XF Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last - the first chance for some REALLY extended days with Felicity, and I was really interested in what the experience would be like.

The basic stats, with only one piece of single carriageway of any significant length between Newport Pagnell and Carcassonne -

Outward via Tunnel and (French) A20 - 878 miles/60 mph/38 mpg

Back via A75 and Tunnel - 918 miles/64 mph/38.1 mpg

and the best bits?

- setting the speed control around 90 and gliding effortlessly along those wonderful autoroutes, with their quiet surfaces and generally splendid lane discipline, with bags more to spare under the right foot when needed.

- finding that it was like it was fifteen months ago in the UK; no-one, but no-one, had seen an XF before. Loads of thumbs up, shaking of loose-fingered hands as if burnt and, on one occasion, actual applause. Wonderful. Mrs Steamdreamer was amazed.

- the truly sensational Millau Viaduct coming North. Must be seen to be be believed. British designed too.

- realising what a good decision it had been to get one of those thingies that gets you nonstop through the Telepeage lane at the tolls, glancing patronizingly at the long slow queues of the less privileged with their cash and credit cards.

- finally, a stroke of genius from Mrs S, who found in the market at Mirepoix a large shopping bag proudly proclaiming 'Je fais mon cours en jaguar', ('I do my shopping by jaguar'), and although the picture showed a cheerful monkey and a four footed rather than four wheeled big cat, I bet its the only one in Northamptonshire for all that.

Wish I hadn't scraped it in the underground carpark in Toulouse, mind you, but that'll soon be mended. Boy, I love this car!

·
Administrator
22,497 Posts
Great story Steamdreamer :)
Good to read that your affair with Felicity is as strong today as it was when you first met :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Out of interest, what is the spec of your car?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Long Wait.

I used to have that on, and didn't realise that it had disappeared! Anyway - 2.7 PL, Ebony/Dove Grey/Dark Oak/Mudflaps/DAB/Blind Spot Monitor/Bi Xenons/Superguard

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...and rear parking aid.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think one is metallic

·
Registered
66 Posts
xfphillips said:
^ Are colours Ebony and Midnight the same?
At the moment you either get Ebony (non metallic) or Ultimate Black (metallic) you can't get Midnight - so I guess this was replaced by Ebony at some point.

I am not sure whether or not Ebony & Midnight were the same colour and just a different name.

Anyway Ultimate Black is the best colour - so it doesn't matter :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm getting into an awful habit of posting non-sequitur questions in other member's threads. Steamdreamer, I do apoligise! :oops:

I'm going to Northumberland for the long weekend, I'll hopefully get some nice shots of the car with a nice backdrop. :)

Steamdreamer, do you have any pictures from france?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries Xfp!

I presume you don't want to see my holiday snaps? Elegant though many of them are (I love my new camera too!), none of them includes Felicity. Sorry.

I'm just having a little sit down to recover from the shock of hearing that what I thought was fairly minor damage to the offside rear quarter (incurred in an underground car park in Toulouse) actually needs a whole panel, with no doubt disastrous effects on my insurance renewal premium next month. Still, any excuse for alcohol will do.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just a guess, but the damage inflicted wasn't caused by one of those tight exit ramps was it? If it was, you're not the only one! :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts