XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As this is my first Jaguar diesel I am unsure as to how much noise I should expect when the engine is under load ie. when accelerating. Mine (with only 1000 miles on the clock) makes quite a rattle when accelerating hard, particularly when cold. It;s absolutely fione when cruising or under gentle acceleration. My BMW diesel (3.0litre) is much quieter when accelerating but noisier at speed so I am not sure whether my Jaguar noise is normal or whether I have a problem that I should get the dealer to look at.

Also I have got a 'farting' noise from the rear when I apply the handbrake and select neutral ( say at traffic lights). Anyone else noticed this?

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
I don't find mine at all noisy, but of course this is very subjective.
Why not post the question as a new thread to Service, Ask an Expert?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was hoping to find out whather anyone else had similar issues before bothering Service.
The engine noise is like very loud tappett type noise (if anyone can remember what tappetts are !!!)

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
andrewll said:
Was hoping to find out whather anyone else had similar issues before bothering Service.
The engine noise is like very loud tappett type noise (if anyone can remember what tappetts are !!!)
Well I have to say that if you are hearing a noise which can be described as a tappet type noise my feeling is that you should take it in to a Jaguar dealer just to put your mind at rest. I am sure any dealer will be happy to investigate. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes you are probably right Peter. I was rather hoping someone would say it's normal and avoid me having to make the 60 mile round trip! I certainly dont remember the demonstrator making that noise on the test drive.

Guess I can get the farting handbrake looked at at the same time !!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think the farting handbrake is normal, all Jags have done this since they put the electric park brake onto S-Type in 2002 (although I think you still have to pull a lever on the X-Type). Hard to put into words what mine sounds like but I'm going to try, sort of goes, ggeeerwwaaa

·
Registered
374 Posts
Okay, here is my experience with the XF's diesel engine.

When cold, it's a bit noisy when started (from inside the cabin). It sounds like a typical diesel engine from outside the car. There is no mistaking it's a diesel engine! But from inside the car it's not too bad.

Under load the engine is fairly noisy with rattling tappet-like sound. Whilst cruising it is very, very quiet.

Once the engine has warmed up nicely it is much quieter. It a lot quieter from the outside and near-silent from within the cabin. Again, under load, the 'tappety' sound is definitely noticeable but a bit quieter than when the engine is cold. Whilst cruising it is near-silent and the noise from the drivers side window is more and tyre noise is more noticeable than the engine noise. I drove a BMW 520d a while back and the XF's engine is much quieter than that. But I suspect that the better BMW diesel engines would be on a par with it.

As a comparison and on balance, the XF 2.7D V6 engine was more refined than the courtesy petrol Volvo S40 that I had last week. I just find the tappety noise under load marks the engine down a bit.

[EDIT] As an update to my post, my car has been back to the dealer more times than I can remember and they have never found a problem with my engine so I am assuming it is okay and that the tappety noise under load is normal.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Roma, looks like it's normal then!

Your comments mirror my experience exactly but the 'tappetty' noise is annoying wehn otherwise the XF is virtually silent.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
andrewll said:
Thanks Roma, looks like it's normal then!

Your comments mirror my experience exactly but the 'tappetty' noise is annoying wehn otherwise the XF is virtually silent.
You only need to find out who is farting in the the back now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would like to extend the question to those who have the petrol engines. Mines the 4.2 V8, which has a very satisfing grumble when cruising at low speeds, but sometimes it actually comes across very loud. At higher (motorway) speeds it's actually very hard to hear the engine at all, except for when you choose to floor it. I do get a whine from the diff which is worst at 140Kph, but then goes away when accelerating further. Any comments from the petrol boys?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a follow-up to my previous post.

Earlier this week the 'blower' on my car was replaced. The engine is now very quiet from inside the cabin. All traces of the 'tappety' sound have gone, even on freezing cold starts! It still sounds a bit like a diesel if you stand outside, but it makes a glorious, low-frequency V6 rumbling noise from inside the cabin under load.

I am totally blown away at how refined the engine sounds now.

For those who are getting a rattling, tappety sound on a cold start and/or under load, you might have a faulty vent-system 'blower'. Get it replaced and enjoy the beautiful V6 diesel sound with none of that awful tappety noise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the update Roma. I didnt remember the demosntrator making the tappetty noise on the test drive. I will visit the dealer next week and get thier view.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same problem under acceleration. I am really glad that you have found the solution as my dealer has declared it normal.

Do you have a more exact name for the part they changed? I have sent your post to them, but I am anticipating some difficulty!

Richard

·
Registered
92 Posts
Right, really pleased that someone posted this - how brilliant is it to have a forum to talk about these things.
Had my 3.0d L for just under two weeks, and was wondering about the "tappetty" sound. That is also exactly how I would describe it. Under load there is a rattle that is quite tinny sounding and not like the rest of the engine noise at all. This is more pronounced when the engine is cold, but even after half an hour or so it is still there when I accelerate a little harder than normal.
So should I get on to the dealer and ask questions about this? Your thoughts appreciated.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Welcome to the forum Higgs :)
I am not sure that the comments you are responding to above are referring to a 3.00 car, more probably 2.7 and so the remedy may not be the same.
I would say to you, and Celt, pop your cars in to have them checked out. If you can get a drive in another car to compare, so much the better :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I will certainly do that. It is just a slight accoustic fly-in-the-ointment when you put your foot down. I don't remember the 3.0d S demonstrator doing it either. I'll post what my dealer says.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The posts of Celt & Roma probably explain the rattling sound I also experience in my car.
Will make dealer check on my first service.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I understand the issue here - a sound not unlike old-fashioned "pinking" under acceleration with the 3.0 litre diesel. I read somewhere (but have lost the reference) that the latest engines' piezoelectric injectors (the ones that make our enignes so damn good) do make "a distinct click" when working. I think thats what you can hear. Remember, these things are punching a gobbet of fuel directly into the cylinders on compression, so they may well make a bit of a sound doing it....

Any experts available to confirm this?

Pete

·
Registered
167 Posts
Seems owners of the new Mercedes E350 cdi coupe are having similar issues over on one of the MB forums. Two separates responses to the same issue:

a comment on the "pinking"...
I have had my 350cdi coupe now for six months and the "pinking noise was there under acceleration but I noticed that it seemed to be fuel related.
ordinary diesel it was sometimes bad (Esso & Tesco) less so on BP or Jet and much less on BP Ultimate.
However since using BP ordinary with Millers Diesal Power Ecomax added, the "pinking" noise has completely disappeared. It took a couple of tanks to take effect but no noise !

Same here, only had a problem with the supermarket fuel. Been using BP Ultimate since and car is so smooth that it's difficult to tell that I'm driving a diesel. Love the extra torque you get with the engine

I test drove a E350CDI and XF3.0D over a number days each and recall pinking on the XF and none on the Mercedes. Perhaps they were on different grades/sources of fuel.

G

·
0 Posts
Roma said:
I have a follow-up to my previous post.

For those who are getting a rattling, tappety sound on a cold start and/or under load, you might have a faulty vent-system 'blower'. Get it replaced and enjoy the beautiful V6 diesel sound with none of that awful tappety noise.
Has anyone got any ideas as to what a Vent-system 'blower' might be? I'm intrigued :geek:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts