XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 14 years in a company car scheme (currently driving an X Type 2.2D Sport Estate), I've decided to opt out and have placed an order for a 2.7D Lux with 18" wheels, metallic paint, heated seats and i-Pod connectivity.

I did get what I consider to be a great deal on the 2.7 even though the 3.0 is just around the corner and figured that the difference in fuel costs over 36 months was negated by the deal. Also based on the reviews and a brief test drive feel that the 2.7 will have more than ample get up and go for me.

I've only just found this site and have already had a good look at some of the postings. I really hope that now I'm 'on my own' (ie not in a company car scheme) that I don't have the kind of problems that have been posted on the site. I have had no problems with my X Type apart from a stuck EGR valve that was fixed within 2 hours at the roadside by Jaguar Assist - not bad when the car has covered 86,000 miles in three years - so hope that I am lucky with the XF.

Couple of questions:
1. Are there any common known and re-occuring problems that I should check for when I pick up the new car. Can I check to see if the most up to date software is loaded etc...
2. What are your views on 'running in'. My dealer has told me that there are no restraints apart from tyring to avoid heavy braking in the first 100 miles.
3. I only had a short test drive and didn't get chance to use the Sat Nav - is it really as bad as intimated. I currently use a Tom-Tom which I was going to give to my parents, but may hold on to if the standard Sat Nav isn't up to much

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
MWD said:
Couple of questions:
1. Are there any common known and re-occuring problems that I should check for when I pick up the new car. Can I check to see if the most up to date software is loaded etc...
2. What are your views on 'running in'. My dealer has told me that there are no restraints apart from tyring to avoid heavy braking in the first 100 miles.
3. I only had a short test drive and didn't get chance to use the Sat Nav - is it really as bad as intimated. I currently use a Tom-Tom which I was going to give to my parents, but may hold on to if the standard Sat Nav isn't up to much
There are no recurring problems that I know of. You can check if the Satnav has been updated by going to the Navigation Menu. If the Cancel Guidance” and “RDS-TMC” buttons are visible the latest software has been installed.
I think the Satnav is very good now that the route calculation logic has been sorted.

This is what the handbook says about running in.
Apart from a few precautionary recommendations, there are no strict running-in procedures for this vehicle.
By observing the following advisory precautions you will ensure maximum engine, transmission and brake life for your vehicle:
Engine
• Allow the engine to reach operating temperature before operating at engine speeds over 3500 rev/min.
• Vary the speed frequently.
• From 1 500 kilometres (940 miles) onwards, gradually increase performance of the vehicle up to the permitted maximum speed.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Welcome to the forum MWD :)
I am happy to endorse the comments of Vapourgrey and would add only that the key to exhilarating and rewarding ownership of an XF is to ensure that you have the support of an excellent dealership and one whose advice you are happy to accept.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vapourgrey & Pekem - thanks for your responses. To date, the dealer (Lancaster Reading) has been extremely helpful. I've used them for servicing of the X Type and the salesman has been very professional and patient! The only hitch has been spending 2 hours choosing a colour only to find that the car had been sold and then having to go through the whole process again. (The deal on offer was for a stock order 2.7 ahead of the launch of the 3.0, so colour options were limited and I need to have a charcoal black interior due to a young son who regularly has muddy feet!). I originally chose Indigo Blue (looked stunning in the showroom on a collection XK) but have now settled for Ultimate Black which I am trying to get as excited about! Kind of wish that I'd considered the Green after seeing Pekem's piccies, but it's too late now!

My car has got the standard stereo with i-Pod connector - ideally I would have liked the 320w upgrade (couldn't justify £1700 for the B & W). Have either of you got the standard stereo and if so, is the quality good as often the standard systems can sound a bit flat (you wouldn't beleive ho poor the BMW standard system sounds compared to my X Type unit).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Sorry I can't help MWD, my car has the 320W sound system

·
Registered
216 Posts
pekem said:
the key to exhilarating and rewarding ownership of an XF is to ensure that you have the support of an excellent dealership and one whose advice you are happy to accept.
lol - that's very diplomatically put Pekem :)

i have a standard stereo with DAB, and have no complaints so far. it doesn't seem flat to me. basslines are punchy enough, and vocals are crisp, though i'm by no means an audiophile.

wrt to the nav, i went from a tom-tom too, and the tom-tom is a way better system in terms of user interface, and the clarity of mapping and directions, but the Jag system hasn't let me down yet, and i'm getting the hang of it. it gets used on a fairly regular basis for home visits (i'm a gp) and occasionally further afield stuff and it's been fine.

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
MWD said:
Vapourgrey & Pekem - Have either of you got the standard stereo and if so, is the quality good as often the standard systems can sound a bit flat (you wouldn't beleive ho poor the BMW standard system sounds compared to my X Type unit).
I am afraid that I can't help either because I have the B&W system, which I hasten to add in the words of my daughter "is a complete and total waste on you" :oops:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have mine in Midnight/Ultimate Black PL with iPod interface and I must say the sound system is superb. Hope you can get excited about the colour, because when its clean, believe me, the heads on the street will certainly be turning to look as you drive by. The interior colour is fine - hides the dirt well and more importantly - its classy. Although I am considering upgrading to the 3.0 litre in the summer - would love to have those lovely spicey coloured seats !!!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dear Pal,
I have the standard sound system on my XF and here is an internet review which I think and agree with :cool: "The MP3-compatible, 140-watt, eight-speaker, six-disc CD sound system is excellent, delivering crisp and clear reproduction,from music ranging from opera through jazz to hard rock. Unless you’re a real audiophile, we’re pretty sure you’ll find the standard V6’s stereo just fine." Do post some photographs soon ;) . Bestwishes Shalako

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to agree with the others re the standard XF system. I had the premier system on my previous X-Type and the XF standard system is much better - fuller sound and better bass, which surprised me as the X-Type had a subwoofer which is not included in the XF standard system. I have posted other comments under 'Audio Options for XF' in the Discussion Forum.
I wouldn't be too concerned about all the problems which have been posted on this forum. Its natural to raise an issue for discussion when something goes wrong, but say nothing when everything is tickety boo. I think most of us love our cars and have had little or no trouble - touch wood.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did exactly the same swap, from an X Type 2.2 D Sport Estate to an XF 2.7 D Lux. I collected mine on 6th December.

You'll find the ride comfort, quietnesss and refinement a complete revelation after the X Type (which was not a noisy or uncomfortable car). The XF's air of hushed refinement is a joy and it is sometimes hard to believe there is a reciprocating engine of any kind under the bonnet, it sounds and feels turbine smooth.

You will be unlucky indeed to have all the faults mentioned in the various horror stories on the Forum. The most common thing I hear when I take back to the shop the inoperative washing machine, TV, radio etc etc is 'We never have these back'. I'm just about as unlucky with buying things as you can get and my list of XF problems is only a crackling on the audio when cold (traced to a bad fibre optic connector in the back of the audio head unit), and a rattle from underneath, which it is in the workshop today for. Whilst it is there they will also (I hope) load the updated satnav software mentioned in the Forum).

They seem a great car to me but I've only done 1900 miles and so time will tell.

IMHO the standard stereo system is just fine and is certainly no worse than the one in the X Type. I suspect you would need to be a real audiophile to appreciate the upgraded one and then I doubt you would be listening to it in a moving car.

I hope that you'll be happy with the change from the X type to the XF - I am.

Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to you all for your responses to my questions - much appreciated I am pleased that the standard stereo appears to be up to the job (like I said the standard BMW unit on the 5 Series that I had on loan was dismal and I've been pleased with the standard X Type unit)

I'll also check that the latest Sat Nav software is loaded and take it easy for the first 940 miles!

I am like a small child waiting for Christmas at the moment and can't wait for the 1st March (was considering taking delivery earlier, but was told by dealer that the car will be worth c£600 more at trade in time on an 09 plate). This is even more 'enjoyable' as it is the first new car that I've bought for myself!

Slickfingers - My dealer now has a PL in Ultimate Black in the showroom and it does look stunning (let's face it, it looks good in all colours!).

Pekem - I have been in touch with polished bliss as a result of one of your earlier posts and will be ordering the relevent goodies to protect and polish! As soon as I have done this I'll upload a picture.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts