XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flanker, anoher member on here had problems starting his car, also this invovled the gear selector not rising and the car could not be moved into Neutral, so it could be toed away to the dealership. (It had to be lifted onto a low loader as towing the car in reverse is not recommended see handbook and the big X not advising this.)
It was found that there is no easy way to select neutral. I consider this a design fault and there should be a method either electronic or mechanical to select neutral so the car can be moved without starting.
Another solution cheap and cheerful is call Jaguar assist and Insist on a low loader being sent to retrive the car if it cannot be started.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
There may be a reason to select neutral, outside of an emergency, but not one that I know.
In the event of an emergency or failure of the car to start, in the manner that Flankers detailed, I would, for any period that the car was under warranty, always contact Jaguar Assistance.
I do not know if it is indeed a "cheap and cheerful" service in Germany; I doubt it, but whatever the cost to Jaguar I would still use it.
It was plain from the report of the chaos surrounding the breakdown of Flankers car that he was attended by bunch of incompetents.
And it is to be hoped that Flankers did contact Jaguar in The US and make known his experience. Only by that method will the contractor improve their truly appalling service.
My own experience of Jaguar Assistance here in the UK has been exemplary and I am happy to believe that they would have the required knowledge to tow a vehicle away by whatever method is required.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jaguar Assist is not the issue here, the issue is how do XF owners select neutral if an emergency situation or the car will not start.
This is a major design issue, are the technical guys at Jaguar aware of this? and are they working on a solution?
I would like Jaguar to be aware of my (and XF owners) concerns as we could be come laughing stocks if this design issue were know, aka like square steering wheel on the Austin Allegro.
I will raise this issue with the local dealership here, I would suggest other forum members do the same with their dealership.

·
Registered
216 Posts
it's page 240 in the (UK) manual :)

tells you how to activate Emergency Park Release. just make sure you keep a flat-bladed screwdriver in the car :) .

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is no design flaw, don't get excited. It's a doddle to do (just need a screwdriver.....). As Bob says the manual tells you what to do.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Jaguar have met the needs of those that want to put the car in Neutral, for whatever reason :!:
Below are illustrations taken from the handbook which describes in detail an operation that took me less than 2 minutes to complete.
As I said before if I encounter an emergency I will use Jaguar Assistance at least for as long as it is under warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys :D .
That will keep us whinging Colonials and Johnny Foreigners quiet.
Rule No. 1 Endevour to RTFM. ( Read The Fantastic Manual).
Unless it is Haines Book of Lies :x

It is on page 246 of my manual directly below the big red X diagram. Should have read on a little more.

Wonder if Jaguar will do a limited edition set of XF Swiss Army knives to go with these mysterious XF pens. :lol:

·
Registered
140 Posts
With reference to access of the emergency park release for towing/recovery purposes,I thought I would run through the routine to see what was involved before I had to do it.The handbook shows the procedure on page 245 in my book and illustrates the use of a screwdriver!!.In my opinion a better way to avoid breakages,marks and scratches is to use a piece of webbing gradually worked in,slid underneath the cover and gently pulled up one end at a time (Picture 1)

After the first end is released the webbing can be easily slid to the other end and that too lifted.Once the cover is removed the slotted locking device can be seen (Picture 2)

The slotted locking device is then turned through 90 degrees anti-clockwise (Picture 3)

The bar is then lifted to the vertical by pulling the orange tab which lifts a cable.Once vertical it locks into place with a catch.(Picture 4)

This method ensures no breakages of plastic clips or unsightly burred edges by using a screwdriver on plastic.When the cars are a few years old the plastic will become brittle and breakages more likely.

Attachments

·
Registered
598 Posts
Selseymech, that is spot on. Many thanks to you for taking a time out to run through the process and informing us all of the results. Great pictures and looks simple enough. Now that you've posted it, I hope I never have to use it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
My pleasure Shepherdspie, I always attempt to do a trial run when conditions are good because when you need it it WILL be dark and it WILL be raining and you WILL NOT have the handbook with you! :!: :!: :!:
As an aside I did the Wooton Bassett ride on the Harley on Sunday for Afghan heroes, 15000 + bikes there and well received by all.Safe driving to you .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Definitely worth having a dry run with the emergency park release. I investigated and tried it out shortly after getting the XF. Recently I had the car recovered due to gear selector issues and the AA man that Jaguar Assist sent had never seen this release before. True to form as well it was pitch black at the time of recovery and I was in a remote car park. I'm certainly glad I had prepared for such an eventuality.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes definitely Graham2650 forewarned is forearmed so they say :lol:
I see you have on order a Claret replacement too, I will post pictures in a couple of weeks when I get mine :D

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Probably just as important as a dry run would be to print out the pictures etc that Selseymech has produced and keep them tucked away in the car. In the event that you need assistance the AA man or whoever, can be brought up to speed and you can be quickly recovered :)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Releasing the handbrake when battery is dead enabling towing or pushing away!!

I met my friend the taxi driver who had terrible tyre wear problems and now has a set of Goodyear tyres which have run 40000 kms already!!
To come to the dead battery dilemma. Nothing, but nothing will function including the handbrake release system so the car simply cannot be moved!!
There is a secret release system however which one has to discover either physically or, in my case, by word of mouth over a glass of wine.
Just in front of the central arm rest there is a metal panel going across in front of the armrest release and the storage panel which rises up lengthwise for bits and pieces. You press the storage panel release so that it opens up, you then press the arm rest panel and the slim metal panel is then exposed in its entirety. One then prises off this slim panel and there is a release cable for the handbrake which one can then pull and the brake is then released. In addition the gear change goes into 'N.' I cannot vouch for the actual function of this tool but my taxi driver friend told me that it will do the job in an emergency. I hope he's right!!!
In the interim I see that this thread is not new. Many thanks for Pekem in moving my contribution! The puzzling thing that I thought about last night was the fact that the battery can suddenly fail and in the case of my taxi friend after a few months, and literally overnight.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Many thanks, Jagular. Most enlightening and clear. I cannot seem to recollect this item being explained in my German handbook but will take another look.
Well, I did take a longer look at the handbook and there is nothing noted about this issue at all nor, to my consternation, is there anything mentioned in the latest English handbook version in the internet site of Jaguar Uk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
With reference to access of the emergency park release for towing/recovery purposes,I thought I would run through the routine to see what was involved before I had to do it.The handbook shows the procedure on page 245 in my book and illustrates the use of a screwdriver!!.In my opinion a better way to avoid breakages,marks and scratches is to use a piece of webbing gradually worked in,slid underneath the cover and gently pulled up one end at a time (Picture 1)

After the first end is released the webbing can be easily slid to the other end and that too lifted.Once the cover is removed the slotted locking device can be seen (Picture 2)

The slotted locking device is then turned through 90 degrees anti-clockwise (Picture 3)

The bar is then lifted to the vertical by pulling the orange tab which lifts a cable.Once vertical it locks into place with a catch.(Picture 4)

This method ensures no breakages of plastic clips or unsightly burred edges by using a screwdriver on plastic.When the cars are a few years old the plastic will become brittle and breakages more likely.
Hi Selseymech

Re your suggested method of accessing the EPR as I am unable to open your attached pictures if you still have them could these be posted again please. Intend to have a dummy run and your method seems preferable to using a screwdriver.

Many thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts