XF Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll: the bing bong of not fitting the seat belt and the interior sound of the indicator light has stopped working / sounding.
now this might be something that i have done because i was going right through the manual and trying all the different menus and choices that the touch screen has to offer, and if you have done this you will know thats a lot.
but since this morning i am not getting these 'sounds' the indicators are working perfectly, just no sound. there may be other things connected to this but i havent found them yet.
does anybody have any ideas. its a pain going to the dealer.

·
Registered
618 Posts
This is a common and acknowledged fault as the waveform of one of the "sounds" is too high for the speaker to cope with if it is at the bottom of the tolerance allowed during manufacture. The fix requires the instrument panel to be removed and most of the time it also means that your odometer is reset back to zero!

Just to clarify although this is a common fault it is not a fault on all XF's as it only occurs on cars where the sound generator is at the lowest end of the tolerance.

The dealers know about it and will replace

·
Registered
618 Posts
The question you have to ask yourself is if you really need the loud tick tock of indicators and the really annoying tone when you are not wearing your seatbelt / have the door open ect. If the answer is no (which it would be for me) then dont bother.

·
Registered
5 Posts
craig said:
The question you have to ask yourself is if you really need the loud tick tock of indicators and the really annoying tone when you are not wearing your seatbelt / have the door open ect. If the answer is no (which it would be for me) then dont bother.
Hmmm... Yes, but what about other (important) sounds that it makes... and i wouldn't be suprised if when u come to sell it that it will need the instrumnet panel and this may be costly after waranty is up!!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I didnt mean leave it gone for good. It would be convenient maybe to book it in when you have your first service. There is talk that it may be a change item at that service anyway

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to go back to the dealer again, not my favourite place, whatever happened to customer service eh ! the dealer says that this is a known and recognised problem that occurs and knew the diaognosis immediattly without even looking at the car. It is a load of electronics bull going wrong somewhere in the car and the only remedy is for the car to go in for a couple of days and the whole of the instrument module, yes the whole thing, has to be replaced, can you believe that all for a naff sounding 'bing bong'. i said that i could not be bothered with this and that i had just lost the car for a whole week having the rear calipers changed and was told that this could lead to other electrical problems and that it should be done soon.
i havent decided what to do yet.
oh, i was also told that all current instrument readings in/on the car at the time of replacement would be saved and reintroduced into the new 'module' wop-de-do, if i could have lost my current 8000 miles it may have been a bonus eh ! :roll:

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Well I noticed yesterday that my indicator audio signal has stopped functioning; did not notice if the seat belt warning gong has stopped as well so I will need to check.
In view of the fact that it seems to be a longish job to undertake I think that I will have them tear the cars electronics apart a little more and discover the cause for the almost continuous problem of the DSC Not Available warning I get.
Hopefully, they will be able to kill two birds with one electronics package :?:

·
Registered
618 Posts
When i was in the dealer last week with a fuel flap issue i noted that the instrument cluster will be replaced as a matter of course when they see the car or service.

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Yes, my instrumental panel is being replaced this week as well as looking for a cause of the constant loss of DSC, or at least the display in the message centre that it is not available :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Has your car got voice control? I notice that the tick tock sound is muted when it is in listening mode so maybe that is the source of any fault

1 - 12 of 12 Posts