XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have already got your XF, how practical is the car? A comparison with a 5-Series or Merc E-Class would be useful too.

In particular, has anyone had three adults in the back in comfort? What about luggage in the boot? Will it take a large suitcase and a few small bags?

What about cubby holes for odds and ends? Like the size and shape of the glove box, door bins, centre console storage, etc.

It's hard to gauge this sort of stuff from a test drive. It's only when you start living with the car that you work out how useful the space and storage is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Re: How practical is the XF?

i think it is practical. good sized boot. comfortable for transporting whole family and now availability of roof box and bike racks - what else do you need?

·
Registered
281 Posts

I've had 3 adults in the back and the space is very comparable to a 5 series.

The boot certainly isn't as big, but the XF has the folding split rear seats, which is a cost option on the BMW. The only slight gripe I have with the boot is the opening itself is a little tight. Golf clubs do fit nicely once they're in but I do have to put them in at an angle, which is ok providing there is not already something else at the back of the boot.

Internally I have no gripes about cubbies etc. Door pockets are more than adequate, there is good space under the armrest and the 3 cup holders knock spots off the horrible flimsy things in the Beemer.

All in all I think it's a great package and as TommyGunner put it, the car just ooks so gorgeous you can forgive it any little foibles :D

·
Registered
24 Posts

Can anyone tell me if the split fold seats are very practical? I haven't seen a good picture but I've heard they leave only a narrow gap when folded?

Are we talking skis or a mountain bike... or maybe just a large french stick?!! :|

·
Registered
306 Posts

I find them very good - not perfect because they don't go completely flat but you never know when you might just need it.

My S-Type was the same and I did use that many times with the back seats down.

It can only add to the versatility of the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts

My last two cars were E Class Mercs. The predecessor of the Current (and soon to be changed) model and the current model.
The latest E Class was a less edgy ride and certaintly was a smoother ride. It was an E200 Kompressor so was nowhere as fast as the XF2.7D. I guess the edgier ride is well compensated for by the extra power and fantastic roadholding.

Space wise the Merc felt roomier in the back. Boot wise the XF is deeper and overall seems to hold more luggage. The boot does dip down and get narower towards the rear seat so it may take a bit of juggling to get the most out of the space available.
With the seats down I can now fit in the Christmas Tree. Damn, I used to borrow the wife's Saab but now she knows!
XF more luxurious and lots of cubbyholes for storage although glove compartment in XF holds a lot less that the Merc.

I wouldnt change back though! Love the XF.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Recently drove to SW France from UK with over half of the family's luggage and the very large black Labrador on the folded back seats. He is very relaxed on long journeys and although his nose was a foot from my ear, I am pleased to say there were no licks. Total driven distance one way 610 miles. We both arrived fresh and ready for fun. Door to door twelve hours including one hour with my mother in Paris. Very practical for my needs and great fun. Extra Tax paid - Euro 45 to a snotty little Gendarme with a Mickey Mouse radar gun. (147 kmh in 130 kmh limit). C'est n'ais pas la vie, c'est l'XF effecte.

·
Administrator
22,452 Posts

Welcome to the forum Foxtrot :)
Pleased to read that you had a great journey through France.
Would be good to see a picture or two of your XF en route :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts

It's very practical for a saloon car. The boot is huge...so much so that our Mr Woof got a bit confused at one point and forgot that he travels in the car with us... :D

·
Registered
51 Posts

Obviously the Gendarmerie had not got a very big appetite for lunch.

Understand they (the Frogs) have some formula tied to how many kmh you are over the limit - you must have been supersonic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
XF Boot Space question?

Could anyone tell me if I'd be able to fit a case 36inch x 14inch x 20inch into an XF? I've been trying to find the load space dimetions without sucess.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,965 Posts
The load space is awkwardly shaped. However, it is certainly big enough to hold your intended case. The issue will be will it go in?. The load space is long front to back. The usual limitation is the boot lid opening. The effective opening size depends on the shape of your intended load. What you need is the dimension from the top of the rear bumper to the underside of the top of the opening. Bear in mind that this dimension has to allow your case to slide in at the angle dictated by its size and shape. The longer the item the less effective room there will be top to bottom, the limiting dimension in my experience.

As a last resort sometimes a load that won't go in from the back can be maneuvered in through a back door onto the rear setbacks folded down, then slid into the boot and the seatbacks returned to their full upright and locked position. Mind you, this rear door openings are also awkwardly shaped. I keep my SAAB for jobs like yours.

·
Banned
468 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Could anyone tell me if I'd be able to fit a case 36inch x 14inch x 20inch into an XF? I've been trying to find the load space dimetions without sucess.

Thanks

Just been out with a tape measure !!

Length of boot floor from rear edge to back of rear seats about half way up is 39"

Boot opening at it's narrowest point is 30"

Aperture height from top (near rear screen) to bottom (above rear bumper) is 19"

So I'd say yes, it would go in

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cheers Robin Hood,

Very kind of you to go to all that effort & thanks to the others for your commants

j0nest.

Just been out with a tape measure !!

Length of boot floor from rear edge to back of rear seats about half way up is 39"

Boot opening at it's narrowest point is 30"

Aperture height from top (near rear screen) to bottom (above rear bumper) is 19"

So I'd say yes, it would go in

R

·
0 Posts
Cheers Robin Hood,

Very kind of you to go to all that effort & thanks to the others for your commants

j0nest.

No problem, only took a couple of minutes and seemed the only way to come up with an actual answer :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All - Just for the record, said case (36inch x 14inch x 20inch) fitted (just) without having to resort to folding the back seats - There was'nt an inch to spair fore & aft mind!

Thanks again all.

j0nest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts