XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my 3.00 XF for about 24 hours and I have covered about 150 glorious miles. It looks stunning, yes Ultimate Black really looks wonderful and oddly enough the car turns heads. I can't decide if it is simply the 09 plate, I will leave it there until September when I will replace it with my "Cherished" plate, or if it is the Black that does it. Either way, I have noticed quite a lot of people just walking in the street and they were plainly looking at the car as I passed them :)
More important, and probably only those that have driven both the 2.7 and the 3.00, mine is the Portfolio, will be able to say if a difference I think I have detected in both quietness and smoothness of the 3.00 when compared with the 2.7 is real or imagined. At one point today I commented that I would like to have the 2.7 back again for twenty minutes just to prove one way or the other if it is just my imagination :!:
It seems to me to be a good deal quieter and the engine is just so smooth.
Other main difference I have noticed is, what must be a change in the gearing on this car.
When engine breaking I have found that second gear can be engaged far sooner than was possible on the 2.7; again, is it my imagination :?:
Either way, whatever the changes, real or perceived, I just love this new car :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
How do you find the ride on 20s compared with your old XF?

Any noticeable difference of how the car is screwed together, does it feel more tighter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks great Pekem, i'm counting the days now....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Peter,

Looks very nice....whilst it's still clean.

Throughout the past weeks of rain etc. only had to clean wheels a couple of times (laborious) but bodywork still looks 'shiny'!

I have just started to explore performance in 'manual' mode etc. and it certainly 'goes'!

I'm still surprised at how 'undiesel-like' it is!

·
Registered
303 Posts
PEKEM, Looking good!
I especially like the chrome vents.

I've driven both 2.7 and 3.0 and it isn't your imagination.
The dealer said he couldn't tell the difference. I certainly could. The whole car seems more refined. The gearing on the 3.0 is spot on. It's difficult to tell (I can't tell at all) when the turbo's kick in.
It is a better car all round (doesn't mean the 2.7 is a duffer though)

·
Registered
102 Posts
thatchamcat said:
PEKEM, Looking good!
I especially like the chrome vents.

I've driven both 2.7 and 3.0 and it isn't your imagination.
The dealer said he couldn't tell the difference. I certainly could. The whole car seems more refined. The gearing on the 3.0 is spot on. It's difficult to tell (I can't tell at all) when the turbo's kick in.
It is a better car all round (doesn't mean the 2.7 is a duffer though)
I second that having gone from a 2.7 to a 3.0 the whole car is quieter and smoother and yes the gears do seem to change at different points which allows for better engine braking at lower speeds. Any dealer who can't tell the difference shouldn't be doing the job.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XFCAT said:
How do you find the ride on 20s compared with your old XF?

Any noticeable difference of how the car is screwed together, does it feel more tighter?
I honestly can't say that there is any noticeable difference with the exception, as I say above, I have a perception, seemingly shared by others, that the whole car is quieter, smoother and just a delight to drive.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Looks really cool Pekem. I do like the colour :cool: :cool: :cool: My 3.0 is definitely more refined than the 2.7 was and better screwed together in that all the door gaps are perfect and the centre console lids are lined up when closed. Regarding it being quieter, I wouldn't be surprised if some noise is absorbed by the suede cloth headlining in the Portfolio.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
penultimateblack said:
Looks really cool Pekem. I do like the colour :cool: :cool: :cool: My 3.0 is definitely more refined than the 2.7 was and better screwed together in that all the door gaps are perfect and the centre console lids are lined up when closed. Regarding it being quieter, I wouldn't be surprised if some noise is absorbed by the suede cloth headlining in the Portfolio.
Never mind looks cool; I am told by my 15 yr. old Grandson that it is "well cool" I should add that he went on to say that the interior should be Black as well :roll:
Interesting comment about the headlining John; you may be right.
I did wonder about the "acoustic" windscreen; is it to benefit the sound systems or, perhaps in addition, provide an additional sound insulator :?:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Peter, I am really disappointed on two counts

That you could not resist the temptation to stick with your 2.7 ! :mrgreen:

and

That you have joined the Ultimate Black club. Have you also acquired some personal bling to go with it?

Who is now going to keep the Botanical Green flag flying (you were the only person I was aware of that had one of these rare beasts). :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andrewll said:
Peter, I am really disappointed on two counts

That you could not resist the temptation to stick with your 2.7 ! :mrgreen:

and

That you have joined the Ultimate Black club. Have you also acquired some personal bling to go with it?

Who is now going to keep the Botanical Green flag flying (you were the only person I was aware of that had one of these rare beasts). :lol: :lol: :lol:
When the devil is behind the sales desk Andrew and also another in my passenger seat, how I could I resist
My wife keeps saying that she is amazed how quickly her allegiance to Botanical Green waned after taking delivery of that Black devil :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
OK, it does look fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as you clearly enjoyed the first one!

Wish I could get my passenger seat to persuade me to switch but I think she is looking for a replacement first !! :roll:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
andrewll said:
OK, it does look fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as you clearly enjoyed the first one!

Wish I could get my passenger seat to persuade me to switch but I think she is looking for a replacement first !! :roll:
A replacement car or partner! :shock: :D :D :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Pekem,

Good to see you have taken the advice of us in the UB club. I think the black colour absorbs noise better and the softer thicker paint coat promotes better air flow = better acceleration!!

What was the trade in like??

You have not mentioned what interior, I suspect you have selected the same colour scheme as me, Dove lovely...

I do wish the XF seats offered better lateral support, cornering can be fun (not really) sliding across the seat. If you build a car that handles this good it should have bucket style seat as per the XFR or the new Mercedes E class sport which are really good. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts