XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Champagne interior and the very light coloured carpets; I think the combination lends an air of opulence to my Botanical Green XF.
However, the downside is that in no time at all the carpets begin to look grubby and it seems that it is difficult to avoid, short of covering the “protective carpets”.
I did see some aftermarket sets in Halfords at about £50 and probably would, on a silly impulse, buy them. They are not the solution because the real problem is that only the driver’s side is really dirty and I don’t want a set of 4 mats.
What to do then :?:
I explored the cupboard under the kitchen sink and found a bottle of Carpet and Upholstery Shampoo and thought I would have nothing to lose by trying it.
following the maker’s instruction I was amazed to see the dirt being lifted off on to an old tea towel. I allowed it to dry overnight and then vacuumed it this morning. Amazingly it is now clean and restored to almost new condition; the only real blemish being the area of compression where the heel of my shoe has lodged.
And the prize for this wonderful performance goes to ................Vanish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
pekem said:
I explored the cupboard under the kitchen sink and found a bottle of Carpet and Upholstery Shampoo and thought I would have nothing to lose by trying it.
following the maker’s instruction I was amazed to see the dirt being lifted off on to an old tea towel. I allowed it to dry overnight and then vacuumed it this morning.

How did you know where to look and can you give us some guidance on what a vacuum is and how to drive it please? :lol:

I have seen my wife put ice cubes on indentations in our carpet in the house, allow them to melt and amazingly it lifts the pile back to normal. Dont know if this works for car mats though. I do know where the ice is kept in our house though as I am a regular user for non carpet related matters.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
penultimateblack said:
Peter, you should have specified BLACK carpets. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I just knew it :!: I just knew you would be along with a smart a*** comment like that :lol:
Just to be clear, the Black XF V8S my neighbour has which I maintain looks like rubbish when dirty probably reflects his wealth and is not your colour choice of Xirallic® Ultimate Black ,which I am sure will look beautiful when clean.
In other words, he can afford to ignore its cosmetics and is probably happy to process through an automatic car wash on high days and holidays.
I could not. :cry: Indeed I have to resort to a cherished number plate, a mirror like shine and a plea to Jaguar not to discontinue Botanic Green or to substantially change the appearance of the XF in order for me to give the appearance to my neighbours that my car is as new and that I am "loaded" :lol: :lol:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
andrewll said:
pekem said:
I explored the cupboard under the kitchen sink and found a bottle of Carpet and Upholstery Shampoo and thought I would have nothing to lose by trying it.
following the maker’s instruction I was amazed to see the dirt being lifted off on to an old tea towel. I allowed it to dry overnight and then vacuumed it this morning.

How did you know where to look and can you give us some guidance on what a vacuum is and how to drive it please? :lol:


I have seen my wife put ice cubes on indentations in our carpet in the house, allow them to melt and amazingly it lifts the pile back to normal. Dont know if this works for car mats though. I do know where the ice is kept in our house though as I am a regular user for non carpet related matters.
I am a "New Man" it is just a skill you aquire :lol:

Thank you for sitting in your chair while your wife works around you allowing you to observe her undertaking, your perceived, wifely duties. I will try out the technique with ice cubes, thank her :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
There has been an interesting flurry of letters in The Telegraph recently, because, and I kid you not, many readers have written in to say that they have cleaned all sorts of things with... snow.

Rugs were one of the items. After putting the vacuum cleaner on them they then covered them in snow, which lifted the dirt and left them spotless.

Err... have you got any snow left? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
pekem said:
[Just to be clear, the Black XF V8S my neighbour has which I maintain looks like rubbish when dirty probably reflects his wealth ..........
Pekem, you keep mentioning this neighbour who has the Black XF V8S. I cant decide whether you are envious of the V8 or just upset that someone esle in your vicinity has had the temerity to take away the exclusivity of being the only XF owner in your area ??

By the way, the 'New Man' thing - tried it, didnt like it, so went back to being non PC !! Case of 'Old Dog, New Tricks' probably.

Anyway the wife sits and watches me clean the cars, cut the grass, do the decorating etc etc. so fair do's old chap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
pekem said:
I just knew it :!: I just knew you would be along with a smart a*** comment like that :lol:
Just to be clear, the Black XF V8S my neighbour has which I maintain looks like rubbish when dirty probably reflects his wealth and is not your colour choice of Xirallic® Ultimate Black ,which I am sure will look beautiful when clean.
In other words, he can afford to ignore its cosmetics and is probably happy to process through an automatic car wash on high days and holidays.
I could not. :cry: Indeed I have to resort to a cherished number plate, a mirror like shine and a plea to Jaguar not to discontinue Botanic Green or to substantially change the appearance of the XF in order for me to give the appearance to my neighbours that my car is as new and that I am "loaded" :lol: :lol:
As regards to the private plates, I bought a private plate too purely for the image which on reflection later made me look like a complete idiot. (With the exception of some clever plates that actually mean something, just purchasing one because I thought it would make me look cool definately backfired!) So I'm sticking with 09 plate with my XF. :) I actually think it's cooler. ;) Unless you can come up with something that really works... then I'd rather stick with the new style number.


I think the thing that really did it for me as regards for the private plate was when two runners ran up the road my house is on and I was in the front room with the windows open and from across the garden and down the drive way I heard a very rude remark about the plate on my Audi which was basically clarifying the fact that I was being a sad ****. :eek: But then I realised it was justified and I actually did look like what they called me. :(


And to avoid any conflict of opinions from the outset I would like to point out that I know some numbers do work but having one for the sake of it is rather sad. I know, I've done it... :) I really would like to have a number that actually means something but unfortuanately I have yet to find one. Resorting to just a random number at the start just so you can have your initials at the end isn't the most flattering sight on a lovely car. Or so I've been told. ;) ...... by my wife :p
Tommy :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xfphillips said:
As regards to the private plates, I bought a private plate too purely for the image which on reflection later made me look like a complete idiot. (With the exception of some clever plates that actually mean something, just purchasing one because I thought it would make me look cool definately backfired!) So I'm sticking with 09 plate with my XF. :) I actually think it's cooler. ;) Unless you can come up with something that really works... then I'd rather stick with the new style number.
I think the thing that really did it for me as regards for the private plate was when two runners ran up the road my house is on and I was in the front room with the windows open and from across the garden and down the drive way I heard a very rude remark about the plate on my Audi which was basically clarifying the fact that I was being a sad ****. :eek: But then I realised it was justified and I actually did look like what they called me. :(
And to avoid any conflict of opinions from the outset I would like to point out that I know some numbers do work but having one for the sake of it is rather sad. I know, I've done it... :) I really would like to have a number that actually means something but unfortuanately I have yet to find one. Resorting to just a random number at the start just so you can have your initials at the end isn't the most flattering sight on a lovely car. Or so I've been told. ;) ...... by my wife :p

Tommy :)
At one time cherished number plates had a specific meaning. These were the dateless plates issued by local authorities in the years up to and including the last year of issue in 1963 ( 1962 in London). Today because of the demand for private number plates and the obvious increasing scarcity of the dateless numbers, the marketers tend to sell them as simply personalised plates and employ some very odd stretches of imagination to do so.
My own plate was first issued by Kent County Council in 1960 and it does provide letters which are very personal to me and would not cause people to fall about laughing and so on when seen.
I agree that some personalised plates have a meaning, plain only to the owner, fortunately in my case they are seen for what they represent, my initials and nothing more. At the same time, because they are dateless, they serve the secondary purpose of concealing the date of registration of the XF. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
pekem said:
At the same time, because they are dateless, they serve the secondary purpose of concealing the date of registration of the XF.
I have to admit that was something that appealed to me with my A4. :oops:

I will admit that I wanted to look like I had lots of money. Lots... :oops: :p But the silly thing is it didn't make sense! A £499 number on a £27000 Audi A4 avant. You don't immediately think.. Hmmmm... That's Alan Sugar...
Tommy :)
(Oh and apoligies for getting off topic :) )
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andrewll said:
I have seen my wife put ice cubes on indentations in our carpet in the house, allow them to melt and amazingly it lifts the pile back to normal. Dont know if this works for car mats though. I do know where the ice is kept in our house though as I am a regular user for non carpet related matters.
My compliments to your wife andrewll :)
I did apply the ice cube trick, I also know instinctively where they are kept ;) and it does seem to work. The indentation is still present but there has been a recovery of some of the pile within it. Have to see if appears the same in a day or so. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,538 Posts
Are we talking about standard carpet mats or Premium Carpet Mats?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
22,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
penultimateblack said:
Are we talking about standard carpet mats or Premium Carpet Mats?
I don't recall paying for Premium carpets so they must be the cheapo's :lol:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top