XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports just released their 2011 Brand Perception Survey. I'm saddened to report that Jaguar had the 6th worst score on that survey. Land Rover did even worse at 4th worst brand. JLR has some homework here. Maybe that explains the sales results.

You can read the full report here: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2011/01/2011-car-brand-perception-survey/overview/index.htm

Competitive Set Results:

BMW scored 93 - 5th best
Mercedes scored 90 - 6th best
Lexus scored 69 - 8th best
Cadillac scored 66 - 9th best

Land Rover scored 9 - 4rh worst
Jaguar scored 13 - 6th worst

How did this happen?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Jaguar: 6th Worst Brand Perception in Consumer Reports Surve

Consumer Reports 2011 Brand Perception Best/Worst Overall Table:
[attachment=0:29rwcf7u]2011BrandPerception.jpg[/attachment:29rwcf7u]

As you can see, Jaguar and Land Rover are the *only* premium brands amongst the worst column.

Your reaction Mr. Foster?

·
Registered
242 Posts

The report states: "Consumer perception has many influences, from hands-on experience and word of mouth to media reports and marketing. Because it may take time for experience and external influences to shape perceptions, they can be a lagging indicator and a predictor of future behavior."

My perception of Jaguar was that they make cars that are nice but qualitatively inferior to the likes of BMW, Audi and MB.

I would never have chosen to buy a Jaguar if it hadn't been for a cousin of mine taking me for a ride in his brand new XJ. I was VERY impressed. His choice of Jaguar over any other make (which he can easily afford), made choosing a Jaguar a totally acceptable option for me.

Our own buying decision was made by the heart and not the head and was helped by my cousin. Up to now I am more than happy with my XF. However, my love affair with this car will soon be over if she (the XF) starts to let me down in the quality department. On the other hand, I may well forgive her like I have forgiven all the issues I have had with all my Jeeps over the past thirteen years.

This survey is based on hearsay and perception. So it could be argued that this survey isn't that important. Whatever way this is looked upon, to do better in this survey can take years even with one's very best efforts.

One thing I would say is that if I were in charge of Jaguar, I would (over) emphasise that Jaguar has turned the corner where quality is concerned and put in place some kind of warranty or even a guaranteed residual. For many, Jaguar is still not a credible alternative to the German brands unlike Lexus. And to be honest, I am still sitting on the fence on that one.

·
Registered
360 Posts

How the scores were calculated
The Consumer Reports National Research Center conducted a random, nationwide telephone survey Dec. 2-6, 2010, contacting 2,019 adults. The Center collected the survey data from 1,721 adults in households that had at least one car.

Not the largest survey ever conducted was it? I reckon you could randomly survey that number of car owners every day and get a different result every day. Surveys, like statistics, are not as good as forums such as this excellent one. Real users giving real opinions about the cars they drive.

Before buying my XF I spent several months lurking on this and other forums reading the problems people were having with thier purchases. My overall impressiion was that every brand/model had problems and that Jaguar appeared no worse or better than any other. What did help me decide on the XF, apart for the stunning looks, were the number of posts complimenting Jaguar on thier after sales support, yes I know there were some that were/are not happy with thier XF but show me a manufacturer that has 100% customer satifaction and I'll look at buying thier brand of car next.

I have experienced the BMW 'our machines don't go wrong it must be you' and Mercedes 'Of course we know it's your fault' attitudes along with some equally excellent responses form both, it seems to just depend on who you speak to (and probably how you speak to them too) and what the issue is. I'm certain the same can be said of Jaguar and every other car manufacturer.

To be frank, no manufacturer of any goods gets it right everytime and issues do arise, it's how the issues are dealt with that really counts and I don't 'perceive' Jaguar to be any worse than anyone else.

I hope that as people get to know the revitalised brand that is Jaguar, surveys such as these start to reflect what is a remarkable turnaround for a manufacturing company during such tough economic times, but if they don't I'll still be listening to the actual users of the things I intend to buy, rather than to surveys such as this.

·
Registered
134 Posts

I think mr Foster does not blink an eye and he is right. What do we care about the opinion of 1900 something Americans who probably never have been near a Jaguar in their lives?
Waste of energy these kind of surveys.

·
Registered
9,965 Posts

"Perception"????

Most of the people surveyed in these surveys have never been in a Jaguar, let alone bought one.

Most people wouldn't buy a Jaguar regardless of the "Brand Perception".

For marketing, the only "perception" that matters is the perception of potential customers of the brand, not just the general population.

P T Barnum said it best.....(I think, or maybe it was Mencken) nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the average member of the public.

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts

jagular said:
P T Barnum said it best.....(I think, or maybe it was Mencken) nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the average member of the public.
Mr Google tells me that you were right second time, Henry Louis Mencken :lol:
“Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Baron, I am not being xenophobic in any way but would it be in order to ask us Brits about our perception of American brands :?:
Why is that you feel that Jaguar has to impact on the conciousness of the American car buyer, we rarely consider buying an American offering.
Given the limited production capacity of Jaguar would you not ever think that Jaguars marketing effort might better be directed at markets other than the North American at present :?:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

keggy said:
Not the largest survey ever conducted was it?
Actually, for live phone interview survey, that is very large. Only brands/results that exceed the statistical threshold are reported, and the methodology is designed to compensate for low volume brands.

"Overall brand perception is an index calculated as the total number of times that a particular make was mentioned as exemplar across all seven categories, divided by the total unaided mentions. (Interview subjects were asked what brands exemplified the traits instead of being read a list of brands.) That approach compensates for awareness level, ensuring that every brand has an equal chance of leading a category, not just the best-selling or most well known brands.

Category scores reflect the number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar of the particular attribute, again corrected for awareness. "

j33per said:
One thing I would say is that if I were in charge of Jaguar, I would (over) emphasise that Jaguar has turned the corner where quality is concerned
Except that this is NOT true. Jaguar led initial quality in the US in 2007 and 2008 - and Jaguar had that in ALL its ads and in every dealership. When the XF was launched, Jaguar quality plunged to the bottom of the list in 2009/2010. Land Rover quality has been the absolute worst - dead last - as well in 2009/2010.

Here is the reality in Reliability - based on responses from 82,000 owners - Jaguar cars have twice as many problems as say Porsche and Mercedes:
[attachment=0:1rsvvm80]2010reliability.jpg[/attachment:1rsvvm80]

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pekem said:
Given the limited production capacity of Jaguar would you not ever think that Jaguars marketing effort might better be directed at markets other than the North American at present :?:
Well, the US is the largest export market for Jaguar, and is the second market after the UK. I'd think that Jaguar should pay attention to its top export market, don't you think?

The UK is a rounding error for US brands sales, so, no, I don't think it is critical that pay much attention to that. They do pay attention to their core brands reputation - e.g. Ford spends a ton of money to maintain their UK band perception.

G

·
0 Posts
Baron

That chart looks like a pretty tight cluster to me. The only brand that stands out is Land-Rover (& possibly Mitsubishi).

Considering the teething problems encountered with new models it would be very easy to drop 10-15 places especially if 2 of your 3 model line up were new.

I did notice that BMW scored 113 faults to Jaguar's 130 with both their core models (3 & 5 series) at the end of their life when they should have been most reliable.

Interesting as these statistics are, without knowing the type of fault it is difficult to place any significance on them. Are they for instance, placing the same weight to a broken cupholder as a complete mechanical failure?

·
Registered
360 Posts

baron95 said:
keggy said:
Not the largest survey ever conducted was it?
Actually, for live phone interview survey, that is very large. Only brands/results that exceed the statistical threshold are reported, and the methodology is designed to compensate for low volume brands.

"Overall brand perception is an index calculated as the total number of times that a particular make was mentioned as exemplar across all seven categories, divided by the total unaided mentions. (Interview subjects were asked what brands exemplified the traits instead of being read a list of brands.) That approach compensates for awareness level, ensuring that every brand has an equal chance of leading a category, not just the best-selling or most well known brands.

Category scores reflect the number of times that the particular make was mentioned as an exemplar of the particular attribute, again corrected for awareness. "
Ok maybe for a live phone survey that's a lot of people (I'm not so sure but I'm not an expert) but as a representation of the total number of car owners in the US it's not even a 'rounding error'.

And selecting size 50 in your post was just cruel on my eyes :lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 10' XF premium for 7 months now. This is my first and last Jaguar! My car has been in the shop for so many different issues I can't even list them. On top of the fact that the Service center is completely incompetent and blames its clients for things that actually happen while on their premises. The sad part about this vehicle is that the moment its leaves the dealer it drops in value by 45%! This type of depreciation substantiates the fact of the poor quality of the car with the addition of perception. Coming out of 2 Range Rover Sports and 2 LR3's I can tell you that I never had a problem with Land Rover products. The issue is Jaguar. Tata should cut its losses and get rid of the brand. It adds nothing to it's strive to be successful and undermines the innovation of the LandRover brand..

X

·
0 Posts

baron95 said:
As you can see, Jaguar and Land Rover are the *only* premium brands amongst the worst column.

Your reaction Mr. Foster?
Hi baron, please forgive my ignorance but out of curiosity who is the Mr. Foster you refer too?

·
Administrator
22,463 Posts
Things are on the up Baron, in China :)

The main report comes from our Deputy Prime Minister, it is not your old chum , Tata Motors chief executive Carl-Peter Forster, spinning again :lol:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

keggy said:
And selecting size 50 in your post was just cruel on my eyes :lol:
Apologies - I fixed that - I didn't want to bore everyone with the survey methodology.

Consumer Reports and J.D. Power have the top automotive surveys in the US. The reason people put a lot of value in Consumer Reports is that that company does not take one dime in ads or sells anything to the auto industry. They buy their own cars. They don't test cars furnished by manufacturers.

Like it or not, they influence the market.

pekem said:
Things are on the up Baron, in China :)
Peter, Peter, Peter - et tu? :) :)

LAND ROVER sales are up!!!! Congrats.

Jaguar? Not so much!!!

Jaguar global sales for all of 2010 are flat (likely down a bit) compared to 2009 (the depths of the global recession). Every other premium brand in the world is way up.

Now, go and try to find total Jaguar sales numbers for 2010? You will not find it from Jaguar Land rover. And I will tell you why. It is because global Jaguar sales actually declined in 2010, but JLR doesn't want to report it. They reported it as: "Jaguar's sales for the year were equal to that of 2009".

Really???!!!!! Equal?!!!! As in exactly the same number?!!!??? Wow. What are the odds of that? Or maybe they were somewhat down, but Jaguar is reporting them soviet style.

Guess which one is true?

Fear not - when I have some free time, I will hunt down the numbers.

P.S. Nice Job by the UK delegation signing important deals with China on trade - well done. That is the type of help JLR needs from government.

G

·
0 Posts

baron95 said:
Really???!!!!! Equal?!!!! As in exactly the same number?!!!??? Wow. What are the odds of that? Or maybe they were somewhat down, but Jaguar is reporting them soviet style.
If the figures are about equal that has to be viewed as a result following the demise of the X-Type. What would happen to BMW numbers if they stopped producing the 3 series or Mercedes the C Class?

Hopefully Jaguar will stop messing about with SUV's, 4x4's & supercars and get back into the premium small car market with a competetive car. If they can take on the 5 series & the E class with the XF & the 7 series with the XJ then I see no reason why they cannot compete against the 3 series & the C class. The only thing that may be stopping them is lack of capacity & a sub 120g 4 cylinder diesel engine. (I did read that BMW sold more 320D's than all other derivatives put together.)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I for one am beginning to wonder if there is some motive behind Baron's repeated doom and gloom postings. Anyway, for the record, these sales numbers have been issued:

"a total of 13, 340 Jaguars were sold in 2010 compared to 11, 955 units in the year 2009 thereby growing at 12 percent."

With regard to the December sales:

"Jaguar witnessed a drop of 5% in sales selling 1,180 cars as compared to 1,246 units during December 2009."

Soviet style?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some of us got used to the baron 'style' in another forum, but can now choose, if we wish, to luxuriate in it on here as well.

I don't think there's a predetermined agenda, but by golly there's some exhaustive or exhausting enthusiasm.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmmm.... I just had to step in here. I know many have had issues with XFs, but ever since cars started getting more and more complex (i.e. since the invention of the automobile), people have had problems. Some are luckier than others, some are unluckier than others.

I for one bought a Jag XK and then changed it almost 5 years later for the XFR. I had very few problems with the XK which resulted in me choosing Jaguar again. Tata have done well to help the marque rather than suffocating it.

If people have problems with their cars, but the majority do not and are very happy, then the conclusion has to be that Jaguar are generally a much better brand than before. If service centre staff are incompetent and dealers are nasty well that cannot really be the marques fault (although it may stop people buying that marque in the future).

As for the depreciation being 45% the moment it leaves the dealer, well thats just wrong if you just search for used XKs or XFs and do the maths. I am not sure where you are based but it sounds like car residuals are really bad where you are!

I don't work for Jaguar nor have shares in them. I just bought from them because I was happy with what I saw, and had a good experience. I am truly sorry you had a tough time and were one of the "unlucky" ones.

As in any industry, BAD news travels a lot faster (and is a lot stickier) than good news. Perception is influenced by many things - we are human after all. There are many horror stories I have had with Audis, Mercs and heard with BMWs too... but they still sell because of their market share and strategy. Jaguar is more niche and so negativity can have a big impact.

barrynew115 said:
I own a 10' XF premium for 7 months now. This is my first and last Jaguar! My car has been in the shop for so many different issues I can't even list them. On top of the fact that the Service center is completely incompetent and blames its clients for things that actually happen while on their premises. The sad part about this vehicle is that the moment its leaves the dealer it drops in value by 45%! This type of depreciation substantiates the fact of the poor quality of the car with the addition of perception. Coming out of 2 Range Rover Sports and 2 LR3's I can tell you that I never had a problem with Land Rover products. The issue is Jaguar. Tata should cut its losses and get rid of the brand. It adds nothing to it's strive to be successful and undermines the innovation of the LandRover brand..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts