I visit my Dealer and fully report the problem to them so that they would in turn report the problem to Jaguar and by doing this it would then become "official".
So my quest to get honest answers and then a solution to what I consider to be real problems with the XF from customer services has not exactly been a success so far.
I intend to visit the Dealer now and see what their response will be.
Cracked, excessively scored, excessively pitted
or excessively worn brake disc.

Above are the words in the MOT Testers manual, so you are quite right about the fact that a scored disc may cause failure, but the certain way to discover if your discs fall below the standard is to have the car tested by VOSA.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The Lady would not admit to having heard of any problems with the Sat-nav system in the XF and could not find any information but suggested that I visit my Dealer and fully report the problem to them so that they would in turn report the problem to Jaguar and by doing this it would then become "official".

This could be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I reported experiencing satnav logic problems during a trip to Germany on June 1st and received this answer to a later follow up query from Jaguar Customer Service on 4th July.

The matter is still being investigated as we do have some concerns about the route guidance algorithms used by the system in the XF, following the information you have sent to us. At this stage we are unable to advise on the feasibility of applying any revised software, if and when it is introduced, to previously built cars, due to potential incompatibles of this change with the rest of the navigation software. From a timing viewpoint, I am afraid that I cannot advise you of any changes to the system that are likely to be made before the autumn.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Vapourgrey said:

This could be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. I reported experiencing satnav logic problems during a trip to Germany on June 1st and received this answer to a later follow up query from Jaguar Customer Service on 4th July.

The matter is still being investigated as we do have some concerns about the route guidance algorithms used by the system in the XF, following the information you have sent to us. At this stage we are unable to advise on the feasibility of applying any revised software, if and when it is introduced, to previously built cars, due to potential incompatibles of this change with the rest of the navigation software. From a timing viewpoint, I am afraid that I cannot advise you of any changes to the system that are likely to be made before the autumn.

Tempting as it is to just pick up the phone and talk directly to Jaguar, I think that there is great merit in emailing them. This has the obvious benefit of having created a record of the issue but in addition it is likely to produce, as Vapourgrey has shown above, an unequivocal reply which can be produced for others to read :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It almost tempting to ask your jaguar dealer to do an MOT on your XF and see if they pass the disc's. That said the probably would!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Although a number of people are reporting scored discs I am not sure they are anywhere near the depth required to fail an MOT. To do so you are talking about a scoring of at least 5mm.

·
Registered
306 Posts
craig said:
Although a number of people are reporting scored discs I am not sure they are anywhere near the depth required to fail an MOT. To do so you are talking about a scoring of at least 5mm.

Mine are as smooth as a babys bum after 600+ miles on that understanding it seems it would have to be a bad batch of either discs or pads.

gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts