XF Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking (with intent) for a while now and thought it was about time I registered and actually started posting.

Unfortunately I'm not an XF owner, yet, but have been lucky enough to have driven the new cars at Gayden earlier this year, the 4.2 SV8 and today finally the 3.0D S. I've been in contact with the dealer near me since the XF was announced and have been waiting until I finally got a date for my company car to go back and for me to be able to take the allowance and buy something better than the 407 I'm currently being subjected to.

Today I was invited by Jaguar to drive the 3.0D S Portfolio on an unaccompanied drive, so took the Mrs and 2 kids along. A very nice chap from Jaguar kindly help switch the children's seats into the XF and we trundled off into the wilds of Northamptonshire following the pre-programmed Sat-Nav route. My wife had always liked the exterior but had not been inside one or out on the road in one and was immediately impressed with the quality of the build, the space and general car itself.

She became more impressed when I booted it as I hit a national speed limit sign where the car piled on speed at a very serious rate. I've previously test driven the 535D and 335D and this felt very similar to them performance wise. We drove the the route, which was something around 15 miles and tried the B&W stereo with a cd I'd bought along and was suitably impressed.

By the time we finished the route we'd decided that the other cars were just not what we wanted (we'd already discounted the 5 series as the seating position meant I couldn't see over my right shoulder due to the door pillar). So now we have to wait until August/September to actually buy the car.

I'd guess unless something happens with the Jag finance we'll be buying used and the only decision will be 3.0D, 3.0D S or the 4.2 SV8 (as the price on these is nose diving) Spec wise it'll be at least a PL and have the B&W and Xenons. We'll just see whats about at the time.

Just seems at the moment August is such a long way off.

Steve

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Hello Steve, Jinxy :)
Welcome to the forum. It is good that you have stepped out of the shadows and told us of your dilemma; now you will have only to suffer the torment of waiting :)
It is good to read that more and more dealers are making the car available for extended test drives. I had to book a twenty minute slot and gave up about ten minutes so that my wife could have a go :( Mark you, that was at a time, December 2007, when there was only one demonstrator and loads of interest :)
It will be good to hear when you have managed to get you order in. In the meantime I am sure that we would all like to know, which colour do you fancy :?: Not, please......................ck :shock:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Peter

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been very fortunate to have a dealer on my doorstep who is willing to put my name forward for the Jag run days and also let my use their demos. The difference in the way we've been treated by the different dealers is quite shocking, with Jag standing head and shoulders above the rest and the worst being BMW who showed no interest or became very pushy about selling me a car now even after I'd explained I couldn't do anything until August/September time.

Colour wise it'll be black or one of the greys, not sure on interior yet but with 2 little kids its probably going to be warm charcoal.

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Jinxy,
I presume you are referring to Guy Salmon in N/pton.
I've always had good service from them and am waiting for my new XF from them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shez said:
Hi Jinxy,
I presume you are referring to Guy Salmon in N/pton.
I've always had good service from them and am waiting for my new XF from them.
Yep thats the one, being dealing with a very helpful person called Lester. My Dad had a S-Type off them a few years ago and has always got on well with them. Wollaston BMW weren't bad but I'm never put a foot inside the Milton Keynes BMW again...ever.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Jinxy,

You've made a great decision and wont regret it. Don't want to wish the summer away but I know that waiting feeling and it does seem to go on for ever :(

Good luck with the final spec and colour, I have the Lunar and am really pleased with it.
Andy

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Just thought I would say welcome again Jinxy and draw your attention to my beautiful Botanical Green example displayed in my signature below :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Got my (Black/Ivory - kids grown up!) from GS N'ton too - not overimpressed with the sales process, but has been fine since I actually got the gorgeous beast.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pekem said:
Just thought I would say welcome again Jinxy and draw your attention to my beautiful Botanical Green example displayed in my signature below :lol: :lol:
Green is not on the cards, my Mum would never forgive me if I bought a green car as there is a running superstition in out family that green cars are bad luck (and with a nick name of Jinxy I don't need anymore...)

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Jinxy said:
Green is not on the cards, my Mum would never forgive me if I bought a green car as there is a running superstition in out family that green cars are bad luck (and with a nick name of Jinxy I don't need anymore...)

Fair play to you Jinxy, I understand that :)
Good news, Botanical Green, when you visit your Mum, could look like this Botanical Green ;)
That's right, on some days it will look green and on others it will look black. Simple, have the best colour and only visit your Mum when it looks Black :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair play to you Jinxy, I understand that :)
Good news, Botanical Green, when you visit your Mum, could look like this Botanical Green ;)
That's right, on some days it will look green and on others it will look black. Simple, have the best colour and only visit your Mum when it looks Black :lol: :lol:
Your right it does sometimes look black...but it is still green and I also don't like green ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts