XF Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jaguar made a massive error with the X-Type by basing it on the mondeo (despite the mondeo being a good car) It has tarnished the brand somewhat.

I'm getting a huge chip on my shoulder from my mates - comments such as "nice mondeo" etc when I rock up in the XF. Anyone else had the Mondeo jibe yet?

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
XF Admin said:
Jaguar made a massive error with the X-Type by basing it on the mondeo (despite the mondeo being a good car) It has tarnished the brand somewhat.

I'm getting a huge chip on my shoulder from my mates - comments such as "nice mondeo" etc when I rock up in the XF. Anyone else had the Mondeo jibe yet?
Well that is a new one :eek:
My view is that you are surrounded by some very jealous mates, they know very well that the X type is the only car that shared the Mondeo platform :(

·
Administrator
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh - they are just winding me up - I don't really mind.

It's a good point though how that thought gets stuck in peoples heads. They do actually think it shares the mondeo platform and is the new X-type.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Apart from having four wheels and four doors I can't see the Mondeo connection, however I do think the XF has a strong likeness to the Lexus GS

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
We can all judge if the Mondeo is represented here as well as the XF. I suppose I can see some likeness but surely that is perfectly understandable given the constraints placed on designers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an X Type diesel as well as the XF.

If the X Type is an "improved" Mondeo then all I can say is that the Mondeo must have been *iss poor.
The XF is in a completely different league though, it really makes the X Type seem run of the mill.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
greencat said:
I have an X Type diesel as well as the XF.

If the X Type is an "improved" Mondeo then all I can say is that the Mondeo must have been *iss poor.
The XF is in a completely different league though, it really makes the X Type seem run of the mill.
Relax, the X Type was never an improved Mondeo. It shared bits and pieces of the Mondeo but it was still a Jaguar. Of course, it was not a luxurious as the S Type,the next model up, and the £10,000 difference in cost was well understood by drivers of the S Type.
Today the X Type is finished and with it Jaguars aspirations to get in the big league. It was perfectly understandable that disparaging remarks were made about the X Type but generally by people who could not afford one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an x type se on loan, when my xf was in garage its a good car and nippy engine . it is better than your mondeo all round especially the interior but its no match for the xf . as for it looks like the gs lexus , all cars kind of look the same but the lexus is about £5,000 more expensive and does not give you great miles to the gallon . LEXUS IS FOR THE OVER 50s BORING SHAPE

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would say that if you drove an XF, a Mondeo and a Lexus GS down a road, pedestrians would stop and stare at the XF. The Mondeo and Lexus GS wouldn't even be noticed. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think you would be hard pushed to mistake a Mondeo for an XF or visa-versa. Agreed they have similarities but don't all modern cars (Except the Fiat Multipla thank god)

However, I do think that Rover were a bit cheeky with the 75, the amount of times I have mistaken one of those for an S Type :shock:
So as for the "nice Mondeo" jibe, a bit of the green eyed monster there I feel, nothing more!

It would be nice to have an XF that someone could call a Mondeo, but that'll have to wait another 36 days! No, I'm not counting :( :lol:

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
zx10ben said:
I think you would be hard pushed to mistake a Mondeo for an XF or visa-versa. Agreed they have similarities but don't all modern cars (Except the Fiat Multipla thank god)

However, I do think that Rover were a bit cheeky with the 75, the amount of times I have mistaken one of those for an S Type :shock:
So as for the "nice Mondeo" jibe, a bit of the green eyed monster there I feel, nothing more!

It would be nice to have an XF that someone could call a Mondeo, but that'll have to wait another 36 days! No, I'm not counting :( :lol:
Not sure that is right and anyway it is wrong to speak ill of the dead :)
The Rover 75 launched in 1998
The Jaguar S-TYPE launched 1999

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well seems like they were shown publicly at the same time.

Taken from Wikipedia:

The Rover 75 was unveiled at the 1998 Birmingham Motor Show — at the same time as the new Jaguar S-Type which had similarly "retro" styling.

So definitely some rover espionage there or definitely not :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Roma said:
I would say that if you drove an XF, a Mondeo and a Lexus GS down a road, pedestrians would stop and stare at the XF. The Mondeo and Lexus GS wouldn't even be noticed. 'Nuff said.
That is so true , when i took the XF for a Test drive , we parked next to a starbucks shop near the dealership, there was me ,the Dealer and my Lady, we went in for what would seem to be a 10 to 15 minute and when we left the XF had her own crowd around it. the dealer was happy becasue of that.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
XF Man said:
Roma said:
That is so true , when i took the XF for a Test drive , we parked next to a starbucks shop near the dealership, there was me ,the Dealer and my Lady, we went in for what would seem to be a 10 to 15 minute and when we left the XF had her own crowd around it. the dealer was happy becasue of that.
That is a really relaxed way of doing business. Here, I was told that I needed to book a slot for a "trip around the block". Mind you, it is probably different today because at the time of my demo the car was only few hours old :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
pekem said:
XF Man said:
Roma said:
That is a really relaxed way of doing business. Here, I was told that I needed to book a slot for a "trip around the block". Mind you, it is probably different today because at the time of my demo the car was only few hours old :)
I have to say that is sad thing , becasue i took off for an hour and some , and i was able to floor it , that why i'll be going to V8 to the V6 , becasue a friend of mine have the V6 but the V8 Sound was Pure music . it is one of the best looking car i've ever been, seen and driven

1 - 16 of 16 Posts