XF Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I tried this this today and got a surprise.................................................................

My car has key-less entry and starting which i think is pretty neat and i go used to very quickly after collecting my XF.

The thing is--i got out of my car while it was running today and took my jacket off (keys in pocket) and my colleague took my jacket into the office.

I got back in the car and drove off--without any keys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair the warning sign in the dash board did say that the smart key was not present but i drove about 400 yards all the time expecting the car to cut out but it didn't.

How far would i have got ?? has any one got an answer???

Regards

Reecy

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is a discussion we were having at home the other day... will be interested to read/find the answer. Also, if you are nearby and have the keyless entry, can someone get in the car and make off with it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi XF FX
you have to be very close to the handles to allow the car to open and the key has to be inside of the vehicle to allow it to start.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your posts guys,

I won't be leaving the car running again now that i know that the car could be driven away-keys or no keys!

Regards

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
If the car is started & the key removed does anyone know how far it will go?

·
Registered
294 Posts
So do I - maybe its a very subtle seasonal pekem jesy?

·
Registered
29 Posts
It'll go as far as you take it but the next time you turn it off you won't be able to restart without the key in the vicinity.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This has got me thinking... I have the car set to lock once on the move. But if the key is in the car (which it would be) - does that mean if someone grabs a handle from the outside it will unlock? I know that doesn't happen when a passenger tries to get in and I've forgotten to unlock it as I pull up (eg collecting them at the station) - but would it also apply if someone tried to open the driver's door? Or is the system sufficiently clever (I do like the feature that prevents you locking the keys in the boot)? I guess I need to get someone to try it.

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
Ergonomist said:
This has got me thinking... I have the car set to lock once on the move. But if the key is in the car (which it would be) - does that mean if someone grabs a handle from the outside it will unlock? I know that doesn't happen when a passenger tries to get in and I've forgotten to unlock it as I pull up (eg collecting them at the station) - but would it also apply if someone tried to open the driver's door? Or is the system sufficiently clever (I do like the feature that prevents you locking the keys in the boot)? I guess I need to get someone to try it.
It will not unlock from the outside once locked; it requires that the door lock lever is pulled to the point of first resistance :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
I always thought the car would cut out after 30 secs or so., obviously not.

S

·
0 Posts
I guess the reason it doesn't cut out is in the unlikely case where the fob battery runs flat while hammering it down the outside lane. I have noticed that my iPhone blocks the signal if I have both the phone and keyfob in the same pocket, if this happened on the move, the last thing I want to happen is for the engine to cutout.

Moral of story, if you get out of the car with the engine running, then lock it or lose it!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeap the XJ isn't any better, and although you have a little key fob recess to put your wireless keys in the XF, the XJ Key Fob is even bigger and heavier in size and doesn't have the ability to slot it into anything so you end up with it put in the door pocket or in the central console, maybe all XJ drivers have poor vision and problems with their hand joints so it would be easier for them to just put it down, only problem with that is that I keep forgetting where I put it last, Oh and another thing is that it only has one entry point into the car when your battery dies, that's through the passenger door with the emergency key, as it doesn't have a secret key opener on the boot to gain access to the battery :eek: , So the first time I have a flat battery after I return from abroad, could be a problem, :oops: fitted a Tracker just to add to the drain on the over worked battery so will keep you posted when I return home... ;)

Oh and I wasn't very pleased with the Tracker man who informed me that all Jaguar cars these days were nothing but problems due to their on board computers( XF, XK), and he said" the XJ was worse than all the rest" :evil: needless to say he didn't get a cup of tea, coffee or a tip after that remark and I just watched him freezing in the snow and ice from inside my nice warm living room and smiled.

But back to the topic in hand, it is mentioned in the XJ handbook that if you start the car and you have exited the vehicle and returned without the key but left the engine running the engine will run and all the functions of the vehicle will work until you stop the car and shut the vehicle down, but I would have thought that the noise from the on board messaging system and chime would drive anyone crazy with a flashing warning that the key fob isn't present.... :roll:

·
Administrator
22,498 Posts
RodM said:
Yeap the XJ isn't any better, and although you have a little key fob recess to put your wireless keys in the XF, the XJ Key Fob is even bigger and heavier in size and doesn't have the ability to slot it into anything so you end up with it in the door pocket or in the central console
RodM my,and no doubt 1723 other members hearts bleed for you [headline=6:1mt6gik0]think there should be an apostrophe there somewhere :lol:[/headline:1mt6gik0]
Thank you for that clarification in relation to your no doubt beautiful, which we still await pictures of, XJ :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
lol
Well sadly that'll be mid February then cos I'm back to work at the moment :( , and the only pictures I have were taken in the showroom just before I collected the car, sadly only driven it three times since I bought it and only done 400miles in it due to the Snow/Ice and summer tyres :evil: ...
So something to look forward to when I get back in the spring... needless to say her in doors isnt on the insurance so she isnt driving it... :cool:
Yes it's cold out here too got up this morning and nearly put a Jersey on Temperature was 22degrees here yesterday and very sunny..... :)

Oh and a merry Xmas to everyone on the XFFORUM.CO.UK.... it's just a working day here for me, poor underpaid self employed contractor ;)

Sorry about the poor quality pictures but will give you better ones in Feb 2011 :oops:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts