XF Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometime over the past few days, a scratch/score mark has appeared on the very bottom on the rear, near side bumper just after the wheel ( I can only assume it's been caused by a rock being spat back- but did think that some clown caught me on the M1 the other morning....will never really know).
question: has anyone used the likes of chips away for such things and, if so, was it a positive experience?

·
Administrator
22,471 Posts
sometime over the past few days, a scratch/score mark has appeared on the very bottom on the rear, near side bumper just after the wheel ( I can only assume it's been caused by a rock being spat back- but did think that some clown caught me on the M1 the other morning....will never really know).
question: has anyone used the likes of chips away for such things and, if so, was it a positive experience?
Try searching YouTube for the videos showing WD40 being used as a scratch remover. Unlikely I know but all I can say is watch the videos !

·
Registered
219 Posts
Personally I would stay well clear Dave. I had a bad experience a few years back and vowed never to use them again. My dad also tried them after a scratch suddenly appeared to his drivers door whilst parked at Sainsbury.

His door is now a different shade from the front wing and rear door, it looks horrendous. With dad being elederly he isn't to bothered, me on the other hand, I would of gone to 30,000 ft faster than Tim Peak. Next time I visit him I'll take a photo and show you how bad it is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try searching YouTube for the videos showing WD40 being used as a scratch remover. Unlikely I know but all I can say is watch the videos !
This is more like a gouge than a scratch, TBH

I might just fill it with wax and see how it goes.

just piddled off that I didn't buy and fit the mud flaps last weekend...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally I would stay well clear Dave. I had a bad experience a few years back and vowed never to use them again. My dad also tried them after a scratch suddenly appeared to his drivers door whilst parked at Sainsbury.

His door is now a different shade from the front wing and rear door, it looks horrendous. With dad being elederly he isn't to bothered, me on the other hand, I would of gone to 30,000 ft faster than Tim Peak. Next time I visit him I'll take a photo and show you how bad it is.

Fair dos and thank you
as you can see above, it's sod all just an annoyance.

Time and again I've chosen black cars forget what a nightmare they can be.
Ive just polished the bonnet and it looks a treat BUT it's not really been well looked after before I bought it.... Wrapping is back on the table.....and the alloys being sorted ASAP.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A good independent body shop could be the safe bet! Members local to you may have suggestions.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good independent body shop could be the safe bet! Members local to you may have suggestions.
Fair comment!
I just like the idea of it being done at mine, with little in the way of inconvenience.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have had paintwork done on my last Sportbrake in IRR and the mobile people did an excellent job.Had a small scratch dealt with on my Frost Blue XK again with faultless results.. Quality is down to the individual and the conditions on the day.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had paintwork done on my last Sportbrake in IRR and the mobile people did an excellent job.Had a small scratch dealt with on my Frost Blue XK again with faultless results.. Quality is down to the individual and the conditions on the day.
Many Thanks!
it is pot luck, I suppose.
anyway, I've emailed both mobile and local body shops and will see just who bothers to come back to me for a piddling little job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I belong to many forums, all car related and for everyone that slates companies like Chips away, Dent Devils and the like, there are as many if not more who have had good experiences and very happy with the outcome and cost.

I think it is a luck of the draw but if you are not happy you dont pay.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I belong to many forums, all car related and for everyone that slates companies like Chips away, Dent Devils and the like, there are as many if not more who have had good experiences and very happy with the outcome and cost.

I think it is a luck of the draw but if you are not happy you dont pay.
Many Thanks!
so far, I've only had an auto response from a mobile outfit and a formal response from an auto body shop.
perhaps, such a small job isn't worth their time- or they are simply all too busy to respond with a quote to date.

I hope it's the latter, as my alloys want a coat of looking at but I reckon that a highly recommended place in Manchester will land this nice job.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Would that not buff out with a machine polish at a detailer or is it too heavy.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would that not buff out with a machine polish at a detailer or is it too heavy.
It is a little deep for polishing out, though I did consider a spot of DIY.

anyhow, I visited my dealership today and it's being fixed for £90.00 ( I have been quoted £120).
whilst it's being fettled, I'm having a rear folding seat solution installed for a few hundred ( sure it'd be cheaper if I searched for it online) and whilst this is being done I'll be able to try out the new XF for a day.

it was my first visit back to the dealership since I bought it in March and it was very nice to be recognised...coffee and a nice chat with the sales manager, they also reconfirmed that I can have my FOC Goodyears whenever I'm ready.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like a good result all round. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts