XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other Iphone users with an XF?

I'm pretty sure the Ipod function of the Iphone is supposed to work with the XF. Every time I plug it in I get the dock device message and on the iphone the accessory attached screen flashes on and off.

Now bear in mind I have access to 2 Iphones and neither dock which would seem to preclude it being a specific Iphone problem and an ipod nano that docks into the XF without a problem, which makes it seem as if the XF is OK. This issue also occurred when testing at the dealers in that the iphone would not work as an ipod.

So does the Iphone need a different cable / New software? Anyone successfully got an iphone working as an ipod in the XF?

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
XF Admin said:
Any other Iphone users with an XF?

I'm pretty sure the Ipod function of the Iphone is supposed to work with the XF. Every time I plug it in I get the dock device message and on the iphone the accessory attached screen flashes on and off.

Now bear in mind I have access to 2 Iphones and neither dock which would seem to preclude it being a specific Iphone problem and an ipod nano that docks into the XF without a problem, which makes it seem as if the XF is OK. This issue also occurred when testing at the dealers in that the iphone would not work as an ipod.

So does the Iphone need a different cable / New software? Anyone successfully got an iphone working as an ipod in the XF?
You will find the cable you need in the car. Look in all the compartments. There should be a dedicated cable which when attached to your iPhone will allow access to the iPod.
Mine works very well indeed. Keep in mind that the phone will not be usuable whilst the iPod is running.

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pekem - Do you mean a different cable to the standard Ipod one that comes with the car? Because obviously that's the one I've been using? i.e. Is it an Iphone cable rather than an Ipod cable?

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
No, sadly if you are using the cable supplied with the car I am unable to suggest a remedy. I can only say that if I connect my iphone using the cable provided I get a message on the screen of the iPhone telling me that it was not designed for the system but goes on to ask if I wish to engage Flight Mode to reduce possible interference. I say yes to that and within a few seconds music is heard from the iPhone through the Bowers and Wilkins speakers. At the end of the session a message is displayed reminding me to dismiss the Flight Mode.

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Pekem

My Iphone is not recognised even in flight mode......

I can just use an ipod but it's a pain when I'm used to just carrying the Iphone for music and as my phone (and keeping it charged up in the car).

Really strange why it won't work on 2 Iphones (mine and my wifes) but works in your car...

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
XF Admin said:
Thanks Pekem

My Iphone is not recognised even in flight mode......

I can just use an ipod but it's a pain when I'm used to just carrying the Iphone for music and as my phone (and keeping it charged up in the car).

Really strange why it won't work on 2 Iphones (mine and my wifes) but works in your car...
Which iPhone version is installed? Mine is 1.1.4

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.1.3.. hmmm and my wifes is 1.1.3. Maybe worth updating to see if that works. Cheers

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your a legend Pekem.

Upgrading the software to 1.1.4 and worked first time - great stuff thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
I thought 'flight mode' was to let you use your iPhone on an aircraft as an ipod but disabling the phone to prevent it affecting the aircraft's systems.

Does that mean that your iPhone's phone is disabled when in the XF? That you can't have both at once?

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
David said:
I thought 'flight mode' was to let you use your iPhone on an aircraft as an ipod but disabling the phone to prevent it affecting the aircraft's systems.

Does that mean that your iPhone's phone is disabled when in the XF? That you can't have both at once?
At present it is not possible to have the phone function enabled at the same time as the iPod. As for the Flight Mode; it appears to be a demand of the system when connected to the car. Ostensibly any possible interference is reduced but I did notice today that I placed my iPhone on to a Bose iPod speaker system in a John Lewis store, just to try it out, and again I got the familiar message that the iPhone was not designed to be used with the Bose and the suggestion that Flight Mode be employed. In fact it functioned very well indeed and the staff and store were treated to a rendition of Colonel Bogey!

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
XF Admin said:
Your a legend Pekem.

That will be a living one then :) Pleased it has resolved the problem.

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep working perfectly.

Also, strangely mine works as a phone and ipod at the same time without issue?

I just ignore the not compatible message when plugging it in and it syncs with bluetooth and makes and receives calls, and plays my ipod at the same time.

It even pauses the song during a call and resumes afterward.

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
XF Admin said:
Yep working perfectly.

I just ignore the not compatible message when plugging it in and it syncs with bluetooth and makes and receives calls, and plays my ipod at the same time.

Well that is very interesting and thank you for it. In truth, I have not tried to make a call or have I received one so there is every reason to think that it will be fine for me.
For some reason I did not dock the phone but I will try tomorrow.

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
XF Admin said:
Yep working perfectly.

You are quite right; it is dual function. I suspect that the problem is that, rather in the way a Ink Jet Machine will tell you that you are inserting an unaproved 3rd party ink, the iPhone when used as an Ipod and docking either with, as I did yesterday with the Bose Dock, or the XF system the warning message in displayed. In fact the suggestion to use Flight Mode in either device can be safely ignored. You are now the Legend :lol:

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pleasure Pekem.

Really pleased with the iphone integration - I'd recommend anyone looking for a new mp3 player think about an iphone - works great with the XF.

·
Administrator
22,509 Posts
XF Admin said:
Your a legend Pekem.

Just a word of warning to any scallwags out there like me that shunned the idea of paying through the nose with 02 and went down the unlocked iPhone route. Presently there is a trap on the iTunes site to get you, and get me it did. I was not paying enough attention three days ago and stupidly clicked yes to an offered latest iPhone upgrade to version 2, the one found in the latest 3g iPhone, and then suddenly, whack, I had been nicked by Apple telling me that I should go to the O2 shop and get their SIM card because my t-mobile aint going to work anymore.
:cry:
Three days later and after hours of research I have found a fix and I am up a running again :D :D

·
Administrator
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unlocked on Vodafone.

I take it you haven't bought the new 3g iphone yet? The sim unlock for that is not available yet so if anyone gets an iphone 3g and wants to use it with anotehr carrier apart from O2 then you will have a very expensive ipod touch until the sim unlock is available!

·
Registered
17 Posts
It has been reported the 3G iphone with be sold (officailly) through orange as well in October, so it at least gives an option to the present situation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts