XF Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you be tempted to buy the new 3 Litre model which becomes available from March :?:
Certainly would be the right thing to do if you want to help the country spend its way out of the present financial situation.
Personally, after taking a big hit on my beautiful 05 S Type and then shelling out the difference for my wonderful XF I would not be able to afford it; not for a good while a least. :cry:
I find it interesting that some people will say that they will buy it because the new engine is greener. It can be said to be greener, but a long way from being green.
Then there is the economy argument, I am not convinced that many present owners could justify a change for that reason.
More power perhaps. Maybe, but is that what you really want :?:
Or perhaps you might be a “I must have it” buyer. I suppose I was one of those back in September of 2007 but that was for an entirely new car and one that represented a huge change in the styling and possibly the future of Jaguar.

What do you think :?:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Definately no. I am more than happy with the 2.7. If I wanted more power, I would have the engine chipped which also allegedly improves consumption. Also, after 3 years, the differences in the depreciation between the 2.7 and 3.0 will have leveled out to a certain extent.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, and the differentials that people seem to have been quoted (e.g the p/ex on the 2.7 vs the new 3.0 price) would suggest that the 'greener and more economical' argument is, to use a technical term, bollocks, unless the (unlikely) intention is to keep the 3.0 for about 15 high-mileage years.

I'm certainly sticking with the marvellous 2.7, but have no argument with those who simply must have the very latest thing. I know that we are supposed to spend our way out of recession, but would rather leave that to others and, at my advanced age, take as few risks with my money as possible!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since posting this thread we have learnt that the following members have decided to go with the 3.00
Roll of Honour

SN08 TOM
Vapourgrey
XFAndy

Anyone else :?:

·
Registered
618 Posts
No, My car is full spec so for 45k i would get a 3.0s portfolio with the added bits to bring to same spec. I would get the bonus of the faster engine and 20 in alloys over 19s and a contrast stitch BUT they want 18k to change!

CBA with that, will probably wait for a 3.0D 2010 XJ

·
Registered
76 Posts
£18k to change, that's crazy.
I just swapped yesterday for £7k to change, which means I gain a years tax, a years warranty, no service to pay, new rubber and as it's a 3.0 S Portfolio it has many more extras and a much better engine. But most importantly after 18 months it will be so much more desirable (read valuable) than a 2.7d when everyone wants the "current" model not the old one.
I calculated that at £7k I have lost under £3k in depreciation for 1 year and 14k miles of motoring - fantastic value whichever way you cut it!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DeKay said:
I just swapped yesterday for £7k to change, which means I gain a years tax, a years warranty, no service to pay, new rubber and as it's a 3.0 S Portfolio it has many more extras and amuch better engine. But most importantly after 18 months it will be so so much more desirable (read valuable) than a 2.7d when everyone wants the "current" model not the old one.
I calculated that at £7k I have lost under £3k in depreciation for 1 year and 14k miles of motoring - fantastic value whichever way you cut it!
DeKay,
I for one wish that you would update your Profile, giving us all a clue as to where you are and then perhaps your dealer would attract some more buyers ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Location Nottingham. Dealer offered good deal because he says my current car is "ideal" spec, and black cars fly off the forecourt so he will re-sell it quickly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
DeKay said:
Location Nottingham. Dealer offered good deal because he says my current car is "ideal" spec, and black cars fly off the forecourt so he will re-sell it quickly.
Mine is a full spec midnight PL with circa 8k on it. Will give your dealer a ring!

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pekem said:
Since posting this thread we have learnt that the following members have decided to go with the 3.00
Roll of Honour

SN08 TOM
Vapourgrey
XFAndy

Anyone else, I ask again :?:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
DeKay said:
I just swapped yesterday for £7k to change, which means I gain a years tax, a years warranty, no service to pay, new rubber and as it's a 3.0 S Portfolio it has many more extras and a much better engine. But most importantly after 18 months it will be so much more desirable (read valuable) than a 2.7d when everyone wants the "current" model not the old one.
Your figures don't add up. The January book price of your car is £29500, in March it will be worth around £28000 (March suffers the highest monthly drop). if the dealer is paying £37200 for your car that equates to a 20% discount! In which case I can't see him staying in business much longer!

Two separate dealers quoted these "top book figures" for my car, which also has an "ideal" spec and only 7000 miles on the clock.

DeKay said:
45 of the 205 XF's listed on the Jaguar approved car website are Black and have been there for some time. My dealer has had five used black XF's on sale for several months which have failed to fly off his forecourts.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
£12 - 12.5K for an Ultimate Black PL 30D.S with B & W, Xenons, Camera, Rich Oak and a smallish discount. The exact figure will depend on next month's Glass' guide prices. The dealer is taking my car in the middle of Feb to avoid the painful March price drop. It also saves £400+ that would have gone out for a service and road tax renewal. Today, after studying the online brochure, I changed the order to a better value 3.0D S Portfolio + parking pack, which adds about £800 to the 12K.

The figures quoted by DeKay are pure fantasy. :shock:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Is this purely a style purchase, Vapour? Recognizing the things that are better than the 2.7, would you ever see that £13k back?

Not passing an opinion, merely interested! :)

·
Administrator
22,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Steamdreamer said:
Is this purely a style purchase, Vapour? Recognizing the things that are better than the 2.7, would you ever see that £13k back?

I think he is doing the sensible thing and is SKIing :!:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well guys you think what you like, I've got a confirmed order at the price previously quoted with deposit paid. In late March I'll be driving around in my new car exactly as described earlier.

Really don't need to justify myself here, just trying to help others - thought that was what this forum was for.

Never mind.................

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Steamdreamer said:

Steamdreamer, no I won't see the 13K back because buying new cars is a mugs game, but I will get a lot of pleasure from owning and driving the car. The Portfolio version might retain a tad more value due to rarity, but that is not the reason I am buying one. Initially I opted for a 3.0D S PL with Metallic Paint, B & W, Bi-Xenons and a Parking pack. I didn't like the standard "mock split rim" Sentas, which meant forking out another £245 for Serenas, the only other wheel option. Total options = £3177. The Portfolio is £3700 more than the PL and has all my extras as standard plus TPM, Premium mats, heated & cooled seats, suede cloth headlining, 16/12 way seats and Ivory or Spice leather. All I need to add is the parking pack, which will be covered by not having to pay for a service and renewing the road tax.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ah well, how boring life would be if we were all the same! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts