XF Forum banner

When and how do use the Satellite Navigation System?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much has been written about the Sat Nav in the past, mainly around its perceived shortcomings. It would be interesting to discover what use is made of the system. When is it used, how often and why :?:
Some people , and I am one, only use it for part of a journey. It appears that others use the system from the moment they leave home. Some may never have bothered with it.
How do you use it :?:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good idea Pekem but you havent included a categgory for me !!

My daily commute is 1.5 miles each way along country lanes so dont use it for that or if I am nipping to the shops.
I do use it every time i leave my local vicinity mostly to keep a check on the traffic situation rather for guidance.

Do I need another box :lol:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
andrewll said:
Good idea Pekem but you havent included a categgory for me !!

My daily commute is 1.5 miles each way along country lanes so dont use it for that or if I am nipping to the shops.
I do use it every time i leave my local vicinity mostly to keep a check on the traffic situation rather for guidance.

Do I need another box :lol:
I did consider your particular need AndrewII and then forgot all about it. :oops:
However, I have now acknowledged your situation and moved the lost souls out :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Would use it more, but can't trust where it will take me...first time used was to find a hotel using the post code...It directed me to an industrial estate about a mile away. I will wait and see if the upgrade works...Initial response looking favourable.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Liquidsilver said:
Would use it more, but can't trust where it will take me...first time used was to find a hotel using the post code...It directed me to an industrial estate about a mile away. I will wait and see if the upgrade works...Initial response looking favourable.
I travelled to Newcastle a few months ago, on the way to Inverness, and stopped overnight at a Travelodge. like you I used the hotel's postcode, as published on their web site, and I also finished up on an estate, athough mine was residential, some mile or so away from where I needed to be. I asked the receptionist if she was aware that the postcode was wrong on the web site and she replied "yes sorry about that; we have asked that it be corrected" You can imagine that my first instinct was to blame the Sat Nav :roll:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I look at a map before I travel, and then just drive there. Occasionally, I need to confiorm where I am to I can stick to my planned route, so use the display to assist. I almost never use the guidance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Like many others it seems, I simply don't trust the Jaguar system for anything to do with traffic conditions - it's just plain wrong too many times. I use satnav for long trips only and for the whole journey, even if I know where I'm going. I like having an ETA (usually right within a few minutes) and I like the countdown in the top right corner for distance to my motorway exit. Otherwise I use satnav, very infrequently, from short range to find a destination I haven't previously visited.

I was curious to see criticism of POI - which I've found to be superior to the equivalent in BMW's system. I can't say if it's completely up to date, but it's certainly more comprehensive, it has search by POI name (which works surprisingly well even for hotel names etc.) and includes far more destinations than the BMW satnav, which often let me down because the destination I wanted (hotel, golf course etc.) was missing from the BMW database.

The BMW system also loses out to Jaguar for not generally accepting post codes (I have an idea that the BMW system works in London only?) - brilliant on the Jaguar, especially if you remember that some businesses have post codes that relate to postal depots - not the firm's address - and take care accordingly. I rate the BMW system better only on the display style and, possibly, on ease of use. On ease of use, the Jaguar system seems complicated (not helped by disgracefully poor instructions in the manual) but then compared with BMW's system, Jaguar's has more features.

W

·
0 Posts
I might try again, but at first glance it seems too difficult to set up, and I am so used to my TomTom 950 with Live services to not use that. The traffic avoidance on that actually works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I tend to use it when I don't know where I'm going :D

As my job involves visiting clients local & national I find sat nav an invaluable help.

Although I'm sure there are features I haven't discovered yet I'm impressed with the Jag system. It's as up to date as my previous portable units and 99/100 times takes me to the desired location.

The graphics are OK, the backup display in front of you useful and the voice instructions generally spot on (although she pipes up when I'm listening to my fave R4 shows :x )

I don't use the TMC because, when you travel as much as I do, you realise that any system that diverts you from the most obvious alternatives based on data (right or wrong) is going to make your journey considerably longer in most cases.

Overall I think it's a good system but then I'm not that bothered how many D's the display has got :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tend to use it when I don't know where I am going and then only for the last few miles. I've turned off TMC mainly because it is usually better to stay on route and take the delay.

S

·
0 Posts
I tended to use the Satnav in my previous car all the time but the XF Satnaff is the most annoying thing I've come across in a long time.

The times I've used it, the routes calculated are not the shortest or quickest, so I tend to ignore the obvious mistakes and let it recalculate the route, but it does start squawking for a while that I need to take this that and the other road to get me back on to its route.

Things that wind me up -
1, multiple voices have been sampled so one voice will tell to "at the next roundabout" and then another will tell you to "take the first exit". The voices are similar but noticably different.
2, Its calculated that you are going to be using M1 from junction 10 to 29 for instance, as you pass every junction on the M1, it tells you to "bear right", why?. I only want to know when I need to turn off the motorway. If you're listening to the radio or some music, it cuts in so many times that it spoils your listening enjoyment.

The POI database appears to be pretty comprehensive though, I found a couple of hotels by name and their locations were spot on, although the routes to get there was wrong (it used the M3 & M27 when the A3 was by far the quickest and shortest).

The Satnaff really lets the car down and is years behind the 3 year old mid range Japanese car I just rid of. I'd be really interested to know if Jaguar are considering a way of upgrading the software/system that the XF uses with something that is more inline with the rest of the car ie "top quality".
:evil: <End of rant> :twisted:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Use it for most journeys other than local trips, it took time to understand its occasional eccentricities but overall I like it now it probably try’s to do too much but its better than my portable Garmin. Its not as good as the Beemer one though, this has Google maps functionality and also call centre functionality which means that BMW do the finding of your destination & location they send you your required destination directly to the car sat nav as does Google maps which you do can do yourself brilliant much better than programming the device via touch screen!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm very interesting, I get my XF tomorrow, until now I have been using a Garmin unit, it will interesting to see how the Jaguar one measures up. I mainly use it when driving in areas that I am not familiar with. Tomorrow will see me putting a good few miles in. So I can compare like for like.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Totally unreliable system in both my XFs so I continue to use my 3 year old Garmin Nuvi 660.After all the complaints via this forum since I joined in March 2008 it is about time JLR woke up( yes they do monitor this Forum) and accepted the fact that the Denso system has been left behind by most other systems offered by other Car manufacturers.

W

·
0 Posts
I have been running both the TomTom and the Jag ssytem in parallel for a few journeys now, and the Jag system doesn't suck too horribly, but the speed camera locations on the TomTom and it's superior traffic-jam avoidance mean I shall keep using it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm fortunate enough to live quite near places I visit frequently along roads I know well, which are never clogged. However, for visiting the rellys or other longer trips I use satnav, principally for traffic reports. These can be a bit unreliable, however! I also found heading north from Leicester the thing made a hash of finding the M1 so I just ignored it.

Went to visit Oxford for the first time and POI led us bang to 'Park & Ride' so full marks there.

Psych

·
Registered
306 Posts
Used mine on Sunday which was for the first time since it had the fix back in 2008, it now works and does not try to take me off the M4 at every junction.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I use mine most journeys, wether it is directing me or not. I use the split screen mode with North direction on the left screen zoomed out and direction of travel on the right screen zoomed in quite a bit. I can put my hand on heart and say that this system is better than my previous Audi. There are similarities like the turn by turn indication in the message centre which is very useful. Yes, there are some quirks and I have never trusted TMC impeccably (even the Audi got it horrendously wrong most times). The only time it goes off on a tangent is when local knowledge knows best. Even the wife's Nuvi 1490T (when I was following her) tried to take us on a magical mystery tour one journey, until I hammered past and put them right :D .

NB. I do miss the 'INFO' button on the Audi which would bring up a list of all traffic problems on your intended route in list format.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Its a love hate relationship :lol:
Love the idea it's built into the car rather than a separate unit like Tom Tom
Hate the fact at times it just seems to ingnore the obvious such as
Driving from Edinburgh to Sheffield - low fuel warning - regularly with 200 mile range
Driving North London to Sheffield - Starbucks at South Mims - then up the A1, took until Sandy before it accepted the A1 existed
Hate the fact that even though it is the latest map there are roads in Sheffield open for 2 years that don't exist!!

1 - 20 of 160 Posts