XF Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am very new to this, I have a 2011 xf 3d v6. ( apologies if this is in the wrong place )

Last Friday, I was out and notice a slight haze in the passenger side of the car didn't thing anything of it. However later that day I noticed what i can only describe as steam/smoke coming from the top end of the bonnet passenger side of the car.

When looking at the engine it seems to be coming from the back of the engine. it very intermittent and docent happen if you leave it running, only after a driving. I have had it looked at and one mechanic say is diesel and the other say its smoke.

Has anyone come across this , thank you all in advance

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Is the car leaving any kind of pool on the ground when parked?
Clarify what you mean when you say "only after driving". Does this mean it only does it when the car is moving, or do you mean it does it only after the engine is really hot, i.e. after taking the car for a run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dr Morbius there is no sign of anything on the ground, and you correct its when the engine is really hot. one mechanic says the steam/smoke has a diesel smell. and this is coming from the back of the engine passenger side. i have investigated and can see no leaks or pools of fluid. The car is running great, the only thing i can thing off is the fuel return system but i have no way of testing this !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just a thought...
Could it be a crack/break in the exhaust?
You might hear a different (louder) engine noise. I would imagine it might be running richer too, this could be the diesel smell

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whilst the steam/smoke may be coming from the back of the engine, passenger side, and because it's most noticable whilst moving, consider that the leak could be further forward, but is being blown backwards onto hot engine parts. Have another good look around.
Because this may possibly diesel, i'd go through any accessible fuel lines under the bonnet and check any joints for tightness.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could be a cracked exhaust, flex part infamous for this. There is a "fix" part available for this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts