XF Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I want to know if SV8 Xf is fast ?

i ve heard vew people saying that BMW 550 and E500 is faster than the SV8 although it got more HP !!!!!

Any idea !!! :cry:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Surely there's loads of published information about this?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is the SV8 fast? well it depends on what you mean by fast. All out BHP and quoted manufacturer time to 60 is a load of rubbish and doesnt tell you whether a car is fast. Power and torque are nothing without two things.....

Traction

and

A skilled driver

A driver with true skill could probably outrun an SV8 on twisty roads with the Diesel version. Look at the experiment that top gear did the other year where Jeremy did a lap of the 'ring in a diesel S-type to be almost embarrased by Sabine Schmitz doing the same lap in a diesel transit.

Sad thing is that most drivers are not skilled and therefore the extra oomph the SV8 and forthcoming R have over the standard models is wasted and reduced to willy waving talks down the pub about BHP

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well done Craig - really sensible words.

·
Registered
374 Posts
craig said:
Sad thing is that most drivers are not skilled and therefore the extra oomph the SV8 and forthcoming R have over the standard models is wasted and reduced to willy waving talks down the pub about BHP
Or willy-waving on one or two car forums. ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone read Autocar week before last about best real world driver's cars? The XF SV8 did fantastically well, slowest on track but very nearly won the test because of it's real world abilities. Lost out to a Caterham R500...

Having driven both I'd say the SV8 is quite different in character to the diesel and really is a lot more rapid, both in the bends and by virtue of more power. There's a bit more to it than just willy waving IMO.

·
Registered
618 Posts
d4ve said:
Having driven both I'd say the SV8 is quite different in character to the diesel and really is a lot more rapid, both in the bends and by virtue of more power. There's a bit more to it than just willy waving IMO.
I have also driven both as I orginally ordered an SV8 but then decided to move further away from work so swapped for the diesel. They do have a different character but thats not the point here. The point here really is how quick it is and I was saying that if you put an average driver in the SV8 and a brilliant driver in the diesel you would get a good run for your money.

Unfortunately being able to afford the SV8 or any other fast car doesnt mean you have the skill to use it effectively and thats exactly why so many Ferraris ect get written off on track days or fast motorbikes get overtaken by a van at the 'ring :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts