XF Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike most people on here, it seems, I won't be able to afford a nice new shiny XF, as I have set limit of £30,000 to spend (all of it hard saved cash after I've finished my mortgage).
I've never contemplated spending anywhere near that amount of money on a lump of metal before, but I have decided that after many years of kids, mortgages, weddings etc, I really deserve a treat !! :lol:
My dilemma is this - before stumblimg across the XF, I had convinced myself that I wanted an A4 S-Line, with a few toys, and I've specced one up at a discount (12% from my new son-in-law's mate who works for a local dealer) at just over £27,000, so I could add a few more toys if I wanted.
I am waiting for a 3.0D PL to come in at under the £30K, with the only must-have option (bearing in mind the already good spec) is the B & W.
So the big question - do I buy the NEW Audi, or the (probably) 18 month old XF with a few miles on it?

Is it that good a car to warrant a 2nd hand purchase (will I get an unbiased opinion?) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Probably not an unbiased opinion, but I think you would be sitting surveying the interior of your Audi with a tinge of regret that you hadn't gone with the XF in 6 months time.

Sounds to me like you prefer the XF as a car, and are only being swayed by the fact that the Audi would be brand new. Presumuably you intend to keep whichever car for some time - the Audi won't be brand new for long, but the XF will always be an XF.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed on the interior. The Audi whilst also very well screwed together, left me feeling rather "cold" when I tried it out. It was all functional and no real style or elegance to it in my opinion. Still nice, but not the sense of occasion that you feel with an xf interior.

If you have paid off your debts etc and now want to enjoy your savings and freeom, why not go for a car that will put a smile on your face when you get in, rather than one which is just a comfortable place to be during your journey.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you two have summed it up perfectly - yes I would keep it a long time
XF it is !! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
or a certain internet car broker (DTD) are currently offering a brand new 3.0D Lux at £29,787 - a brand new XF and within budget!!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Whatever you do make sure you get the 2010 model (post March 2009), it would be better to wait to get the 3.0D which has numerous enhancements over the 2.7D. You can get a new Portfolio for around 37k see http://www.broadspped.com so I suspect that you should be able to pick up a used XF Portfolio for around 33k if you haggle. Remember the cost of the car is not the actual price, only the depreciation and the cost of/loss of interest and if you are buying with cash then there is no real loss of interest with rates as they are and the underlying value will be at least £3k more so I would use that as an argument to persuade yourself to get a new one :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wilkin said:
or a certain internet car broker (DTD) are currently offering a brand new 3.0D Lux at £29,787 - a brand new XF and within budget!!!!!
Good price, but I want the PL + B&W - DTD comes out at a whisker under £34,500 - a saving of over £4,600 - I could be tempted, but SWMBO might have a coronary if I said I wanted to spend £35K :eek: on a car (to get from A to B!!)

Would I get that sort of discount from a dealer - has anyone got those sort of discounts from a dealer (13.5%)?

·
Registered
102 Posts
KaDargo said:
Wilkin said:
Good price, but I want the PL + B&W - DTD comes out at a whisker under £34,500 - a saving of over £4,600 - I could be tempted, but SWMBO might have a coronary if I said I wanted to spend £35K :eek: on a car (to get from A to B!!)

Would I get that sort of discount from a dealer - has anyone got those sort of discounts from a dealer (13.5%)?
I don't know about DTD but if you go through Broadspeed you will be going through a dealer (all Broadspeed do is get the best price from a dealer) and their price is similar to DTD (approx £34,500) for a new PL with B&W

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
KaDargo said:
Unlike most people on here, it seems, I won't be able to afford a nice new shiny XF, as I have set limit of £30,000 to spend (all of it hard saved cash after I've finished my mortgage).
I've never contemplated spending anywhere near that amount of money on a lump of metal before, but I have decided that after many years of kids, mortgages, weddings etc, I really deserve a treat !! :lol:
My dilemma is this - before stumblimg across the XF, I had convinced myself that I wanted an A4 S-Line, with a few toys, and I've specced one up at a discount (12% from my new son-in-law's mate who works for a local dealer) at just over £27,000, so I could add a few more toys if I wanted.
I am waiting for a 3.0D PL to come in at under the £30K, with the only must-have option (bearing in mind the already good spec) is the B & W.
So the big question - do I buy the NEW Audi, or the (probably) 18 month old XF with a few miles on it?

Is it that good a car to warrant a 2nd hand purchase (will I get an unbiased opinion?) :mrgreen:
KaDargo You might well be wrong in thinking that most people on here can afford a nice new shiny XF. :eek:
As another poster remarked the other day, often cars will be owned by firms and judging by the number of times mention has been made of PCP's (Personal Contract Purchase), it is plain that large sums of hard earned money may not been handed over as often as you might have imagined.
For what it is worth, my advice is to buy what your heart desires and enjoy it with your wife today. It might cost an extra £3/4000, so what.
You have paid the mortgage, educated the kids, paid for the weddings; soon it will be the Grandchildren tugging at both your heart and wallet. ;)
You can't see what events will impact on your life in the future but one thing I am very sure of is that you only have one life and you may be spending it a faster rate than your money. :cry:
Indulge yourself; buy the car of your dreams and be happy :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KaDargo You might well be wrong in thinking that most people on here can afford a nice new shiny XF. :eek:
As another poster remarked the other day, often cars will be owned by firms and judging by the number of times mention has been made of PCP's (Personal Contract Purchase), it is plain that large sums of hard earned money may not been handed over as often as you might have imagined.
For what it is worth, my advice is to buy what your heart desires and enjoy it with your wife today. It might cost an extra £3/4000, so what.
You have paid the mortgage, educated the kids, paid for the weddings; soon it will be the Grandchildren tugging at both your heart and wallet. ;)
You can't see what events will impact on your life in the future but one thing I am very sure of is that you only have one life and you may be spending it a faster rate than your money. :cry:
Indulge yourself; buy the car of your dreams and be happy :)[/quote]

Pekem - are you always that sensible ? :D

Nail on head really - a while ago we both decided that time waits for no man, and told our children that we are living in their inheritance, and are going to spend the cash - hell, if that runs out, then we'll flog the house, rent a flat, and spend some more ! (if that runs out, I'll park the XH next to the tent in a field !!!)

I don't have a problem with the thought of buying new, it's just that I've never spent so much before on a car, although it will be a keeper

·
Registered
204 Posts
From what I hear about Audi suspension (especially the S-Line), you might save a lot of money in osteopath's fees by buying the XF! Seriously though, I have found the ride unacceptable in a number of cars which the press call "slightly firm" (320d, C220CDI) so when they criticise the ride on the Audi I would be seriously worried. Needless to say the XF has no issues in this area!

I had a similar dilemma as I am effectively buying a class above what I have had previously (X-Type), but the nearest to the XF were the Passat CC and Skoda Superb (note the A4, C-Class or 3-Series are not on the list) in terms of refinement and combining an acceptable ride with good handling. So, given my previous good experience with Jaguars over the last 6 years/140,000 miles and the option to extend the warranty to 6 years/unlimited mileage (I do about 25k a year, mostly commuting), I bit the bullet.

I did hit the options list quite hard - mostly on things only I will know are fitted! The main one for me was the Xenons - I don't know what the standard XF lights are like, but the standard X-Type lights must have been supplied by Toc H so I was very glad I specified xenons in my last two cars. But I am expecting, like you, that the car will be a "keeper" so I don't want to compromise for the sake of a few hundred quid.

Mark

·
Administrator
22,502 Posts
KaDargo said:
Pekem - are you always that sensible ? :D

Nail on head really - a while ago we both decided that time waits for no man, and told our children that we are living in their inheritance, and are going to spend the cash - hell, if that runs out, then we'll flog the house, rent a flat, and spend some more ! (if that runs out, I'll park the XH next to the tent in a field !!!)

I don't have a problem with the thought of buying new, it's just that I've never spent so much before on a car, although it will be a keeper
That may be so KaDargo but consider this and see if it rings any bells :)
My first mortgage was £19.18 per month, with a similar amount to be paid in "Rates". Value of the house at that time, £2900 :lol: :lol: :lol:
For the benefit of those that did not have financial dealings before 15 February 1971, for £19.18 read £19.80p :)
I worried about paying that then, today my small Granddaughter could rustle it up from the pockets of two or three pairs of jeans.
In 1962 I sat in a Mark 2 Jaguar which had a price label, new, of less than £2000 and at that cost it was well out of my spending bracket :(
Do I need to go on :?:
Now you ask, "are you always that sensible" :?:
My reply to that is very simple; an Oncologist can cause a philosophy of life to be abandoned in a matter of moments and long term goals and ambitions may well be modified in an instant :)
If you and your wife want one of the most pleasurable experiences available today, go down to a dealer tomorrow and place an order for an XF PL. Before you go, just print out the offer prices of the online sellers and take it along with you; mostly they will be pleased to match it at least and if you pick the right dealer you will feel like a King with his Queen :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts
In answer to your New Audi or Used XF question; I have had both the A4 and the XF and can tell you, don't even think about the A4, you honestly will regret it! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts