XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waiting for my wife earlier today and was thinking about bits and pieces on the car and when I should expect them to fail, well I am a pessimist ;)
I wondered about the little things like control knobs and electric locks etc. But as I thought about these things I was opening and closing the storage compartment door and then I wondered if that mechanism was robust or likely to fail in the years to come.
That was the start of it because I could not see how it works, what actually happens when the door is closed :?: Looking closer at the release button I realised I could not see any mechanism at all. Was it a magnet that is holding it down, couldn't see a catch anywhere :?
So the question remains, How do they do that :?:

·
Registered
216 Posts
hmmmm...... i've never actually pondered how the thing works. but when i first got my car that very cupholder cover was a tad temperamental, and wouldn't always close when asked too without mild fiddling with the button to make it properly disengage. it's behaving itself now for some reason :?:

funnily enough my first ever V-reg S-type had a similarly temperamental cupholder cover :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got to be magnetic I would have thought. Unless it is magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
XF Long Wait said:
Got to be magnetic I would have thought. Unless it is magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is damped by a small inertia reference unit with proximity sensors and two built in memories - open and shut.
Failure rates are very low as long as the compartment is not stuffed with plastic cards and grey spectacle cases :geek: :geek: :geek:

·
Registered
618 Posts
has anyone taken the cupholders out that gives you a better view of the lid? I reckon it has a clip like the front holder but its hidden on the back of the flap rather than the front so it isnt seen.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
craig said:
has anyone taken the cupholders out that gives you a better view of the lid? I reckon it has a clip like the front holder but its hidden on the back of the flap rather than the front so it isnt seen.
Craig, Are we talking about the same thing :?:
I took my plastic cup holders out of the car in both front locations, I am sorry they spoiled the rear armrest with the others, shortly after delivery.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Spring loaded ratchet release mechanism built into one or both of the side pivot hinges.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JTAdams said:
Spring loaded ratchet release mechanism built into one or both of the side pivot hinges.
Thank you JTAdams I was confident that eventually an explanation would be provided :)

·
Registered
25 Posts

I had to romove mine the other day and will vouch for the fact they are spring loaded! Not easy to put back together. I was fitting an Iphone holder I had made.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is interesting to see your iPhone holder, which appears to be fairly sophisticated. Is it sitting on a charger :?:
I am sure you will have a reason, apart from charging the phone, why you need it to be where it is but it escapes me.
Mine is in my pocket always and I have not needed to see it for either the phone or iPod :?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am sure you will have a reason, apart from charging the phone, why you need it to be where it is but it escapes me.
What odd thing to post.
Its a holder/charger and reason I have it is to hold and charge the phone while I'm driving.

·
Administrator
22,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
starline250 said:
What odd thing to post.
Its a holder/charger and reason I have it is to hold and charge the phone while I'm driving.
Not odd at all, I can use the charger / iPhone cable in the other compartment and wrongly assumed that you had the same arrangement. :oops:
Often clues are available if members complete the signature section in the Profile at:
ucp.php

1 - 13 of 13 Posts