XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XF has been at the dealership for an entire week (again). I've had the car for a little under four months and it's been back to the dealership five times in that period. I ought to get my own personal parking spot in their car park!

Anyway, as some of you will know i've had some minor faults, all of them very repairable. I've been somewhat disappointed with the support i've had in resolving those faults. I don't believe a car at this price level should have these kinds of faults. I've never owned a car that did and I tend to buy a new car every 18-24 months.

At the very last minute, before I was about to part-exchange my XF for a different marque, the Jag salesman kindly agreed to step in and help. He wasn't aware of all of the issues until then so full marks to him for doing the right thing.

I handed the car back to the dealer last Saturday and the salesman handed my email to the service manager of the dealership. It contained a list of nine issues, mostly very minor issues. The dealership has worked on my car for the entire week and I will, with great trepidation, collect the car very shortly. I really do hope that majority of faults are fixed and that further faults haven't been introduced or that the car isn't returned with marked leather and dirty paintwork and wheels.

I will provide an update in a few hours.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Problems I have had with my car and seeing others (on other forums) the major issue is that if you require a part and if its XF specific then you might be out of luck because everything being made for the car is being thrown at the production line and they seem very reluctant to rob the new car build process.

Best of luck Roma.

gary

·
Administrator
22,510 Posts
We all wish you and gawjus a long and happy relationship, well at least the next 18 months.
I suspect that there will be more trepidation anticipating your arrival by the dealership than that which you might experience recovering gawjus :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, guys, gawjus is back. Oh, how I missed her. The dealership put in 100% effort during the week to either resolve or provide an explanation for the issues i've had. I witnessed page after page of handwritten notes for each issue. I am happy with the resolution or explanation of each issue. The disc scoring is still unresolved and Jaguar is advising me that this is cosmetic only. I shall continue to monitor that over the next few months to see if things improve.

I have a new ripple-free rear windscreen now that provides perfect rear vision. The car had also been valeted to a decent standard when it was handed back to me.

This is all down to the efforts of the salesman who sold me the XF. If he hadn't intervened and assumed responsibility for the issues then the car would have been sold last week.

I am not the easiest customer to deal with, I shall admit that. I cannot stand poor service and I expect a very high level of customer service when I spend a large amount of money on anything. When it comes to cars I am a perfectionist and find it hard to live with small faults in premium-quality cars.

In recognition of the efforts of my Jaguar salesman, whose intervention has restored my faith in the Jaguar brand, I shall be writing to the dealer principal to express my gratitude and I shall also be writing to Jaguar Cars to point out his efforts in turning around a dire situation. I also appreciate the support i've had from members on here.

Gawjus is looking incredibly beautiful and graceful. Oh, how I missed her. I fear my wife may be feeling a little unloved today as I heap love and praise on gawjus for the rest of the day.

Roma hereby asks for permission to gush once again! :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
22,510 Posts
Roma said:
Well, guys, gawjus is back. Oh, how I missed her. The dealership put in 100% effort during the week to either resolve or provide an explanation for the issues i've had. I witnessed page after page of handwritten notes for each issue. I am happy with the resolution or explanation of each issue. The disc scoring is still unresolved and Jaguar is advising me that this is cosmetic only. I shall continue to monitor that over the next few months to see if things improve.

I have a new ripple-free rear windscreen now that provides perfect rear vision. The car had also been valeted to a decent standard when it was handed back to me.

This is all down to the efforts of the salesman who sold me the XF. If he hadn't intervened and assumed responsibility for the issues then the car would have been sold last week.

I am not the easiest customer to deal with, I shall admit that. I cannot stand poor service and I expect a very high level of customer service when I spend a large amount of money on anything. When it comes to cars I am a perfectionist and find it hard to live with small faults in premium-quality cars.

In recognition of the efforts of my Jaguar salesman, whose intervention has restored my faith in the Jaguar brand, I shall be writing to the dealer principal to express my gratitude and I shall also be writing to Jaguar Cars to point out his efforts in turning around a dire situation. I also appreciate the support i've had from members on here.

Gawjus is looking incredibly beautiful and graceful. Oh, how I missed her. I fear my wife may be feeling a little unloved today as I heap love and praise on gawjus for the rest of the day.

Roma hereby asks for permission to gush once again! :mrgreen:

At last, Roma is happy and we should all rejoice :lol:
Excellent news Roma, I hope that it means that we can see you treading the boards here again and of course, gush as much as you wish :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Roma, I hope you are happy with the work done on your car.

I am amazed however that they have not replaced you discs and pads. My dealer in Glasgow initially resisted but finaly agreed to replace them (they also had a lot of surface rust)
The other point I wanted to as about is your rear screen. Is this being replaced on all cars with the relevent code (8 I think)
My rear view is somewhat distorted

·
Administrator
22,510 Posts
scottie99 said:
Roma, I hope you are happy with the work done on your car.

I am amazed however that they have not replaced you discs and pads. My dealer in Glasgow initially resisted but finaly agreed to replace them (they also had a lot of surface rust)
The other point I wanted to as about is your rear screen. Is this being replaced on all cars with the relevent code (8 I think)
It is interesting that your dealer replaced your discs. I can only imagine that you did have a truly substandard disc and accepted as such by Jaguar or your dealer will have had to accept the cost of replacement as a goodwill gesture. Forums around the world have focussed on the issue of disc scoring, with everyone looking at their own and regarding any scoring present as a manufactuing defect, and this has inevitably led to an investigation by Jaguar but as Roma said, Jaguar regard most instance of scoring as purely cosmetic and no safety issue arises.
Others have reported that the evidence of scoring reduces as the car covers more miles. Certainly, in my own case, the scoring that I saw at an early stage appears to be less today after nearly 7000 miles.
As for rust appearing on the face of the disc, this will happen after a very short period of exposure to moisture. Indeed, I noticed oxidation on a disc of an XK R the other day; and it was occupying pride of place in a main dealer showroom :eek:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scottie99 said:
I believe that this is a well-known issue and you can get the rear windscreen replaced under warranty. I commented about the view through the rear windscreen back in April when the faulty glass wasn't a generally known issue. The difference is quite amazing. The new rear screen has been fitted well with no marks on the exterior or interior trim edges. The difference in visibility is incredible. It's almost as if the rear windscreen is not even there! I now get a very clear view and it's a marked contrast to the faulty rear windscreen.

Having new windows and windscreens fitted is always a variable experience. Whoever fitted mine must have taken extra care. Over the years i've had some disasters with new windows in various cars but Jaguar have done an outstanding job.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Has your dealer sorted out the sluggish acceleration and poor fuel consumption and did they fit new front window seals? I was interested to hear about your new rear window. My car was built in early March with . . . 8 glass, but for the life of me I cannot find any distortion. The new rear discs on my car have collected a few scores but the brakes are superb and Jaguar says scores is norm, so I will ignore them. The only outstanding niggle is the Satnav logic. I'm driving to Munich again soon and will question any instructions to leave selected trunk routes!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sluggish acceleration is still there and there is nothing the dealer can do. It's how the engine works and there are no fault codes. The window seals have not been replaced as they tested several other XFs and found that all exhibited the same problem so this noise was 'normal'. The noise occurs above 65mph.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I brought the rear screen issue up in another part of the forum a few weeks ago. it has taken 8 weeks for a new screen to arrive and it was fitted last week. i drove up the road 2 miles and rang the dealer to tell them that there was little improvement (another car was done the same time as mine so the dealer rang him as well and he said it was better but not perfect). the parts dept confirmed the replacement screen had been fitted ?????? and I was told it was probably the angle the rear screen was at was probably causing the issue !!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
presidentk said:
I was told it was probably the angle the rear screen was at was probably causing the issue !!!!! :roll:

That's what I thought all along. My March ...8 rear window looks fine to me and will staying on the car :!:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Can someone explain to me what this ''8'' glass rear window is please.
i do have some distortion in mine, but put it down to it being because of the heating element.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re:

sodgob said:
Can someone explain to me what this ''8'' glass rear window is please.
i do have some distortion in mine, but put it down to it being because of the heating element.
A batch of faulty rear windscreens were fitted around the March-April timeframe. If you examine your rear screen there is a number in the top-left corner (when viewing the screen from the outside). If the number ends in "8" or ".8" then the rear windscreen is part of the faulty batch.

When you look at your rear-view mirror you'll see that the view through your rear windscreen is very distorted. It's rippled and suffers heavily from refraction. This is due to the screen not being manufactured properly.

Jaguar dealers should replace faulty rear windscreens free of charge if yours if one of the faulty ones. I have found the difference to be very clear indeed. I know that angle of the rear windscreen is very shallow and this doesn't help clarity but the faulty batch of windscreens makes it look like you're looking through obscure glass. Personally I recommend getting it replaced BUT you may find that the replacement doesn't fit as well as the original so it is a risk.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry for the poor english !!! :shock: I will be taking the replacement screen up with jaguar as i also have a number of paint defects on the car being investigated as well. I seem to have grit or dust right under the paint maybe under the primer as the finish is perfect on top :| the dealer has agreed that it is a rejection issue and have approached Jaguar for a new car but Jag want to respray it !!!!! it would be 33% of my car sprayed to blend it to the original paintwork and i do not think that's acceptable :|

i did note from another section of the forum someone else had a paint issue and jag repaced the car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
presidentk said:
Sorry for the poor english !!! :shock: I will be taking the replacement screen up with jaguar as i also have a number of paint defects on the car being investigated as well. I seem to have grit or dust right under the paint maybe under the primer as the finish is perfect on top :| the dealer has agreed that it is a rejection issue and have approached Jaguar for a new car but Jag want to respray it !!!!! it would be 33% of my car sprayed to blend it to the original paintwork and i do not think that's acceptable :|

i did note from another section of the forum someone else had a paint issue and jag repaced the car.
The only reason I would let jaguar respray my car and that would be for financial gain, BMW tried it on with me many years ago with a 3 series I rejected the car and was amazed on how quick they got a replacement.

gary

·
Administrator
22,510 Posts
presidentk said:

Your English is first class. :)
I can understand your apprehension concerning a re-spray of a large part of your car but I think you should not be concerned. It is a fact that cars when built are rejected by quality control, pity is your car was not noticed, and then require remedial work which, when done is indistinguishable from an automatic spraying process. I talked to an independent body repairer and he told me that all manner of accidents beset new cars on the way to the customer after they leave the factory. Often the remedial body work which may involve replacing parts and re-spraying is carried out to such a standard that the customer never has reason to complain. There might well be a point when it is uneconomic to re-spray and that replacement is the solution which might explain the report you read of someone having their car replaced.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I here what you say pekem but what you do not kknow does not hurt you. my dealer had the car and it came back with a chip on the edge of the door. after much oohing and arring he agreed to fix it as a good will gesture !!!! :evil:

the repair was done very well and as you say you could no tell the diff. the marks on my car are:
1. the bonnet - this would require a total spray as a patch fix would stick put a mile
2. 4-5 marks on the rear pass "C" pillar and on the rear panel near the boot
3. one mark further up on the same section of panel just gy the top of the "B" pillar between doors.

the weather has not been great and to inspect for any more would be a pain at the moment.

when you add this to the flickering dispay on the instrument panel - my sunroof that squeeks- the rear screen issue- and this clunking (intermittant) on the front end- none of which have been fully sorted and by the way the dealer had the car for 2 weeks whilst i was on holiday at the end of June- you wonder why i am not that happy after spending 41K and was given a key ring as a freebe :roll:

as i have said in other parts of the forum we are the owners of a first run car and have to accept some issues but all i want is for Jaguar to realise this too and help us to get the problems sorted without having to keep on at them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts