XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i mentioned the bleeps on entry to the dealer today while they were investigating my steering wheel and this is what they techie said....

Have you read the manual?

erm..... FFS of course I havent read it to within an inch of its life, why?

techie - Talk me through what you do before you get out of the car

I was tempted at this point to say - scratch my balls and pick my arse but I took him through putting it into park, putting on the park brake and then switching it off

Techie - you are driving your car wrong sir

WTF?

Techie - if you do that as you get finish a journey the car will rest on its park brake if you dont put the ECB on quick enough. This will lead to the warning and to occasional slight thud into reverse when you restart as it is releasing from a position it shouldnt be in. This will be more prevalant if you park on anything other than a completely level ground

Well there you go, let that be a lesson to you all, park your car correctly!

·
Administrator
22,504 Posts
Well I am glad you stopped to listen because I get those beeps most mornings and yes, I have had the clunk as I put it into reverse.
Won't any longer ;)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Craig, I don't understand!

When I park I have my foot on the brake pedal, select 'P' on the gear selector (wait a very brief moment for the gearbox to sort itself out), I then very slightly release the brake pedal to allow the car to settle and then put the handbrake on.

I don't get the bleeps. What am I doing wrong? ;) :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
22,504 Posts
Roma said:
Craig, I don't understand!

When I park I have my foot on the brake pedal, select 'P' on the gear selector (wait a very brief moment for the gearbox to sort itself out), I then very slightly release the brake pedal to allow the car to settle and then put the handbrake on.

I don't get the bleeps. What am I doing wrong? ;) :mrgreen:
You are applying the EPB; try just leaving it in "P"

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It EPB doesnt come on automatically like in the S-type. So the correct way to shut your car down is as follows -

pull into parking space
with foot on brake put on EPB and the move the car into park
hold foot on brake for a couple of seconds as you press the off button

Apparently that is what the bleeps are trying to say you are not doing and unless you carry out the above the car may be resting on its park brake which when you restart causes the occasional jolt as you take it out of park and into reverse.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Mr Boeing mounted a basic check list on the pilots' control wheels. Perhaps Jaquar ought to fix a Parking Check List on the steering wheel!

·
Registered
2 Posts
An easier way. Put parking brake on, select neutral, release footbrake then select park.
Works for me ;)

·
Administrator
22,504 Posts
PaulXF said:
An easier way. Put parking brake on, select neutral, release footbrake then select park.
Works for me ;)
Welcome to the forum PaulXF :)
I am sure you are right. If I remember to apply the EPB, in any sequence after stopping, I do not get the beeps. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I never use the EPB. I have driven Mercs, BMW automatics for years and always just put the car in Park.

Am I doing something wrong with my XF? -I have never had any problems with 'bleeps'

PS can anyone save me trawking thru the Manual and explain how I get the interior lights to come on when I open the doors?

·
Administrator
22,504 Posts
scottie99 said:
I never use the EPB. I have driven Mercs, BMW automatics for years and always just put the car in Park.

Am I doing something wrong with my XF? -I have never had any problems with 'bleeps'

PS can anyone save me trawking thru the Manual and explain how I get the interior lights to come on when I open the doors?
I understood that it was advisable to always apply the EPB. Certainly, when parked on an incline it would be sensible because the weight of the car is relying only on the gearbox.
You wouldn't have relied on leaving a car in gear and failing to apply the handbrake a few years ago, certainly not on a hill; same thing really.
As for the interior light; if it is failing to come on when the door is opened I would suggest that you tap the lights to check that they are working. If they come on, you need only apply pressure for a second or two to turn them off. I am not aware of any other action you can take if they are not functioning, although like you I have not looked in the book :)

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scottie99 said:

in a word yes because if you are on any kind of incline then the car will be resting on the park brake that causes the problem and may well make itself known in a slight jolt when you take it out of park.

·
Registered
216 Posts
makes sense - you should always apply the handbrake/EPB before engaging park.

in the older S-types if you didn't, and parked the car on an incline so it rolled back slightly before getting the handbrake on, it could make it lock in park, and impossible to engage gear. i used to stick it in park first all the time, until the day i managed to get it stuck on my dad-in-laws drive, and the recovery lot couldn't sort it. we disengaged it by pushing the car from behind to release pressure on the parking 'pawl' after doing some internet research.

never heard of that happening with the newer gearboxes, and indeed with my current S-type if you put it in park before engaging the handbrake/EPB you get a series of bleeps to warn you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts