XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my new XF on Saturday, and was told that, given delays in delivery, I have two or three weeks to change my mind on the options that I want.

I have gone for the basic 2.7D as I was not convinced that the add-ons up to premium category would be worth it. The most expensive, like heated memory seats and memory mirrors, etc are part of my X5 spec and are never used, while I was quite impressed by the base model's sound system (I have opted for the I-Pod interface which does not seem part of the Luxury models add-ons) so did not bother looking at the upgrades. I actually prefer the look of the 17 inch wheels too and seemed fine on the version I took for a test drive!!

Does anybody who has already driven the basic/luxury think I have made the wrong decision? Alternatively, given my only options specified to date are on the paint, mats and I-Pod interface, is there something I will regret not specifying a few months down the line?

PS Delivery times now September (although you can get it mid August if not too bothered about getting a 58 plate).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Is it worth the extra? - Most certainly YES.
After a lot of heart searching I went for the Premium Luxury spec when I ordered my XF in September 07. When I saw my first Luxury XF in the dealer's showroom last week it confirmed I had made the right decision. I think the wow factor of the softgrain leather alone justifies the extra cost and 18" wheels are the minimum size aesthetically. Keyless entry, premium sound, memory/heated seats, burr walnut, wider tyres/wheels with space saver, premium sound and auto dipping mirrors are good value extras. Having seen it, I do not like the Luxury spec Satin American Walnut - it looks cheap. The portable audio interface is very good. I suggest you consider the Parking aid pack with rear camera as it is very hard to judge where the front is when parking and the rear view is restricted.
Whatever spec your choose you will love the car.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
I agree entirely with the comments of Vapourgrey. It is easy to dismiss the extras as of no real consequence when studying the brochure. Vapourgrey's example of the soft grain leather is one that I can easily understand. My wife thought that it would not be present in our Premium Luxury, it simply did not register with her. When we took delivery she was overjoyed when she saw it was present; just looking through the window!
I particularly appreciate the keyless entry, that is really cool. Also I have the camera and blind spot monotoring which is really excellent; it took a little while to trust it but now I really appreciate it. Blind spot monotoring was the one extra that I was ambivalent about but having now used it over 3000 miles I can say that I would not want to be without it.
My daughter, when told I had opted for the B&W system remarked "What a waste" In fact she was thinking that I would not appreciate the quality! Well I can tell you, as I told her after using it, that it is astonishing and that I do not think that I have wasted a penny on it.
One last thought would be to wonder what the residual value of the standard luxury will be in comparison. I can almost hear the salesman telling me that the luxury is difficult to shift "Everyone wants the Premium Luxury"
Of course some of these items can be specified on the Luxury but the one thing that can not be added is the kerbside wow factor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I've gone for the 2.7 lux rather than the premium as the extras I wanted were'nt on either such as sunblind, metallic, DAB and parking camera, but i would go for the burr walnut and 18" alloys as a min as it really looks the part with bigger alloys and nice wood, my main reason for going for the XF lux was i needed a tougher leather for the childrens seats /wear and tear and more importantly price comparison when I put the two next to each other (PS on a PCP the residuals are pretty simliar on the quotes i had in temrs of total ownership, but either way great cars)

·
Registered
374 Posts
^ Good point about the leather. It is a fair bit softer on the Premium Luxury so if you have kids who are growing up then it is likely to get knackered fairly quickly compared to the leather in the Luxury which seems to be far more durable (but not as soft).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Roma said:
^ Good point about the leather. It is a fair bit softer on the Premium Luxury so if you have kids who are growing up then it is likely to get knackered fairly quickly compared to the leather in the Luxury which seems to be far more durable (but not as soft).
Little people and leather don't mix - whatever the quality. (leather that is) :twisted:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have sat in both the Lux and P Lux and I liked both. I went for the Lux with
vapourgrey exterior and warm charcoal interior. The extras I really didnt need.
By the way I was told that my delivery might come forward one week, so it
might get delivered next week. :lol:

·
Registered
64 Posts
A worthwhile standard extra on the PL is the an automatic dimming rear view mirror. If I had decided to go with the lux I would certainly have ordered the mirror pack as an extra.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Iain
In the interest of balance, personally I couldn't justify the additional price for the PL, and I was able to spec some of the more desirable items (upgrade sounds, keyless etc)

Each to their own I guess, but I'm very happy with the premium spec, including the standard wheels :D Just need delivery now!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions: will maybe look again at some of the options. Need to keep the stronger leather as a minimum though, as I have two kids who are not the tidiest or calmest!!

Pekem, re residuals: What Car was quoting Lux as maintaining 56% of its value after 3 years/36k miles, compared with 54% for the Prem Lux. Obviously these values are not fully tested yet although when they are adopted by the major finance companies they tend to be a bit like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have also gone for the Lux as I couldnt justify the extra expense.
Saying that I then upgraded to the venus wheels, parking camera, winter comfort pack, mirror pack, Ipod interface and Xenons which came in at just under the standard Prem Lux so ended up spending more than I wanted to anyway!

What car price guide also has the Lux as the best buy for residuals, but only time will tell!

·
Registered
618 Posts
zx10ben said:
I have also gone for the Lux as I couldnt justify the extra expense.
Saying that I then upgraded to the venus wheels, parking camera, winter comfort pack, mirror pack, Ipod interface and Xenons which came in at just under the standard Prem Lux so ended up spending more than I wanted to anyway!

What car price guide also has the Lux as the best buy for residuals, but only time will tell!
Yes but dont forget residuals are based on base spec cars so if you have specced a Liux up to almost Prem Lux price a standard PL will be worth more in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Of course yes you're right there. Hopefully we will keep this longer than our other cars though, so I'm not overly bothered for myself, just going by what the mags are showing at present.

·
Registered
618 Posts
residuals are a load of rubbish anyway. You might get that IF you can sell it privately but over 50% retained at 3 year TRADE IN time, no way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts